• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    my uncle used to have something that looked like that mounted on the front of a flat bottom skiff. It was a left over from the market hunting days on the eastern shore. I never actually saw it work. But he said on the ice the boat would slide back about 3 or 4 feet.
    Punt gun. :thumbsup:

Mdman

Aug 21, 2007
    denver
    I am going to try a wad of coroplast, its that plastic cardboard like material they make cheap sighns out of(dad owns a sighn shop). In the event that it melts too much to the bore i will switch to regualr card for a wad. Im going to shoot buckshot birdshot and one day hopefully round ball out of it. videos of me shooting it should be up in around a week or two

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Blunderbuss ignorance, here... what is the purpose of the "funneled" barrel? Easier to load with black powder? Why were they designed that way?

ETA: that is a good-looking rifle.

My theory, and only a theory, is that someone thought that a straight walled barrel would keep the shot together, so a funnel shap should help the shot column expand.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Blunderbuss ignorance, here... what is the purpose of the "funneled" barrel? Easier to load with black powder? Why were they designed that way?

ETA: that is a good-looking rifle.

It was a military weapon for when lines of troops would face each other in battle at a hundred yards or less. The funnel muzzle was for quicker and easier loading in battle.
    There is a theory that when it was first used it was thought it would spread the shot more, but this is either unsupported and unlikely, or if true it was a short lived scenario because people realized soon it did not spread the shot quicker.

By the way, Blunderbuss meant bzasically "boom stick" or more literally "thunder" something. When people say they blunder into something, they are supposedly referring to the blunderbuss because back when they were used in battle the purpose was to provide volley fire in mass numbers and not for accuracy. Some generals observed that when aimed at teh other line of troops it would be damn luck to hit what was aimed at a hundred yards so the person hit would be said to have blundered into the line of fire because if they were to stand still when aimed at they would not be hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom