Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 15th, 2020, 05:42 PM #31

He must not have liked his job/ career field , and been looking for a creative way to resign .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2020, 07:42 PM #32
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

He has my respect.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 12:20 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
This.

Say whatever you want. Say it as a representative of the Dept and you risk disciplinary action. That's pretty clear in any Social Media General Order that I've ever seen.
Government employee in generally. If you in anyway represent yourself as speaking on behalf of the government, and that’s as simple as saying “I I am biff, I work for the USDA, what I believe is...”

Your free speech rights end. If you say something solely in your own capacity and do nothing that can reasonably connect you to your government employer, you have pretty broad free speech. More so than someone working for a private employer does (where at least in at Will states your employer can absolutely terminate you for what you say in your own time).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 12:24 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraineMan View Post
My Kingdom for consistency in enforcement. Len Foxwell has been parading his vitriol around on Facebook, with "Chief of Staff, Comptroller of Maryland" emblazoned across the top of the landing page. If the Intro section said something benign, like "Concerned citizen, Father of several juvenile delinquents" I might be more concessional, but it's clear he's "wearing" his employer's uniform here. Is he subject to State regulations on reporting and data retention? AG Frosh's office doesn't seem to think so.
Because his boss is blatantly corrupt. Another example, Have you seen Trump take action against any of his senior officials who have regularly broken the hatch act? Nope, not at all.

Usually the higher up in an organization you go, the more immune you are to that kind of stuff. Though if your boss is actually principled it doesn’t matter because they will still come down on you like a ton of bricks.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 05:33 AM #35

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

He may be right when it comes to the message, but he effectively resigned the second he sent the message while in uniform. There's absolutely no defense of that from a legal standpoint.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 07:16 AM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
He may be right when it comes to the message, but he effectively resigned the second he sent the message while in uniform. There's absolutely no defense of that from a legal standpoint.
^^^^^This.

In my experience, you can be a public employee and be entitled to your opinion. How and where you choose to express your opinion varies in risk to you/your continued employment.

The more junior you are, the more likely you are to be diddled for expressing your opinion...whether it’s right, wrong or even popular.

There are exceptions to every rule. If someone has a rabbi/Dutch uncle/guardian angel in the organization, they can and do get away with equally (if not greater) “egregious” behavior because they are protected. It’s no defense to point that out after the fact.

Wearing a uniform for your employer? Well, ding ding ding, you are generally held to a much higher standard.

Organizations and bosses reserve the right to ignore Jane or Joe when they say/do X, but screw Sam or Samantha if they say/do the very same X. Get over it. Life ain’t fair.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues