• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Having taken too many ejected shell casings to the chest at Tom Perroni's last class, I'm building a left-handed AR.

It seems Stag makes the only left-handed uppers (2HTL = http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_23&products_id=221)

... but what about lowers? I think TI makes one, but has anyone here used it? What do y'all recommend for left-handed parts kits? I do want another Timney trigger in this one, plus the KNS pins I've now fallen in love with (Thanks, Chad!), so maybe I should just buy the springs separately, too?

Open to all ideas, just keep it left-handed!

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Basically, there are 3 things you can use to make a standard lower "lefty", or actually "ambi"

1. An Ambidextrous Saftey. These typically cost $25-30 and are easily found all over the net.

2. A Lefty Mag Release. I bought a Norgon version (I like it better than the other types available). Look here: http://www.norgon.com/ They are a bit pricey, but they work! They are available at various web sites. I think I got mine @ Brownells.

3. A Lefty/Ambi Charging handle. These are also made by various companies and are available at many sites on the net, at various price points.

The only fly in the ointment is the lack of a lefty "ping pong paddle", or bolt catch/release. No one makes one of those (that I can find), but it's not too far a reach for my index finger to reach it when in the ready position...

Jamie

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg

overkill

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County
    With a scope mounted it is very ackward to reach the bolt catch when shooting lefty.
    Any ideas?
    I saw a large paddle style button to replace the existing one at one of the shows but it was being made from a local machine shop. The larger surface would be a little easier but it is still is on the left side.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    With a scope mounted it is very ackward to reach the bolt catch when shooting lefty.
    Any ideas?
    I saw a large paddle style button to replace the existing one at one of the shows but it was being made from a local machine shop. The larger surface would be a little easier but it is still is on the left side.

I reach under the receiver when in the shooting position, or I'll rotate the rifle clockwise with the scope pointing to the right and slap the paddle on top with my right hand.

Jamie

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    I hit the bolt catch with my index finger. I have the ambi safety, and I am more than likely getting a ambi charging handle and mag release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom