• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Which radio do you have and what do you like and dislike about it. Would you purchase the same radio again if not which radio do you wish you would have purchased. I’m trying to stay under $100. Thanks for any input.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Kids gave me a nice one that came highly recommended by a number of their off-the-grid buddies out West. It's made by a company called "Running Snail" (Model MD-090) and it works off battery, crank, or built in solar panel. Nice size and easy to use.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Does the Runny snail radio look like it will hold up to backpack storage and backpack carrying usage?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are we talking about just receiving AM/FM/Weather, or are we talking about being able to communicate with other people?

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Check out ccrane radio:

ccrane.com

Under AM/FM there are also many multi-band radios. They are not necessarily the cheapest but they are high quality and they know and standby what they sell.
    They are running Mothers Day promos right now as well. The CC Skywave is similar to one I have, very small but a good receiver. Get on their mailing list; they still have a decent print catalog.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I have a realistic dx 350 that receives am/fm great, better than the radio in my vehicle. It also has short wave settings. I use the dx350 camping and at work, runs for a long time on a few aa. I have a ge super radio that works great also. The ge is my kitchen radio that I use everyday. Both radios are battery or plugin and receive am from Michigan and New York most nights. Also no problem to tune in any dc station day or night. I would love to find the dx350 with a weather band, that would be my ideal radio.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is there a battery one that also has one of those hand crank power recharge to it? (AM/FM/Weather)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    As much as I have a newfound “love” for Chinese products, the Baofeng radios have been pretty good for their price.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I own a number of Baofengs and after using them for almost 6 months and comparing their ability to recieve to a better receiver, I have to say they are quite limited. This goes even with considerably better antennas than the stuff they come with. The iComms and Yeasus that cost 4 times as much really are 4 times as good because of better reception.

That criticism being made, I still use my Baofeng on a daily basis and just spent nearly $200 on binoculars rather than a Yeasu HT.

(sorry to OP for continuing the off topic)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    OP: Not sure of your requirements, but a Baofeng has an FM radio receiver built-in. It also covers NOAA weather broadcasts. It will also receive FRS, GMRS and other bands, although not shortwave. You can use it as a receiver, just don't transmit.

There's a bunch of accessories you can buy from it, ranging from antennas to high-cap batteries to chargers that fit your house/car/powerbank.

Of course, if you do choose to use it as a transmitter, you will need to get licensed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Midland ER310 if you wants rugged radio with multiple charging options including crank. AM, FM and weather radio. Plus ultra sonic whistle and LED flashlight. $50.

You want communication also, go XT511 base camp radio. $99 has what the ER310 does (well, no whistle) and adds 5W GMRS radio for 2-way communication. Add in $50 for a pair of Baofeng or Retivis GMRS handsets and you are well covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom