Nixon (R) 4
    Johnson (D) 2
    Kennedy (D) 2
    Eisenhower (R) 5
    Truman (D) 4
    Roosevelt (D) 8

R = 19
    D = 20

Even if you do recess appointments, which are temporary, it still doesnt match your numbers. Only a few recess appointments havent been confirmed by the Senate. It is why you see some presidents have more appointments, but you dont count them twice and you dont count an Associate Justice being confirmed as Chief Justice, it's still only a single vacancy. I dont know where your number came from. Maybe you included people like Bork who was withdrawn because he couldnt get confirmed or you included an Associate to Chief?

Up until 2017 you had to get them passed the Senate with a 2/3 majority which required support of both parties. Hence why R presidents appointed D justices. But since the Dem's wouldnt even consider a Trump nomination, it was changed. I still dont agree with them doing that even though the D's did it with other judicial appointments. They wanted to push Garland through, even though he should not have been appointed. If anything a recess appointment would have been acceptable. But Obama wouldnt do it that way for political theatre to try and sway the election, which he ultimately did to Trump.

If you stop at Eisenhower the count is 20-8 GOP. You missed a Reagan appointee.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    And what rulings would we have had if Scalia, Thomas and Alito not been on the court, but three other justices appointed by progressives?

How would the rulings on Heller and McDonald gone? Hint: they most likely would never have been heard at all.

We would be facing the same kind of bans that NZ and Canada recently put in place.

Which court has given Heller the credit and precedence it deserves outside of DC? And McDonald outside of Illinois? The stepping stones they were are going to be will be reversed after the next Dem replacement of either Thomas or Alito. The next time the SCOUTUS takes a gun case they will do exactly this unless T45 wins and RBG leaves. If either one doesn't happen the 2A is in real peril.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you stop at Eisenhower the count is 20-8 GOP. You missed a Reagan appointee.

Who did I miss? O'Connor, Scalia, and Kennedy. Rehnquist was a sitting Associate SCOTUS appointed by Nixon and Appointed to to Chief by Reagan. If you stop at Truman its 19 - 12.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Which court has given Heller the credit and precedence it deserves outside of DC? And McDonald outside of Illinois? The stepping stones they were are going to be will be reversed after the next Dem replacement of either Thomas or Alito. The next time the SCOUTUS takes a gun case they will do exactly this unless T45 wins and RBG leaves. If either one doesn't happen the 2A is in real peril.

Its been in peril for nearly a century. The SCOTUS has ignored all significant questions to the 2A for several years now. And had before Heller for probably a decade or more.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Who did I miss? O'Connor, Scalia, and Kennedy. Rehnquist was a sitting Associate SCOTUS appointed by Nixon and Appointed to to Chief by Reagan. If you stop at Truman its 19 - 12.

My point is the GOP majority SCOTUS has given us most of the leftist agenda for the last 45+ years. They have not been able to get these things through the legislative process so they use the courts and all these GOP appointees have given most of it to them. And when they didn't just give it to them they told them how to get it next time, re: masterpiece bakery in CO. So to say that we need GOP appointed Justices to get our stuff is a complete fallacy. They are never going to give us a major win, only small ones to keep us hooked and saying we need one more Justice. Just like in the congress they keep saying vote GOP give the majority and we will build the wall, rein in government over reach, or whatever never happens we just get another excuse. We can't do anything need 60 votes in the Senate, BS. If anyone thinks the Dems wouldn't get rid of the 60 vote closure rule if they could get away with it, hell the may even be bold enough now to do it if they get the majority back soon. We are electing the wrong kind of GOP people so we are getting the wrong kind of judges, which are leading to the wrong kind of Justices.

More of the same is just more of the same. If Roberts wasn't squishy it would be Kavanaugh. Hell Gorsuch codified mental illness into a protected class with the inclusion of trans into title 9 or whatever. But we need to keep voting GOP for judges i guess.

One day Lucy won't pull he football and Charlie will actually get to kick it, one day.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    My point is the GOP majority SCOTUS has given us most of the leftist agenda for the last 45+ years. They have not been able to get these things through the legislative process so they use the courts and all these GOP appointees have given most of it to them. And when they didn't just give it to them they told them how to get it next time, re: masterpiece bakery in CO. So to say that we need GOP appointed Justices to get our stuff is a complete fallacy. They are never going to give us a major win, only small ones to keep us hooked and saying we need one more Justice. Just like in the congress they keep saying vote GOP give the majority and we will build the wall, rein in government over reach, or whatever never happens we just get another excuse. We can't do anything need 60 votes in the Senate, BS. If anyone thinks the Dems wouldn't get rid of the 60 vote closure rule if they could get away with it, hell the may even be bold enough now to do it if they get the majority back soon. We are electing the wrong kind of GOP people so we are getting the wrong kind of judges, which are leading to the wrong kind of Justices.

More of the same is just more of the same. If Roberts wasn't squishy it would be Kavanaugh. Hell Gorsuch codified mental illness into a protected class with the inclusion of trans into title 9 or whatever. But we need to keep voting GOP for judges i guess.

One day Lucy won't pull he football and Charlie will actually get to kick it, one day.

Again, up until 2017 there was a requirement for 2/3 of senate to approve the nominees. That required Dem support and you ended up with mid to dem leaning Justices. Especially when D controlled the Senate. The 4 from Obama and Clinton are hard leftist zealots.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I am pretty frustrated with the court and less likely to vote red because of those appointments. But I still think whomever Trump could appoint next would be better than Biden appointing insane judges who believe that abortion until moment of birth is an enumerated right, the electoral college is bad, the second amendment only applies to muskets, freedom of speech does not apply to "hate speech," and religious institutions can be taxed.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Again, up until 2017 there was a requirement for 2/3 of senate to approve the nominees. That required Dem support and you ended up with mid to dem leaning Justices. Especially when D controlled the Senate. The 4 from Obama and Clinton are hard leftist zealots.

Again you make my point the dems get their hard leftists and the GOP gets center left judges. There is always the exception with people like Thomas and Scalia. But by and large the courts lean left to hard left.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I am pretty frustrated with the court and less likely to vote red because of those appointments. But I still think whomever Trump could appoint next would be better than Biden appointing insane judges who believe that abortion until moment of birth is an enumerated right, the electoral college is bad, the second amendment only applies to muskets, freedom of speech does not apply to "hate speech," and religious institutions can be taxed.

Abortion was handed down by a GOP majority SCOTUS in the first place. The current leftist agenda is being done by the current court. They don't need another leftist appointment by Biden or whomever will actually be running things for him as the current group is doing it for them.

None of this changes until some one says not no but HEL NO to the courts and their crazy BS. But there is no one in charge of anything that has the balls to do it, at least on the right. No doubt the next D administration will if they get a ruling on immigration or something they don't like.

The spirit of the age will not be denied.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Again you make my point the dems get their hard leftists and the GOP gets center left judges. There is always the exception with people like Thomas and Scalia. But by and large the courts lean left to hard left.

The court is supposed to be centered and void of ideology. The saying is Justice is Blind. Instead we have Justices that we already know what their decision will be.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Well their sole job is to interpret laws with respect to as written and the COTUS. When they modify laws, as they have been doing, it violates their intent.

Agreed all we can doo know is to just say NO to them, until that is what happens whom appoints them is irrelevant.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is probably just the Post trying to light a fire under democrats to get out the vote, dangling two SCOTUS openings before them. It would be business as usual for them.

This %100. The SC is how dems identity politic women and gay folks into pulling the D. They basically go full roe vs wade for women and go damned near full ISIS with gay people.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This is probably just the Post trying to light a fire under democrats to get out the vote, dangling two SCOTUS openings before them. It would be business as usual for them.

It could be, however everyone knows RBG is running on borrowed time, so I don’t know how much more of an incentive is needed.
    I’d take “unnamed sources” with a very very small grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom