• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    You could go with an Ultimate Bugout bag I found at SHOT Show back in 08. :lol:
    228668_8137777420_1742_n.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Is this to get you to a specific destination or so you can give a bunch of stuff to an adversary? Big bag will draw a lot of attention. This area is to congested to bug out long term without running into people, some of which will want your stuff. You can’t carry everything you will need. Cover the basic 10 c’s and add food and then add some more. I use to think about the mountain man style, but more of an Alamo type now.

There are only three reasons I'd bug out.

1. There is a tidal wave coming
    2. There is a massive fire coming
    3. I am completely exhausted my supplies and need to move on. If this happens, there aren't many people left so it won't matter.

I will not be bugging out unless staying is counter-productive. I hate moving.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those look nice. I have a few Deuter packs, but they are made in Germany.

Whatever you choose, I would definitely make sure it has a good internal frame and suspension system. They are not all created equal. I tried a bunch of brands at REI before settling on the Deuter system. I haven't tried military style packs, but I'd think a black or tan backpacking pack might be worth exploring.

My backpacking pack is a 55l REI pack. Admittedly I don’t go as often as I’d like, but I have a lot of trips and about 15 years on it and still in fantastic shape.

Don’t know about carrying the kitchen sink with me, but it’s managed minimalist 7 day trips. If I were to try to bug out on foot, it and my typical backpacking setup and provisions would go in it. Then I’d carry my midway BoB satchel with a trauma kit, pistol, ammo and mags and carry my rifle. If I thought I could manage it because I was bugging out by vehicle I’d rely on rifle armor and plate carrier as well as battle belt and leave the satchel. Can carry as much spread over that stuff.

Of course that’s assuming I didn’t think I had to go far per day and/or the armor seemed particularly important.

Much better endurance with 50lbs of gear and guns than with 65lbs of gear and guns and armor.

Or if needing to go really light and fast I’d take the hard plates out of my plate carrier, slip in soft inserts and attach the day pack to the plate carrier. But that’s only going to be fine for an overnight before it gets rough. But that whole mess weighs about 34lbs including battle belt, mags, ammo, pistol and rifle.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    Curious for your review

Giving a shot on this LAPG LNT Pack. For $50 I know its not made in USA but I have tons of LAPG gear that hasn't failed me yet. Might be worth a shot to someone else too.

If you buy that pack let us know how you like it.. I purchased an LAPG small pack in the past and it did not hold up well at all... I hope your experience is better than mine..

My attitude on these sorts of purchases is: "Buy once.. Cry once.."

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Giving a shot on this LAPG LNT Pack. For $50 I know its not made in USA but I have tons of LAPG gear that hasn't failed me yet. Might be worth a shot to someone else too.

https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-bg-lnt-pack.html

lapg_bg_lnt_pack_image4__39022.1559442238.jpg

Guess they didn't sell well. I just ordered one, just because. I've bought a lot of LAPG gear. I'll probably go for a Mystery Ranch monster size backpack but this will do until I get the scratch up for that.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Hill People Gear, Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch are my top 3 U.S. made recommendations. Number one recommendation is this HPG pack:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/66

Hill People Gear Qui-Ya. Possibly Ute if you want to add parasite packs and pouches instead of having it all in one giant pack. HPG designs the stuff, First Spear makes it for them in the U.S. Their harness is the most comfortable I've ever used when carrying heavy loads. They are strong 2A proponents and good people. Only annoyance is you need to add the prairie belt to your cart separately because they don't include it automatically.

Kifaru is also awesome. If the pack were specifically for backpacking into an area and for hunting, I would pick Kifaru for sure, but I am not so sure for bug out. The HPG harness is REALLY comfortable.

Mystery Ranch is nice. Used a bunch of their stuff in the mil and for work. Their U.S. made stuff is very expensive. Still prefer HPG but MR is also great.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I got one. Not as big as I thought it would be. I'll try to post something up at some point on it.

It wasn't as big as i thought it would be but still big enough for my needs. Stitching is good, straps and waist band are good, and green color is nice. Havent taken it anywhere yet so reserving judgment until I actually hike some distance with it loaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom