• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Asking from ignorance, no snark intended: What's the advantage of this over any other canned, pre-cooked food?

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I don't care if it looks fine and smells fine, I wouldn't eat it today and I sure don't want to eat it in 2050.... yuck. ;)

Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You would if you get hungry enough....

We were cleaning out my wife's grandmothers pantry last summer and there was a jar of canned peaches her G'ma canned in 1984. I opened them and ate them ( on a dare ) the color of the peaches faded a bit but they tasted just fine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Asking from ignorance, no snark intended: What's the advantage of this over any other canned, pre-cooked food?

The things you will want to focus on in a SHTF scenario are fats and protein. Fat lets you get more calories in a smaller package. carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram, fats are 9 calories per gram. It makes more sense to have a can of fatty meat than a can of green beans.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

My family likes Tacos. Its what 90% of what the venison ground goes to.
    Unless there is pre seasoned taco meat in the can, if there was a beef shortage but I had canned ground, that is what I'd use it for.
    One could also take the ground meat and then apply it to other things like Hamburger helper. (or what I did in college which was to add the cheapest mac and cheese to it) Hungry and needing protein it allows you to do something different when you have the raw ingredients.

those are my thoughts

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What's the advantage of this over any other canned, pre-cooked food?

Is there another pre-cooked beef product?
    I have chicken, fish, and spam on the shelf but no beef (other than a chef boy r d type of mixed stuff).
    I have a freezer full of beef but nothing canned. Seems like a good option for long term prepping.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I have chicken, fish, and spam on the shelf but no beef (other than a chef boy r d type of mixed stuff).
    I have a freezer full of beef but nothing canned. Seems like a good option for long term prepping.

Don't know if Walmart still sells this.

th

th

51D6gjoX0-L.jpg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have a case of this on the way. Will open a can when received sometime in the next day or two.

Attachments

• 0E94769D-174A-4DF7-BCC2-28511F3D10E5.jpeg
      0E94769D-174A-4DF7-BCC2-28511F3D10E5.jpeg
      30 KB · Views: 208

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    The things you will want to focus on in a SHTF scenario are fats and protein. [...].
    [...] those are my thoughts

Thanks gents. I wasn't sure if there was something special, prep-wise, about this Keystone canned meat vs. any other canned meat. I may have missed that this was specifically about ground beef.

Just for calories and nutrition, my go-to favorite, Hormel Hot Chili with beans, offers more of almost everything with less fat. But it's not just ground beef. :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Thanks gents. I wasn't sure if there was something special, prep-wise, about this Keystone canned meat vs. any other canned meat. I may have missed that this was specifically about ground beef.

Just for calories and nutrition, my go-to favorite, Hormel Hot Chili with beans, offers more of almost everything with less fat. But it's not just ground beef. :)

Nothing special about Keystone besides it being one of many different kinds of storable canned foods that taste good.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used to eat the heck out of this stuff when I was young. Bread, mayo, and mater.

Attachments

• cornbeef2.jpg
      cornbeef2.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 197

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads