• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Sorry for the thread revival...but how are you PSL's shooting? I am just as confused on the Kalinka scopes...looking for one now.

AS for scopes... There is a lot available out there for the PSL.

just make sure you get the one that has the SKS/SVD mount. The AK mount is totally different and will not fit the PSL. I personally like the 8 power PSO type scopes with the Dragunov rangefinding reticle. It is very easy to use after you figure it out.

The standard scope for the PSL is a 4 power scope that is not the greatest. It is adequate for intermediate range shooting. it also holds zero really well. If you dont have a scope for it yet. I would go with a kalinka low mount and a standard scope that is centered to the bore axis. As you may well know, PSO/ PSOP type scope are a little bit offset to the left and can cause windage issues when zeroed at shorter ranges.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice, most of these AKs come in with a rust spot or two. I dont think they store them wonderfully before assembled.

Nothing a little steel wool (brass wool) and oil wont fix.

Check the gas tube too I have had new AKs out of the box with rust in the tubes.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Heres mine, I miss her:

Shot VERY well, but then again I made lots of mods to it. The Scope was too high, but I remedied that.

Heres my PSL. I refinished the metal and wood, recrowned the barrel, Installed a RSA Trigger, and Polished up the action. The scope in the pic is no longer installed. It now has a Russian 8X POSP, and the bipod is removed (Used only for initial relaibility and testing/photo purposes). I working on a barrel weight to help the barrel harmonics, but its no where near completion.

dragunov001.jpg

dragunov002.jpg

dragunov003.jpg

dragunov004.jpg

dragunov008.jpg

dragunov007.jpg

dragunov006.jpg

dragunov005.jpg

dragunov009.jpg

Then I changed the Scope to a more "correct" scope, and right before I sold her. :(

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Beautifal PSL Chad! Makes me want to get mine out of the safe and start to work on it. Mine is all original still, but I have a long list of upgrades planned for it when ever I get time. I will say, even in it's stock form it is a ton of fun to shoot, and busting soda cans at 100yds isn't any sort of challenge with these rifles. I have never tried mine on paper to see what type of groups it can shoot, as I never really intended to use it for that. To me it's a great can plinker when I get out of the range of my AK.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Beautifal PSL Chad! Makes me want to get mine out of the safe and start to work on it. Mine is all original still, but I have a long list of upgrades planned for it when ever I get time. I will say, even in it's stock form it is a ton of fun to shoot, and busting soda cans at 100yds isn't any sort of challenge with these rifles. I have never tried mine on paper to see what type of groups it can shoot, as I never really intended to use it for that. To me it's a great can plinker when I get out of the range of my AK.

*drools* Damn, you did some work on her! Do you remember the specific "correct" scope? This looks like it is it...
    http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/posp8x42d.html

Thanks gentleman.

Yes its a 8x42 POSP scope on Black Finish. I get mine from Kalinka Optics

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    bought one anyway, now just have to wait until next week to pick her up. trust me, if you buy from jg sales, call them and just pay the ten dollars for hand select. The rifle I got had matching furniture, little to no rust, canvas and leather scope cover, shiny bore, managable cosmo, and the tip2 scope came with the eyepiece, lens cover, and sunshade. Cannot wait to get it. I almost feel guilty because so many complained on JGs website about mismatched wood and I got a matching set and I am going to coat it or replace it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad,

What did you use to finish the wood? Also, where do you get a cheek piece like that?

The cheek piece is one designed for a HK91. It was solid rubber. Gunparts corp used to make them but they discontinued production. I sold all of the ones I had stockpiled.

I filled the holes with Epoxy, and painted it with texture paint.

ATI makes this one: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/UNI-CK.aspx

This one is hollow plastic so you will have to fill it on the screw holes and the cavity under it if you want to attach it via industrial velcro like I did.

The finish is red food color for the base dye, then 3 coats of Minwax 215 Sedonia Red Stain.

Before applying the red food color I burned the wood with a torch to make the grain stand out.

On top of that is 25 coats of hand rubbed high gloss polyurethane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom