• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    RI could actually prosecute the criminals that use firearms in a violent crime or make more otherwise 100% lawful people into criminals. :rolleyes:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I only know of 1 gun that doesn’t show up on X-ray machines and it’s costs more than most people make in a month. It’s porcelain and is made in Germany. It took me a long time to obtain mine.

Attachments

• FFDA2322-CBB3-4F0C-A195-88C563BF4762.jpg
      FFDA2322-CBB3-4F0C-A195-88C563BF4762.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 396

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I only know of 1 gun that doesn’t show up on X-ray machines and it’s costs more than most people make in a month. It’s porcelain and is made in Germany. It took me a long time to obtain mine.

Dang! This is just like in 1994 when I got my M-Edition Miata. Only a few were imported. 2 other people in Columbia had one.

Now, I guess everybody at AGC is going to be showing off their G7 too. Argh!!!

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    As usual, this will come down to the courts, and take years to resolve.

Are you kidding me? What have the courts resolved in our favor lately?
    The courts are part of the problem.

And our view of "resolved" is the polar opposite of the people who are writing the laws and passing crap infringements. Odds are that when it goes to courts "resolution" is that further talks are put to rest and the law as written stands.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are you kidding me? What have the courts resolved in our favor lately?
    The courts are part of the problem.

And our view of "resolved" is the polar opposite of the people who are writing the laws and passing crap infringements. Odds are that when it goes to courts "resolution" is that further talks are put to rest and the law as written stands.

The hope is that we can get another seat on SCOTUS so that cases we care about aren't punted out of concern they'll go the wrong way. That said, look what just happened: the liberals on the court couldn't be sure that any of the ten 2A cases dangling in front of them would go their way, so they didn't take a bite at them, either. As for "lately," I guess it means how recently you consider "lately." Heller and MacDonald can't really be seen as having gone anything but contrary to the lefties' wishes. These things grind very slowly, but they're now grind with TWO HUNDRED more conservative federal judges than were in place just a couple years ago, including on some notoriously lefty circuits.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    The hope is that we can get another seat on SCOTUS so that cases we care about aren't punted out of concern they'll go the wrong way.

At this point, the courts have lost my faith. Bad laws are created at a rate faster than they can be gotten rid, so the deck is against us regardless how many seats on SCOTUS we have. There is a good chance Trump won't get another appointment. I hope he gets elected, but I am not certain with what is going on in the country and the general short memory that most Americans seem to have. People won't focus on the last bunch of good years, I worry people will focus on the 6 months of turmoil that that came before voting time and blame Trump for that turmoil.

That said, look what just happened: the liberals on the court couldn't be sure that any of the ten 2A cases dangling in front of them would go their way, so they didn't take a bite at them, either.

I get that, but still it's not a win. The cases did not even get heard. That is far from a win. Nothing changed, so I'd consider it a loss.

We can not vote our way out of this nor can we expect legislators to help us
    That's kind of how I see it.
    Your (R) vote in MD is worthless
    Holding signs in protest has not changed the way they write laws. They don't care about you. They don't work for you.

Let's talk about the letters written to the British?
    Let's talk about the protests we had with the British.
    Did the letters and protest change anything?
    Again, past performance is good to predict future results. I'd wager no amount of letter writing and sighn holding is going to change the mind of a politician who has his mind set on a certain course.

T As for "lately," I guess it means how recently you consider "lately." Heller and MacDonald can't really be seen as having gone anything but contrary to the lefties' wishes. These things grind very slowly, but they're now grind with TWO HUNDRED more conservative federal judges than were in place just a couple years ago, including on some notoriously lefty circuits.

When did the Supreme Court rule on the 2nd Amendment?

In 2008, the Supreme Court ruled on the Second Amendment for the first time in almost 70 years after Dick Heller sued the District of Columbia over its ban on handguns in the home. The court ruled in Heller's favor, affirming an individual right to keep handguns in the home for self-defense.

Look up the fastest vaccine to market. It's like 4 years. The average is like 7 years. When the rona came out, they were talking about having a vaccine out in 1 year or less. Point is they were guessing based on something that has never happened before with no guarantee on when it would actually happen. It will happen when it happens, but if you look at past performance to guess on future vaccines, you would not say that you expect to have it in less than 12 months. Point being, what people say and what actually happens is often very different.

Back to 2a. If it was 12 years (SCOTUS in 2008) ago and 70 years before that, we should not expect them to hear a case in the next few years. That being said, the number of bad laws that will come out before the next time SCOTUS comes to "save the day" is likely to be high. Also, the likelihood of SCOTUS slapping down EVERY bad law is not going to happen. Over and over again, I see us winning in the courts as a losing proposition. We have lost in the courts more than we have won, so past performance being the prediction for future outcome, I'd expect to lose more than we will win as time progresses. That does not even take into account the shift our country is going through right now as far as the mentality of the people who have shown over and over again the lean toward the left.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC

Dang! This is just like in 1994 when I got my M-Edition Miata. Only a few were imported. 2 other people in Columbia had one.

Now, I guess everybody at AGC is going to be showing off their G7 too. Argh!!!

Jon probably has an AS-007 to go along with that, doesn't he?

:jealous!

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County

Why not just buy a glass one? Pro'lly less expensive than the fancy German porcelain.

Attachments

• mickelsen_heckler_koch_mp5k-550x372.jpg
      mickelsen_heckler_koch_mp5k-550x372.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 313

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The governor of Rhode Island has signed a law banning "ghost guns" or "undetectable or untraceable" guns. No grandfathering, just 30 days to get them serialized (which I am sure they have no plan for) or get rid of them. I haven't read the final law, but in their house version, the definition of "undetectable" guns was amended to include non-serialized guns. Penalty is up to 10 years/$10k fine per occurrence.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/cranston/ghost-gun-ban-now-rhode-island-law

If I lived in RI, I would simply ignore such an edict.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    At this point, the courts have lost my faith. Bad laws are created at a rate faster than they can be gotten rid, so the deck is against us regardless how many seats on SCOTUS we have. There is a good chance Trump won't get another appointment. I hope he gets elected, but I am not certain with what is going on in the country and the general short memory that most Americans seem to have. People won't focus on the last bunch of good years, I worry people will focus on the 6 months of turmoil that that came before voting time and blame Trump for that turmoil.

I get that, but still it's not a win. The cases did not even get heard. That is far from a win. Nothing changed, so I'd consider it a loss.

That's kind of how I see it.
    Your (R) vote in MD is worthless
    Holding signs in protest has not changed the way they write laws. They don't care about you. They don't work for you.

Let's talk about the letters written to the British?
    Let's talk about the protests we had with the British.
    Did the letters and protest change anything?
    Again, past performance is good to predict future results. I'd wager no amount of letter writing and sighn holding is going to change the mind of a politician who has his mind set on a certain course.

When did the Supreme Court rule on the 2nd Amendment?

In 2008, the Supreme Court ruled on the Second Amendment for the first time in almost 70 years after Dick Heller sued the District of Columbia over its ban on handguns in the home. The court ruled in Heller's favor, affirming an individual right to keep handguns in the home for self-defense.

Look up the fastest vaccine to market. It's like 4 years. The average is like 7 years. When the rona came out, they were talking about having a vaccine out in 1 year or less. Point is they were guessing based on something that has never happened before with no guarantee on when it would actually happen. It will happen when it happens, but if you look at past performance to guess on future vaccines, you would not say that you expect to have it in less than 12 months. Point being, what people say and what actually happens is often very different.

Back to 2a. If it was 12 years (SCOTUS in 2008) ago and 70 years before that, we should not expect them to hear a case in the next few years. That being said, the number of bad laws that will come out before the next time SCOTUS comes to "save the day" is likely to be high. Also, the likelihood of SCOTUS slapping down EVERY bad law is not going to happen. Over and over again, I see us winning in the courts as a losing proposition. We have lost in the courts more than we have won, so past performance being the prediction for future outcome, I'd expect to lose more than we will win as time progresses. That does not even take into account the shift our country is going through right now as far as the mentality of the people who have shown over and over again the lean toward the left.

I like you. Look me up when the boog starts!

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Ghost gun ban is inevitable regardless how many peaceful protesters hold up a sign. What do we don once they ban them and go for the next item to ban?

How to you convey to them that it is not permissable for them to ban these items?
    Awareness is the core problem though. If no one is up in arms in Annapolis, bills get passed more easily, and you're right, what do we do when they're banned? If no one knows the law, how can they hold the state accountable with further protests, lawsuits, and civil disobedience? We desperately need people to give a shit that Annapolis tastes blood. I foresee another 2013 style ban in the next five years, especially when we lose our RINO and get a full blown Democrat governor.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    If ever asked by anyone if I have a ghost gun, I will answer truthfully: “No, I do not have a proton pack. You may want to check with Ray Stantz, Pete Venkman, or Winston Zedmore. I have no knowledge of where Egon Spengler’s ended up after he passed. Thank you and good day.”

Luigi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2010
    So their plan is this:

Make it so you cannot easily get a firearm (wait period, hql, whatever).
    Close dealers during "pandemics" or "rioting" so you cannot buy them.
    Make it so you cannot manufacture your own firearm.
    Get rid of the police.

When is this infringing?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Of course in MD, it won't just be about having a serial number. It'll be about MSP needing a record, and about only FFLs being allowed to pass one along to a resident. They'll make buying the parts illegal in the same way that buying standard mags is illegal. And of course the only people who will get busted and fined and pick up a felony record will be those who stumble into a law enforcement interaction for other reasons (or, say, defend themselves in their house using a home-build P80 that has to go into evidence ... bang). Far more voters in MD are going to happily support these sorts of things than oppose them, that's not even debatable. As usual, this will come down to the courts, and take years to resolve.

Absolutely. I have a family friend who is (well, was) an NRA pistol, shotgun and rifle instructor. Has a ton of guns. Loves guns. Still teaches people (though lapsed because he hates the NRA). Absolutely believes 100% people have a right to self defense and owning guns.

He is 100% against "assault weapons". Doesn't see their place. Thinks they are weapons of war and have zero purpose or use outside of the military. HQL is fine. Thinks there should be a general gun license. No issues with long waiting periods or limitations on how often you can buy a firearm. No issues with carry restrictions. Etc. Ghost guns should be banned. Ammunition should have a background check. I could probably think of some other things he is in support of.

Poking around the edge of it, mostly it comes down to "I got what I want, so this mostly doesn't effect me, or at most is a mild inconvenience".

With "allies" like that, who needs enemies?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The MD General Assembly has proposed bills in the last two sessions to make possessing any magazine with capacity greater than 10 rounds illegal. This is a wake-up call folks.

Expect the MGA to jump on this RI ban next year. If we had a functional National Firearms Association, we could challenge the Rhode Island law through that body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom