• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Just going over the new hunting guide, and saw that air rifles that develop 1,200 fpe at the muzzle are now legal in Md for deer hunting.

Is there such a thing, and what caliber would reach that? Probably cost prohibitive for most though.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don't see any at 1,200 Ft Lbs but I believe Dennis Quackenbush did make one that went to 1,000. His current list of offerings seem to top out at about 500 Ft Lbs but they seem to take down some pretty big game as shown in these pictures:
    http://quackenbushairguns.com/

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    This is one of, if not THE top of the game right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2kMyMLEBA
    Not really. Only 500fpe. Claims its the highest "production" airgun - so really just marketing spin. By production, they must mean mass production. There are many small companies like Quackenbush that are in production and can beat that - just not at airforce qty levels.

Current big guns are running 1500+fpe on Helium. As an engineer it makes me sad to see Helium wasted like that - though its way better than kids balloons! Speed of sound in Hydrogen is 20% higher (for even more performance) and would be safe as long as inert greases (like krytox) and other materials are used. Hydrogen isn't dangerous as a fuel unless it has a readily available similar amount of oxidizer avail. It just burns otherwise. Some airsoft pistols are running "green gas" propellant which is just propane. But I digress.

My big airgun only gets a little over 100fpe:(

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    So DNR is talking out their backside, can't say no to airguns anymore, or are hedging to the future when someone can reach the bar. :sad20:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Don't think so. A member here C.Alls got the law changed so he could hunt deer. His makes over the limit. IIRC, he was hunting w/ it last year as an exemption until the law was changed? Can't remember if he bagged one or not.

Edit: found a link he posted on MDS (to another forum) w/ pics of his rig.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...nd+DNR+is+still+in+shock+about+my+Extreme+.72

He did bag one with it.
    Several of us have shot that beast and it's impressive. Here's a couple of threads showing pictures and a video.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=189933
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=189568

I don't see any at 1,200 Ft Lbs but I believe Dennis Quackenbush did make one that went to 1,000. His current list of offerings seem to top out at about 500 Ft Lbs but they seem to take down some pretty big game as shown in these pictures:
    http://quackenbushairguns.com/

BUT.... getting one is next to impossible..he makes 50 a year and those are sold by lottery..I've sent in a request for 5 years in a row...nada...in fact no one from Maryland has "won" the right to purchase one in 5 years...I finally sent a letter to him asking him why with no response so I gave up. I haven't bought a big bore yet, but there are plenty on the market although I don't know of any that develop that kind of energy...which is a ridiculous requirement since bow hunters don't have to comply (most bows are in the low to mid 100s)

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Quackenbush doesn't produce a rifle that will come close to the 1200ft/lbs required. To hit those numbers you'll need to contact Brent at Extreme BigBore Airguns and understand how to properly tune his .72 caliber bigbore to shoot off of helium. That's exactly what I did last year to take the first deer by airgun in the state of Maryland.

I tuned the rifle to produce 1350ft/lbs from a 4200psi charge of helium. I killed the deer at 113 yards with a 730 grain hollowpoint going a little over 900fps.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Quackenbush doesn't produce a rifle that will come close to the 1200ft/lbs required.

Chris,
    You do know that Md changed the reg's, right? They became effective this past November. Only need .40 cal and 400FPE at muzzle.

Under:
    .05 Devices for Hunting Deer and Black Bear.

C. Firearms.

(1) An individual may hunt deer and black bear only with the firearms in §C(2)—(6) of this regulation, subject to the restrictions provided in §§D and E of this regulation.

(2) A rifle or shotgun propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 1,200 foot-pounds of muzzle energy is allowed.

(3) A handgun having a barrel length of 6 inches or longer and ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more is allowed.

(4) A muzzle loading rifle or muzzle loading shotgun, not less than .40 caliber and using not less than the equivalent of 60 grains of black powder or a single shot muzzle loading handgun or muzzle loading revolver of not less than .40 caliber with a minimum barrel length of 6 inches and using not less than the equivalent of 40 grains of black powder propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge, is allowed. Sabot loads are allowed.

(5) An air gun that:

(a) Propels one .40 caliber or greater bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 400 foot-pounds of muzzle energy; or

(b) Propels an arrow at least 18” in length with a minimum speed of 300 feet per second at release, uses an arrow with a sharpened broadhead with metal points and a minimum width of 7/8 inch, and has a working safety if the device is fired by a trigger.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.03.04.05.htm

Chris,
    You do know that Md changed the reg's, right? They became effective this past November. Only need .40 cal and 400FPE at muzzle.

Under:
    .05 Devices for Hunting Deer and Black Bear.

C. Firearms.

(1) An individual may hunt deer and black bear only with the firearms in §C(2)—(6) of this regulation, subject to the restrictions provided in §§D and E of this regulation.

(2) A rifle or shotgun propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 1,200 foot-pounds of muzzle energy is allowed.

(3) A handgun having a barrel length of 6 inches or longer and ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more is allowed.

(4) A muzzle loading rifle or muzzle loading shotgun, not less than .40 caliber and using not less than the equivalent of 60 grains of black powder or a single shot muzzle loading handgun or muzzle loading revolver of not less than .40 caliber with a minimum barrel length of 6 inches and using not less than the equivalent of 40 grains of black powder propelling one soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge, is allowed. Sabot loads are allowed.

(5) An air gun that:

(a) Propels one .40 caliber or greater bullet or ball at a single discharge which generates at least 400 foot-pounds of muzzle energy; or

(b) Propels an arrow at least 18” in length with a minimum speed of 300 feet per second at release, uses an arrow with a sharpened broadhead with metal points and a minimum width of 7/8 inch, and has a working safety if the device is fired by a trigger.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.03.04.05.htm

The airbow or Air Venturi Air Bolt (which can be fired out of just about all 40-50 cal PCPs) If you get a 40-50 cal PCP you could hunt during both archery and firearms season with one gun...Air Bolt claims upwards of 500 FPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom