• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    What's better than one new handgun? Ten, obviously, but I only bought two this time around.

Picked up my P320 X-Carry and my APX Centurion today.

Both of these fit my hands really well and the X-Series grip is way more comfortable in my hands than the standard 320 grip module. The flat trigger I didn't originally think was necessary, but after some dry firing, I want flat triggers in everything.

The APX has a very aggressive grip texture, more aggressive than even my M&P M2.0 which will take some getting used to as will the trigger safety. Slide serrations are different than most handguns, but not a bad kind of different in my opinion. Mags eject smoothly but finding standard capacity ones is more difficult since most places only seem to stock the mags for the full-size model.

Picking up some standard capacity mags when I visit Delaware tomorrow and looking forward to getting these to the range next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
      IMG_2292.jpg
      159.6 KB · Views: 440
    Last edited:

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Finally taking these out to the range tomorrow, seems like every time I've tried to since I got them it has either rained, something else has come up, or in the case of yesterday I really just wanted to shoot rifles. Also joining them at the range tomorrow will be this factory refurbished red box full-size P320 in .40S&W that I picked up today. I popped it out of its standard grip frame and put it in an X-Series one with a mag funnel and grip weight. The mag funnel has to come off until I decide if I want to buy base pads or just run it on my X-Carry like I originally planned since those mags already have base plates that fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.jpg
      IMG_2378.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 244

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice. Let us know how they shoot.

Yes! I'll second that.

I'm also planning a range trip tomorrow morning, too: pins and steel practice. Gonna take the CZ Shadow Orange (steel) and Colt 1911 Commander (pins) and hopefully put about 250 downrange between the two. I'm rusty as hell. This is only 4th range trip this year and two of those have been indoors.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I took everything out to Schrader's in Henderson this morning and met up with IX-3. I have an 8 pistol case from CaseClub showing up today so this was the last range trip where I have to have a bunch of cases laying around and probably the last one where I need the ammo can of magazines.

Range Report:

The X-Carry is a joy to shoot, that flat trigger makes a world of difference. Actually, it kind of ruined my P365 and the 40 cal P320 for me because of the noticeable difference. I think both of them will be getting flat triggers very soon. I ended up running it with the mag funnel on it since I had Gray Guns Hard Duty Use base pads on the 17 round mags already and did not have any for the 40 cal. The mag funnel is staying on it since it gives it a nice finger stop, it also means I don't have to spend another $120 on base pads and square detent plates for the .40 cal. If I get into a shooting sport it's going to be my goto pistol. I put around 100 rounds through it, mostly Federal American Eagle 115gr FMJ, but I also ran through a mix of Sig Elite Performance and Hornady Critical Defense ammo that I had sitting around. Did not have enough of either to make two mags of each so I split them between two mags, one for the X-Carry and one for the APX. I need to pick up one more 17 round mag for it and 5 more 21 round mags.

Speaking of the APX, I'm a bit disappointed in it. It feels great in my hand, but as soon as I start shooting it stops feeling so great. I think I need to go up one back strap size. I stupidly didn't take them all with me because the installed one seemed to fit fine, lesson learned. That's annoying, but I'm also concerned that it does not eject as well as any of my other guns. The casings were barely ejecting a foot away, I had several end up on my arm, and I was using the same Federal and defensive mix that the X-Carry was lobbing 2+ feet away. This would not be my first choice of gun for any current or future planned event as it currently performs. I had hoped it would prove itself and become a good backup bump in the night gun in case something comes up with my M&P, but currently, I would feel better using any gun I own other than it. Hopefully, a change in the back strap will help with the grip annoyance. I'm going to look up videos on it to see if APXs just have weak ejection or if my grip issues might be causing that as well.

Lastly the P320 in .40S&W. This is the second caliber this week that I was expecting a kick from based on internet writings (.357 magnum was the first) and there was nothing noticeable. Not snappier than 9mm, not a pain to shoot, I like it and will probably be considering more 40 cal pistols in the future. It had zero issues with Tula steel cased 180gr, S&B FMJ 180gr, and Winchester White Box FMJ 165gr. I won't be running Tula in it constantly but it's good to know it handles steel cased ammo fine. The X-Series grip addition allowed for a nice grip, the grip weight isn't noticeable in it, and I don't think I'll be adding a mag funnel to this. Last night I had to do some Dremel surgery to my base plates because the wings on the side did not allow the magazines to seat fully. Just used a sanding drum and had everything fitting in less than 5 minutes.

I think the next range trip I'm just going to take the P320s and APX to really focus on accuracy with the 320s and try the different back straps on the APX. Today was just a can I hit a target with it, holy crap I'm rusty day and I also changed my grip so I need more practice with it. Overall shots seemed to go where I wanted them to but I didn't swap targets out between guns as often as I should have. Also open to suggestions on pistol targets, the D-1s and Shoot-N-C 8" targets I have currently are fine but I need to order more soon so if there's something I should try let me know.

Attachments

• FC073ED9-A09C-437A-A375-6234BDEB3151.jpg
      FC073ED9-A09C-437A-A375-6234BDEB3151.jpg
      178.7 KB · Views: 206

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the nice report. I too have a Sig P320 (the Carry version) and really like it. I recently sent it in to the Sig Armorer to have a red dot sight installed but have not had a chance to get out to the range to check it out since I got it back. When I get to CC after I move out of MD, the P320 would be high on my list of EDC. It feels and shoots great. I hope you enjoy your P320's as much as I enjoy mine.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom