• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    My carry gun is either a Glock 33 or a converted 27. I've stocked up on 357 Sig over time and have plenty, even more than 9mm, 45 or 10mm. I go to ammoseek and order what good 125 gr. fmj I can get for the lowest price periodically. One of the nice things about the guns is that they could be easily converted to 40 (barrel swap) or 9mm (barrel, extractor, magazine) in minutes.

I think most people are like me, have plenty of ammo and just waiting for the pandemic to subside and prices to go back down.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    So looking at my distributors, the ammo shelves in the channel are stripped bare. People are hoarding ammo like it is toilet paper.

Except for one caliber... 357 Sig. That stuff is still available in the channel.
    Which tells me that nobody, absolutely nobody is shooting this stuff, or has it as a go-to gun.

I always kind of liked the idea. Sold my P239SAS in 357 Sig a few months ago. Think I'll sell my circa 1996 P229 as well. Too many calibers around already, and not worth the trouble to track the ammo and practice with it.

I have a 229 with a 40 cal barrel and a 357 Sig barrel. I sold the 357 barrel several years ago.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Interesting. I wonder what a .357 Sig barrel costs for a G22..I have 2...maybe one needs to be "converted"

I have a 40 to 9 conversion barrel for the 22 if you’re interested. I used to have conversion barrels and then I just started buying one of each :)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    .357 Sig: bad guy is dead. Maybe. Usually, but not always. Sonny Crockett haunts you with dreams of Christmas past and future, things that could have been.

10 mm: bad guy bows down before you, before disintegrating into a puff of smoke.

.50 AE: you can get three bad guys in the head and one in the crotch with one boolit and be home for dinner.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sig .357.........
    9f132d5cb9c529fe079680c32af88b07.gif

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its one of my favorites though don't shoot it enough due to cost. I cant even remember if that's the barrel sitting in my 226 right now.

Hey but ammo is available right? Even after .40 S&W is gone.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wait a minute, can the .356TSW be dead, if it were never really alive in the first place ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's an easy two caliber gun if you just pick up a .40 S&W barrel. .357 SIG is not difficult to reload and I have lots of once fired nickel plated brass. Having both calibers convinces me that I will never run out of handgun ammunition.

Same here. I am reloading both calibers.
    9mm certainly seems to be dominating the LE world, so along with all of the military contracts, I don't see any handgun caliber replacing 9mm in my lifetime. If I could only choose one handgun caliber, it would have to be 9mm.

I'm so happy I stock up on 9mm reloading materials. Even when everyone said "don't reload, 9mm is cheap..." It may still be cheap, but if you can't find any...

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    .... The secret service still uses it.

Soon to no longer be true. The Service along with the FAMS will be 9mm in the near future.

I also like the Montana Gold 125 gr bullets for reloading .357 SIG.

My Glock 31 barrel in my G22 cost about $100. I still have a Lone Wolf 9mm to .40 S&W conversion barrel, so technically my G22 is a three caliber gun, but I rarely shoot 9mm. It has been a while but I got a .357 SIG barrel from SIG for about $130, to go with the .40 S&W barrel that came with my P229. When everyone, including the FAMS were dumping the P250, I bought several size and caliber combinations. I think the only gun I can't make out of my kits is a sub-compact .45 ACP or anything in .380. My regular summer carry is a sub-compact P250 in .357 SIG.

Sizing the .357 SIG brass first with a carbide .40 S&W die and being careful with the small flash holes in Speer brass is the only added issue I've had with reloading .357 SIG. Power Pistol has been my preferred powder and unlike every other pistol caliber that I have developed loads in Red Dot, I don't use anything but PP in .357 SIG.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Interesting. I wonder what a .357 Sig barrel costs for a G22..I have 2...maybe one needs to be "converted"

I have a 357 SIG barrel on order from Glock for my Glock 22. You need to order by mail as they need your serial number. Early Glock 22s are not suitable for the 357 SIG. As i recall the barrel was $125; with shipping and tax it will be about $150-$160.

I currently have a very inexpensive barrel that i bought just to test out the caliber. I believe it was about $60.

Josey Wales

Aug 4, 2010
    Why ?

Why did Sig create a a proprietary cartridge then not back it ?

When this came out just about all of the Secret Service guns were immediately re-barreled for 357 Sig.

That speaks volumes but, then they never really produced a 357 Sig caliber rifle ? ? ?

If they had I would have bought at least two.

Now some people are trying to re-vive the 5.7 round ?

Both are good rounds but gheeze.......ya got my hopes up and then let me down as Sig normally does.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    While I sold the P229 Sport in .357Sig I ran in competition years ago I still own the HK USP-C in .357Sig I used in IDPA. Since then it has acquired .40S&W and 9mm barrels as well. Got a lot of Speer Gold Dots stashed away in a shoulder bag for the inevitable SHTF.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    When the Secret Service transitioned from revolvers around 1991, the first choice was the Browning High Power in 9mm. There was a lot of testing and a fair amount of politics that went into the process. Somewhere in the process, SIG Sauer was given the contract for the P229 but SIG couldn't supply enough of the pistols right away in .357 SIG. The P226 in 9mm were issued for the transition and it took about a year to get enough P229 pistols issued. Supposedly .357 SIG ammunition was chosen for it's penetration and consistent expansion due to very good velocity. The FBI was dealing with their 10mm/.40 S&W issues and the Service is notorious for doing anything to be unlike the Bureau.

Prior to the P229, the Uniformed Division carried 4" S&W Model 15 and the duty ammunition was +P+ .38 Spl. The agents carried 2.5" S&W Model 19 and the duty ammunition was .357 Mag. Unlike most LE agencies, the Service had monthly requals for anyone working in DC, so the proficiency levels were a little better than departments that shot quarterly or yearly.

No round is magic. Shoot what you shoot best and shoot often.

Be safe.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And that's why till this day, 12 round semi auto guns are loaded to 6 rounds because of the antiquated qualification course still meant for revolvers. So stupid.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If I were more into collecting handguns, I would own something in .357 Sig. I think it is a cool cartridge.

As is I don't even own a handgun chambered in anything that could take out a charging grizzly that's high on COVID. Or a bison. Or an elephant. Or a polar bear. Or a velociraptor. Can't be pining after nice to haves like the .357 Sig when there is a gap like that in my collection.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Pennsylvania Game Commission use Glocks in 357 sig as their issued sidearm. They feel it offers the best possibility of penetration through hunting clothes if needed.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Why did Sig create a a proprietary cartridge then not back it ?"

The 125 grain 357 Magnum load then was the most effective stopper and this was Sig's answer to put that performance in an auto pistol of reasonable size.
    Since that time, bullet and load technology has put most popular cartridge penetration and terminal effectiveness on a more even platform.
    This is relative to law enforcement and civilian ammunition. The FMJ use in military application is about the same as it was years ago.
    Give it 10 or 20 years...big bullets will be back.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Never, ever had a failure to feed in the quadzillion rounds of it I have fired. I am sure that has to do with the shaped down neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom