• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County
    Anyone have a good spot for reloads? Was looking at LAX Ammunition and they had some decent prices. Would love to know if anyone local does reloads and sells them?

ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County

I never really thought of all of this. I just assumed the best case scenario. Thanks for sharing all of this. Guess I'll start looking into maybe reloading some of my own now. Off to buy *new* ammo for now

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I never really thought of all of this. I just assumed the best case scenario. Thanks for sharing all of this. Guess I'll start looking into maybe reloading some of my own now. Off to buy *new* ammo for now
    Better my sisters in the whorehouse than letting anyone I care about shoot reloads they didn’t make themselves or participate in the manufacture of.

I’ll take my danger in other ways.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Better my sisters in the whorehouse than letting anyone I care about shoot reloads they didn’t make themselves or participate in the manufacture of.

I’ll take my danger in other ways.

While I agree on shooting anyone's personal reloads, I'm assuming the OP was asking about commercial reloads, which, if done right, would be very close to new ammo as far as QA.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown

:thumbsup:

I wish it were not the case. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt or loose a gun trying to save a few bucks.

While I agree on shooting anyone's personal reloads, I'm assuming the OP was asking about commercial reloads, which, if done right, would be very close to new ammo as far as QA.

He is talking about commercial reloads, and commercial reloads have a ton of issues. All of the images/posts in my initial reply are commercial re-manufactured ammo.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What caliber?

with Ammo John, I don't see how 9mm reloads can be worth buying.

For his price, its really making reloading my 9mm justified for most of my use.

If you find anything sub 19 cents/round

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but don't shoot other peoples reloads.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/5k1wet/remanufactured_ammo_and_why_you_should_avoid_it/

If you want to shoot reloads, reload them yourself. It's not worth the risk.

Out of curiosity I took a look at LAX. $180 Shipped for 1k 9MM 124GR REMAN.
    https://i.gyazo.com/4be5652296f22a5e49d1ef74370db579.png

Ammo Jon and Shamr0ck - IP's and local, have factory new ammo for $10 more.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=235529

Couldn't agree more! My shooting buddy doesn't shoot my reloads and I taught him how to reload!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

The good news is, you shoot the least expensive centerfire factory pistol round made. And the better news is that you're buying ammo during one of the very best times for pricing in a number of years. So should it come to deciding to reload this cartridge, for now at least, it'll be (compared to many other rounds) less about price, and more about other reasons.

ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County
    The good news is, you shoot the least expensive centerfire factory pistol round made. And the better news is that you're buying ammo during one of the very best times for pricing in a number of years. So should it come to deciding to reload this cartridge, for now at least, it'll be (compared to many other rounds) less about price, and more about other reasons.

Very true. Just trying to find the best prices to start bulking up on. Looking for deals for 500ct and 1000ct bulk. My internal OCD wants to fill shelves and stash away

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Very true. Just trying to find the best prices to start bulking up on. Looking for deals for 500ct and 1000ct bulk. My internal OCD wants to fill shelves and stash away

Listen to your OCD.

Easy to be complacent right now. Let somebody else make that mistake.

Today's pricing and availability can change overnight. Think of that possibility as being about when, and not if.

Check AmmoSeek. IP Ammo Jon tends to offer square deals on this site as well.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have had nothing but good experiences with LAX reloads. I used to use nothing but reloads for practice and shooting the PSA Shootout. Their 147g reloads are very good. I also sometimes buy bulk quantities of Fed AE (147g) and Blazer (124g) ammo from them.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I have seen a few reloading kits for sale recently for 300 or less. If you are primarily interested in reloading for 9mm, you wont recoup your money easily. If you are trying to do larger caliber pistol, match grade rifle or increase accuracy in a rifle, reloading is worth it.

I save roughly 70 to 80 cents a rifle round with my reloads when comparing to match grade stuff and I get better results. If you do the math for 9mm it's about 3 c a primer, 7 c a bullet, and 3 c for powder. I am assuming you have the brass. If not, assume maybe 3 c per firing for brass. That's 16 CPR plus your time. You can push the cost down more by buying in bulk or going with slightly cheaper components but imo it's just not worth it for 9mm

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Dont forget electricity for the tumbler. Not worth it to reload 9mm and .223. I just did it to learn the ropes and move on to .45 and .308

As someone who has reloaded for 35 years and STILL has a lot to learn I agree...don't shoot other people's reloads. I have a few friends that reload and a few have been doing it longer than I have and we have a standing rule....we don't shoot each others reloads. The only time i've bent this rule is when a friend wants to shoot MY firearm with MY ammo. rarely do they ask.

There is a moderate amount of initial money to spend. You can get started easily for $350-400. Do your homework before you buy. And regardless of how "few" rounds you really want to reload a month, at the very least double it. Once you start in one caliber, you may find you want to reload all the centerfire calibers you own.

ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County
    Glad I started this thread, you guys have been a wealth of knowledge. Based on only needing to stock up on 9mm right now, looks like I may just start collecting my own brass and hoarding it for down the road.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Commercial reloads all depend on who mfgs them .

Black Hills reloads are better than most mfg's virgin loads . I'm stretching my memory , but I * think* it's Acurate Ammunition that specializes in actual target grade ammo , supplying such people as the AMU . Georgia Arms also has good quality ammo in both virgin cases, and once fired .

But currently 9x19 loaded ammo is very reasonably priced . You'd have to shop carefully , and buy in serious bulk to have any meaningful cost difference . * If* you are satisfied with the performance and accuracy of generic fmj 9mm , just buy it by the case, and don't look back .

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I was never short of ammo during the last panic.

New laws can come up. Your own ammo factory may be your only supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom