• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was going to refrain from making a comment. However since you posted, when C&R fishing, I agree with not netting and handling these pre-spawn fish. They should be left in the water and unhooked boatside. With single barbless hooks, it isn’t that hard. At least then, the protective slime isn’t being rubbed off of their body, and their own weight isn’t causing pressure to be exerted on the roe sack when being picked up.
    That said, pretty fish!

Personally, I'd just assume they closed spring trophy season, at least for now, but I realize it's part of some peoples' livelihood. So there's that. There are still stronger conservative methods and limits that could be applied as including moratoriums when called for. If we want a healthy fishery, we all need to do our part to maintain that health. Sometimes it will require a little pain. :)

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    With all due respect regarding our endangered Rock fishery, if you don't legally plan to eat it, don't try to catch it. These cows need to be left un-molested - period. Why anyone would need to possibly kill a fish with thousands of eggs to get off or for a nice picture is beyond me. Perhaps if the "sport" catch and release season is terminated, more fish would be available to catch during the optional catch and release season.

The real killer of our Rock fish fishery is Omega Protein in Reedville, VA. The slaughter of our menhaden fish populations is the real reason Bay Rock and Blue fish are endangered. Until this company is shutdown or realistic quotas are enforced, our fishery is doomed. YOMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With all due respect regarding our endangered Rock fishery, if you don't legally plan to eat it, don't try to catch it. These cows need to be left un-molested - period. Why anyone would need to possibly kill a fish with thousands of eggs to get off or for a nice picture is beyond me. Perhaps if the "sport" catch and release season is terminated, more fish would be available to catch during the optional catch and release season.

The real killer of our Rock fish fishery is Omega Protein in Reedville, VA. The slaughter of our menhaden fish populations is the real reason Bay Rock and Blue fish are endangered. Until this company is shutdown or realistic quotas are enforced, our fishery is doomed. YOMV

Get off? Do you feel the same way about that when they are plentiful? Why catch big fish when you can catch small ones. I'm talking all fish species. If you are against catching all fish, well the more power to you. Have you read any of this thread?

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Exactly right regarding Omega, and they need to be held accountable...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Exactly right regarding Omega, and they need to be held accountable...

The striper situation is coastal. It's not just one thing. It's accumulative. Like most big problems, it's never one factor.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Personally, I'd just assume they closed spring trophy season, at least for now, but I realize it's part of some peoples' livelihood. So there's that. There are still stronger conservative methods and limits that could be applied as including moratoriums when called for. If we want a healthy fishery, we all need to do our part to maintain that health. Sometimes it will require a little pain. :)

Honestly, closing the spring “trophy” season wouldn’t hurt my feelings either, livelihood or not.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I don't think that these fish should be targeted in any manner during the spawn, whether it's legal or not.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Driving over Tidings Bridge today, I couldn't even count how many fishing boats were out on the Susquehanna. If pleasure boating/fishing is banned, nobody is listening...

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Today I've seen at least a dozen boats heading down Stoney Creek to the Bay. Some of them even looked like they might be going fishing. When the weather finally breaks for good I'm hoping for massive civil disobedience, at least on the water.

I'm going to take the cover off my boat this weekend and start getting her ready for the summer.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Get off? Do you feel the same way about that when they are plentiful? Why catch big fish when you can catch small ones. I'm talking all fish species. If you are against catching all fish, well the more power to you. Have you read any of this thread?

Yes I do, that way the fish stay plentiful. Have you considered that the mortality rate for catch and release negatively impacts the fishery stocks and ultimately lowers the legal bag limits for those of us that like to catch and eat. Remember how plentiful large Blue fish used to be with the unlimited bag limits?

IMHO, if you do not intend to eat it, don't catch, or spear game fish. And yes I read the thread. And yes I know that are a lot of folks that fish for sport, I'm just not one of them even though I'm a member of CCA.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes I do, that way the fish stay plentiful. Have you considered that the mortality rate for catch and release negatively impacts the fishery stocks and ultimately lowers the legal bag limits for those of us that like to catch and eat. Remember how plentiful large Blue fish used to be with the unlimited bag limits?

IMHO, if you do not intend to eat it, don't catch, or spear game fish. And yes I read the thread. And yes I know that are a lot of folks that fish for sport, I'm just not one of them even though I'm a member of CCA.

Listen, I don't come here to fight with anyone. Properly managed, ALL fisheries can be sustainable, but I find it highly ironic that a meat fisherman is giving shit to a catch and release fisherman for killing off the fish stock. That's a hoot!

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Listen, I don't come here to fight with anyone. Properly managed, ALL fisheries can be sustainable, but I find it highly ironic that a meat fisherman is giving shit to a catch and release fisherman for killing off the fish stock. That's a hoot!

We don't have a properly managed fishery or we would not be having this conversation. With all due respect catching and releasing pregnant spawning cows in the spring for sport may not be the best way to manage a sustainable fishery. I kill and eat on average 2 Strippers a year which is probably a quite a bit lower than the typical C&R fisherman's kill average. I've also skipped spring trophy season for the past few years to do my bit to preserve the cows. I also don't keep or purchase sooks to preserve the potentially pregnant female crabs for the same reasons. All I'm saying is that perhaps we should leave breeders alone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We don't have a properly managed fishery or we would not be having this conversation. With all due respect catching and releasing pregnant spawning cows in the spring for sport may not be the best way to manage a sustainable fishery. I kill and eat on average 2 Strippers a year which is probably a quite a bit lower than the typical C&R fisherman's kill average. I've also skipped spring trophy season for the past few years to do my bit to preserve the cows. I also don't keep or purchase sooks to preserve the potentially pregnant female crabs for the same reasons. All I'm saying is that perhaps we should leave breeders alone.

There's absolutely no way you can back that up. You say you kill only two fish per season. Are you talking about the spring trophy season? Or are you fishing the summer too? The summer season where you catch and release sometimes dozens to catch a limit?

Prefishing the bay in the spring isn't so much "sport". Its to see what is out there. I've gone with them twice and we never caught a thing. Every been out there, pre trophy season? There's nobody out there. At least not on the middle bay. I have fly fished the Susquie flats in early spring for sport. Great fun. Mostly males caught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom