• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    https://www.northsidesun.com/news-b...emporarily-bans-open-carry-law-response-covid

“For too long, gun violence has plagued our city and disproportionately affected Black and

Brown communities here in Jackson and nationwide.

In the space of just one week – two innocent children lost their lives due to senseless gun violence.

Many of these killings could have been avoided if we had state law that enabled us to better control the presence of firearms on our streets.

As a city, we have championed progressive programs toward lessening the occurrence of violent crime here in Jackson with our violence interruption and credible messenger programs- to find better solutions to interpersonal conflict before they turn deadly– but these measures alone will not stop the gun crime that we have become all too accustomed to experiencing.

The City of Jackson faces a significant challenge with illegal guns.

The Open Carry Law interferes with law enforcement’s ability to take illegal guns off of the streets.

Prior to Open Carry, when Jackson police officers saw a gun in plain view, it gave them probable cause to seize the weapon and determine whether or not it was an illegal gun.

The open carry law not only provides protection for individuals who are armed with illegal weapons; it also creates an atmosphere of fear and intimidation in the community.

We cannot continue to turn a blind eye to the fact that the Open Carry Law has led to an increase in gun violence in our communities.

Since 2013, child deaths by firearms in the South have increased 72%, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Sending our thoughts and prayers to the families who have lost loved ones to senseless gun violence is not enough.

If we are sincere in our hope for better outcomes and a brighter future for our youth, we must be moved to action. It is this call to action that has led to my decision to issue an Executive Order suspending Open Carry law during the COVID-19 civil emergency. Under State Statute 45-17-7(e), I am given the discretion in the interest of public safety and welfare to issue such orders that are necessary for the protection of life and property.

In this moment of great distress and economic tension it is important that we eliminate the ability for illegal weapons to inflict irreparable harm on our City. I want to make it clear that I have no principal disagreement with the Second Amendment right to bear arms, but all rights must be balanced by reasonable regulations. A right that protects illegal guns and puts more people in fear, a right that escalates conflict beyond a point of resolution, and a right that interferes with another person’s right to live is not a legitimate right to be maintained.

Your right to swing ends at my nose.

While this order will only be in effect for a short period of time, I am calling on all Jackson residents, and all state and local leaders to act in the interest of our innocent children. Repeal the Open Carry law which makes it impossible for law enforcement to root out illegal firearms on our streets.

How many babies do we have to bury to appease someone’s desire to open carry?”

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    For what it is worth, no one in Mississippi cares what comes out of Jackson's City government. I live in Clinton, we share a boundary line with Jackson - believe me, no one expects leadership coming across the line.

State Law is strong on the issue, and any resident should already have an Enhanced Carry Permit so they can disregard effectively all carry prohibitions. This place makes Ohio (my last state) look like Maryland.

Another plus side, regarding 'gun culture,' is that every Jackson City Law Enforcement Officer I've come across has been oddly receptive to the idea of Gun Rights. For example, my first time carrying into the Capitol Building, I wasn't entirely sure what the process was - so at the metal detector, I told the officer I had my enhanced permit, showed him the permit and my license, and it was a complete non-issue. Same at the Governor's Mansion, same at the Civil Rights museum. I think I would have gotten more hostile treatment if I was carrying a cup of coffee.

Everyone is trying to be a leader in a time of crisis, most of them (politicians and media) just come off looking stupid, panicky, or power-hungry. Remember, Jackson is the city that can't keep people from stealing public water.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    For what it is worth, no one in Mississippi cares what comes out of Jackson's City government. I live in Clinton, we share a boundary line with Jackson - believe me, no one expects leadership coming across the line.

State Law is strong on the issue, and any resident should already have an Enhanced Carry Permit so they can disregard effectively all carry prohibitions. This place makes Ohio (my last state) look like Maryland.

Another plus side, regarding 'gun culture,' is that every Jackson City Law Enforcement Officer I've come across has been oddly receptive to the idea of Gun Rights. For example, my first time carrying into the Capitol Building, I wasn't entirely sure what the process was - so at the metal detector, I told the officer I had my enhanced permit, showed him the permit and my license, and it was a complete non-issue. Same at the Governor's Mansion, same at the Civil Rights museum. I think I would have gotten more hostile treatment if I was carrying a cup of coffee.

Everyone is trying to be a leader in a time of crisis, most of them (politicians and media) just come off looking stupid, panicky, or power-hungry. Remember, Jackson is the city that can't keep people from stealing public water.

That’s great context, thank you.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So a valid firearms law is affecting the ability to take ILLEGAL guns off the Street. Really? In what context? And I noticed he failed to give the slightest background on the two killings he stated. And how the hell does the 2A protect illegal guns? Must be the Dimocrats “logic”.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    So a valid firearms law is affecting the ability to take ILLEGAL guns off the Street. Really? In what context? And I noticed he failed to give the slightest background on the two killings he stated. And how the hell does the 2A protect illegal guns? Must be the Dimocrats “logic”.

None of that matters. They don’t care. Never let a crisis go to waste. This is an opportunity to fulfill their master’s orders so they are doing it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Isn't this a preemption issue? Or does MS law allow for temporary "emergency" banning of open carry?

In any event I'd bet the 2 children who were killed were not done so because of open carry. It's been stated more than once that "gang members are not known to open carry"

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The Mayor has an interesting name. The spelling is a little different but the same sentiment is there.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    The Mayor has an interesting name. The spelling is a little different but the same sentiment is there.
    Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba

I believe Lionel Joseph, and Nenge Mboko spent time with him at the Haile Selassie pavillion.

I don't know if they had beef jerky. Or Swedish meatballs.

Merry New Year!!!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    two innocent children lost their lives due to senseless gun violence. Many of these killings could have been avoided if we had state law that enabled us to better control the presence of firearms on our streets.
    Virtual certainty that both were illegal guns possessed by career or active criminals in a household with children. Just as career and active criminals also profoundly elevate rates of rape, child abuse, and child death by beating, stabbing or neglect. wonder if this mayor will actually be data and science driven and note increase is not at all due to gun ownership by legal gun owners
    Since 2013, child deaths by firearms in the South have increased 72%, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
    Since 2013 incarceration rates and time served for violent felonies has dropped in the South. More violent crimes have been pled down as well. Also not mentioned, is this "child" cohort is up to 22 years old with the vast majority and all of the increase in the 17-22 year old cohort and reflects increased rates of crime commission by that cohort.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom