Mag capacity / gun purchase question....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Hypothetical....

Is it legal if purchasing, say a pistol with 15rd mags in MD for the gun shop (in MD) doing the transfer to send the mags out of state for the owner to receive them at an out of state gun shop?

Last edited:

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Perfectly. And, the OOS recipient need not be a gun shop. Relative, friend, or rented mail drop/post office box is all good. As long as the Evil Transfer occurs in America (not in Maryland) in any way, shape, or form it is legal.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    What's grey about it? Maryland FFL receives Evil Magazine, then Evil Magazine leaves Maryland.

Not trying to be argumentative, just seeking enlightenment.

Not trying to play opposition here, but technically the seller is offering it for sale while in MD as part of the purchase price of the firearm. On the other hand they're semantically not transferring them in MD, hence the grey area.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not trying to play opposition here, but technically the seller is offering it for sale while in MD as part of the purchase price of the firearm. On the other hand they're semantically not transferring them in MD, hence the grey area.

This. A few shops will/can pin the magazine to 10rnds for the transfer.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

The seller is hardly offering the magazines for sale. They are not part of the price of the firearm. The person selling the firearm is simply sending magazines that they have no use for to an address out of state. Lets not muddy the waters here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The GeorgeSSR vs MegaArms respective posts outline the controversy .

Not nearly as grey as complete magazine rebuild kits, but I can't give it a 100% recomendation to others to do so .

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sending an illegal item to a metal recycling yard out of state, what is wrong with that. You are doing Maryland a favor recommending a reputable recycler that will destroy it. :innocent0

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Not that I would, but.... Hypothetically speaking....

Have your magazine rebuild kits shipped separately. Ask the supplier to ship bodies and baseplates via one shipper, springs and followers via another.

That should be perfectly legal for both parties. The shipper is neither selling nor shipping magazines. You can own and buy parts, to be able to keep your magazines in good repair for safety reasons!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    As little as this state is, it's probably easier to buy your firearm in person at an out of state FFL and get the mags before you leave.

I know several people who do this because the transfer price at FFLs around here is 1/2 or 1/3 the price of buying 2-3 standard capacity mags after the FFL swaps for 10 rounders, or no mags.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hypothetical....

Is it legal if purchasing, say a pistol with 15rd mags in MD for the gun shop (in MD) doing the transfer to send the mags out of state for the owner to receive them at an out of state gun shop?

Let's clarify first because I don't think it's clear and people are misunderstanding.

Scenario 1. you are buying a pistol from OOS, having it sent here in MD for the transfer and then want the LGS here to ship the +10 mags to someone else OOS? And you keep your gun here? You said "Transfer" so that's why I mentioned out of state.

#2 or you walk into your local gun shop here in Md, purchase a pistol(and providing that LGS pistol has 15 round mags in that pistol), have the LGS send them to someone out of state?

Sounds like you you are a MD resident purchasing a pistol that has 15 round mags. You'd like the local gun shop to ship them to a FFL out of state and then you drive out of state to that gun shop and take possession of them and come back home here?

Sounds like an awful lot of work for mags you could probably just go into PA or DE or VA to buy. Like the rest of us do.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    As little as this state is, it's probably easier to buy your firearm in person at an out of state FFL and get the mags before you leave.

I know several people who do this because the transfer price at FFLs around here is 1/2 or 1/3 the price of buying 2-3 standard capacity mags after the FFL swaps for 10 rounders, or no mags.

That assumes the firearm is a long arm and not a pistol. If it is a handgun you are stuck with in state FFL's only.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not really. They purchase the handgun at the gun shop out of state, get the mags, the out of state dealer boxes the handgun less mags and ships it to their MD FFL.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Not really. They purchase the handgun at the gun shop out of state, get the mags, the out of state dealer boxes the handgun less mags and ships it to their MD FFL.

And how would that me any different from buying a handgun in MD and buying mags as separates?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    And how would that me any different from buying a handgun in MD and buying mags as separates?

Some magazines brands are expensive (ex. HK). When you buy a gun it usually comes with a magazine. If you buy it from out of state and have it transferred to your ffl, you get the magazine and drive home with it.

If you bought a handgun which say sells with 2 15 round magazines, you might not get these magazines should you buy them in MD if the dealer does not pin/ mail them out of state.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I guess they don't want 10 round mags on a full size handgun. Figure if you get the same gun the same price whether in MD or you pay for it in PA and have it shipped.

Their shtick is you either travel later to out of state and pay $30/mag times 2 or 3 or you pay ~$60 for a transfer and already have the mags to start with initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom