• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a Remington 700 LA in .280 Remington. This rifle sports the BDL deluxe walnut stock. This is strictly a hunting rifle. What are the real word accuracy expectations of bedding a rifle?

Would it be better to use the wood stock or save that and use one of the molded stocks and bed that one?

How hard are the kits to use? I have watched a few videos, and such, it does seem a little tricky.

Any opinions and/or tricks of the trade are welcome.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No need to get a kit. The two products recommended for bedding these days is MarineTex and Devcon 10210 Plastic Steel.

You need some release agent. Kiwi Neutral shoe polish works. As does Johson Paste Wax.

You need some blue tape to keep the bedding compound off of visible areas. And some clay to fill cavities, so you don't glue the action in the stock.

How much accuracy you will gain depends on how much the current fit to the stock is bad. How does the gun shoot now?

Also, another option is a replacement stock that has an aluminum bedding block. No bedding needed, just bolt in and go.

HS Precision makes stocks with bedding blocks. Also Manners, MacMillen and many others.

A good source for stocks: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    No need to get a kit. The two products recommended for bedding these days is MarineTex and Devcon 10210 Plastic Steel.

You need some release agent. Kiwi Neutral shoe polish works. As does Johson Paste Wax.

You need some blue tape to keep the bedding compound off of visible areas. And some clay to fill cavities, so you don't glue the action in the stock.

How much accuracy you will gain depends on how much the current fit to the stock is bad. How does the gun shoot now?

Also, another option is a replacement stock that has an aluminum bedding block. No bedding needed, just bolt in and go.

HS Precision makes stocks with bedding blocks. Also Manners, MacMillen and many others.

A good source for stocks: http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Thinking about the hs precision target tactical for my 700 varmint. Hopefully with the hand loads and new stock I should be able to realize my .75 moa goal. That is if the shooter does his part...

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    The rifle shoots pretty good now. I haven't measured groups in awhile. I'll double check the next time i hit the range. But its like adding that bigger
    carb to the hold hot rod. Always tinkering.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nothing wrong with tinkering.

That is how I ended up with a Manners T4A and Timeny trigger, and Schuler muzzle brake on my 700. :)

If you are looking at an HS precision, check for a used one. People take them off the their 700s for a chassis system and you can a nice stock for less.

I have the one off my PS-1, but it is earmarked for a friend.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Nothing wrong with tinkering.

That is how I ended up with a Manners T4A and Timeny trigger, and Schuler muzzle brake on my 700. :)

If you are looking at an HS precision, check for a used one. People take them off the their 700s for a chassis system and you can a nice stock for less.

I have the one off my PS-1, but it is earmarked for a friend.

any suggestions on where to find it used?

Timeny trigger may happen before the stock...seems like an easy drop in and it doesn't seem like the stock trigger wants to adjust below 3.5lb

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, SMALL changes on the adjustment screw.

Look on Sniper's Hide Classifieds. I see HS stocks every so often.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Yeah, SMALL changes on the adjustment screw.

Look on Sniper's Hide Classifieds. I see HS stocks every so often.

:thumbsup:
    thanks appreciate all the help...maybe instead of throwing money at the rifle I should get to the range at some point and start working on load development.

Oh well all these new accessories seem like good investments.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    :thumbsup:
    thanks appreciate all the help...maybe instead of throwing money at the rifle I should get to the range at some point and start working on load development.

Oh well all these new accessories seem like good investments.

30 years ago, before I bedded my Rem 700 BDL, I worked up a handload that got me a 1" to 1-1/2" group at 100 yds. After bedding my rifle with Accra-glass (this was back in the day... Pine Cone's suggestion is what a lot of people do today) and doing some trigger adjustment (I still have the factory trigger in place) I can get 1" or a little less using 168 Sierra MAtch KIng bullets..not a lot of difference. In fact, I actually more often these days just load Sierra Game King 165 gr HPBT or 165 SPBTsince there is minimal difference in group size and these perform well on deer (main difference I can tell is there is a bit more variance in weight from projectile to projectile. I use IMR 4350 but can't remember off the top of my head the exact load...but it was near maximum for 30.06. (I also had a pretty good load with IMR 4381, but stopped using it years ago)

Factory ammo gets any where from pretty good accuracy (about 2" or slightly less, even bedded) to WTF (I shot some 165 gr Prvi Partizan SP that shot 4" groups. Won't be buying anymore of that anytime soon). Remington Core lokt usually shot around 1-1/2 - 2" and less after bedding.

All that to say handloading increased accuracy more in my Remmy 700 30.06 than the bedding did.

I do have Timney trigger on a Ruger 77 V in 6mm Remington and a Rem 700 Varmiter in .223 (both these are bedded as well). I think the bedding actually benefited the heavy barrels a bit more than the standard barrel 700 BDL in 30.06. I get 1/2" or there about in my Ruger 77 6mm and about 1/2+ up to 3/4" in my Rem 700 Varmiter...both using handloads.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    any suggestions on where to find it used?

Timeny trigger may happen before the stock...seems like an easy drop in and it doesn't seem like the stock trigger wants to adjust below 3.5lb

I put a Hogue stock with full length bedding block and a Timney trigger on my Remington 700 in .270 Win. The process took about 30 minutes and made a pretty good difference. I'm looking at a Remington 700 in .25-06 and will probably do the same thing to it once I get it.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    As someone who bought a used HS Precision stock for my 223 700 HB rifle some comments.

It is easier to find them in a short action version. It is easier to find them in a HB configuration.

If you are looking for a used HS Precision for a long action and/or a sporter profile barrel - good luck - you will need it.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    The short answer to your question is yes. Bedding can increase your accuracy. It is like a car. Bolting on an air intake can and will increase your power, but to see the full potential, you need the intake manifold, headers, cam, throttle body, etc, etc..

Everything works in concert. If you are expecting the bedding to be the be all end all, you are probably going to be very disappointed. The action needs to be tuned and blueprinted, the crown properly cut, the trigger tuned, a beefier recoil lug installed, etc. After all of this, the ammunition needs to be "tuned" to the rifle. Everything together maximizes the potential of each individual part.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The short answer to your question is yes. Bedding can increase your accuracy. It is like a car. Bolting on an air intake can and will increase your power, but to see the full potential, you need the intake manifold, headers, cam, throttle body, etc, etc..

Everything works in concert. If you are expecting the bedding to be the be all end all, you are probably going to be very disappointed. The action needs to be tuned and blueprinted, the crown properly cut, the trigger tuned, a beefier recoil lug installed, etc. After all of this, the ammunition needs to be "tuned" to the rifle. Everything together maximizes the potential of each individual part.

:thumbsup: Sounds like a good summary to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom