• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What Type Of Optic did You Learn To Shoot A Rifle With?

• Iron Sights

Votes: 153 92.7%
    • Red Dot (reflex, prismatic, holographic, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.2%
    • Scope

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    V-notch rear and gold bead front on an Ithaca 49 single shot 22.

My first gun, Sears-Ted Williams version. I still have it.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Irons, after learning how to use a bow 1st. My dad plus a couple of trips to Boy Scout camp.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Almost Every BB gun I had was a metal ?leaf? Site. Maybe one had a newer style plastic ramp / top version

One, the one with the bigger rounded wooden forearm had iron peep sights, with front having an interchangeable ?insert?

All shotguns had beads.

First real optic was as an adult on a 22. Cheap one, tasco, and it’s still there. It does need something better, but it works.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    While I learned on irons, the poll asks what optic. Since I'm a cranky old SOB, and irons are sights but not optics, I voted scope. Specifically, over 40 years ago it was my father's friends Browning field grade BAR in 30.06 with a 3-9X Leupold scope.

You are correct sir - title fixed.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Old school aftermarket Redfield peep sights on two of the vintage guns. New stuff is all red dot. My eyesight is terrible and only getting worse with time.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I was blessed. My uncle had a *beautiful* BLR 22 that I learned on 50 years ago. Did not appreciate what I was shouldering at the time but sure do have fond memories of hunting whistle pigs on his land up in Bradford County PA. Wonder what happened with that gun - sigh...

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    I joined the USMC at 17 and never saw a scope or optics till after boot camp.

I remember the black on those 6ft targets at 500 yards looked like a postage stamp with a real deal M-16 5.56 with a 20" barrel and carry handle style rifle they issued back then.

I grew up in a hunting and shooting family shooting mostly 30-06 & 12 gauge and .22's in long guns.

Lots of .45acp 1911's and .45lc SAA Colt's in my family then and now some Dirty Harry Model 29's in .44 Mag and Deathwish Wildey's in .475 Wildey Magnum were also big fun, we had a bunch of muzzleloaders too, 3-barreled .36 cal duckfoot was the most unusual but fun said to be popular with pirates in their heyday.

We never hunted with scopes back then either and seldom considered taking a shot beyond 200 yards.

As everyone aged, we all got scopes and started shooting farther out.

I've always preferred a 30-06 like the Winchester Model 70 that came with adjustable sights that way if the scope ever gets fubar'd you can still use the rifle.

Personally, I don't think you should use a scope until your good with sights fixed and adjustable.

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    It would have been interesting to have included age of respondent. But moot point with over 90% iron.
    Didn't learn about scopes for many years, now my old eyes declare a scope a must have.
    Learned on a Red Rider BB Gun with iron of course. Then moved to a Sears bolt action tubular fed, which I still have more than 65 years later.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Learned to shoot rifle on my pop's .22 lever action, micro groove barrel Marlin 39A with iron sights.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Winchester Model 52 with Redfield Olympic peep sights. This was back in 1970 when I first started competing in matches in the basement of the old NRA building on Rhode Island Ave. in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom