• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silent Stalker

Shooter
    Feb 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Just wanted to get an idea of where to go and what i need to do to convert the sps tactical so it has a removeable magazine and possibly your opinions on it.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    badger makes a kit that uses aics mags, not sure what if any inleting will be needed for your stock

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If you want good reliability then stay with the factory box.
    IMHO, the factory box magazine is actually what most folks would do best with. Even though I have a few aftermarket detachable mag equipped rifles, I'm still not fully decided I need DMs for anything but tactical competitions, and even do OK without them there, turning in OK times on the timed events.

DMs are only faster if you have a few already loaded, otherwise, one just can't beat stuffing a few shells at a time into the mag well from above: No loose parts, no fine motor skills, just dump them in nose-forward and press them against the follower, down and back. No need to even look, and a kid could do it in the dark.

For hunting, field matches and other activities where I'll carry the rifle a lot, I actually prefer the factory box/smooth floorplate style due to comfort. When the hand is under the balance point of the rifle, usually around the front screw in a heavy barreled gun, there is no sharp-cornered mag box protruding to interfere with an easy grip.
    A high percentage of the aftermarket Detachable Mag kits have issues. Brand does not matter.
    I would agree when we talk drop-in budget stuff, but the "harder" (and much more expensive) stuff works fine. I've installed three Badger M5s on my own rifles and another half-dozen M5s and Surgeons for friends that are trouble free. There's another maker out of Canada that I cannot recall at the moment, who has a good aftermarket setup too.

Surgeon and Badger floor metal kits come with precision length pillars for epoxying into wood or FG stocks to provide the right relationship between the box and action. On the HS Precision stocks, I just mill the bottom of the aluminum bedding block along with the composite inletting contours so that the thickness is the same as the pillars are long. Makes for a solid and reliable setup in which the high quality magazine is precisely placed to provide correct feeding.

These particular DM setups use standard 5 and 10 round AICS magazines, which also see military service in several countries and are nearly bombproof. I'm feeding two .308s with them, a .260 and a .243, and find them as reliable as the factory box.

AICS0001.jpg

AICS0005.jpg

AICS0006.jpg

AICS0008.jpg

5 round mags, 10 round mags, and the 20 round M-14 Magazine on the right is for scale:

AICS0021.jpg

g260-10.jpg

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    IMHO, the factory box magazine is actually what most folks would do best with. Even though I have a few aftermarket detachable mag equipped rifles, I'm still not fully decided I need DMs for anything but tactical competitions, and even do OK without them there, turning in OK times on the timed events.

DMs are only faster if you have a few already loaded, otherwise, one just can't beat stuffing a few shells at a time into the mag well from above: No loose parts, no fine motor skills, just dump them in nose-forward and press them against the follower, down and back. No need to even look, and a kid could do it in the dark.

For hunting, field matches and other activities where I'll carry the rifle a lot, I actually prefer the factory box/smooth floorplate style due to comfort. When the hand is under the balance point of the rifle, usually around the front screw in a heavy barreled gun, there is no sharp-cornered mag box protruding to interfere with an easy grip.I would agree when we talk drop-in budget stuff, but the "harder" (and much more expensive) stuff works fine. I've installed three Badger M5s on my own rifles and another half-dozen M5s and Surgeons for friends that are trouble free. There's another maker out of Canada that I cannot recall at the moment, who has a good aftermarket setup too.

Surgeon and Badger floor metal kits come with precision length pillars for epoxying into wood or FG stocks to provide the right relationship between the box and action. On the HS Precision stocks, I just mill the bottom of the aluminum bedding block along with the composite inletting contours so that the thickness is the same as the pillars are long. Makes for a solid and reliable setup in which the high quality magazine is precisely placed to provide correct feeding.

These particular DM setups use standard 5 and 10 round AICS magazines, which also see military service in several countries and are nearly bombproof. I'm feeding two .308s with them, a .260 and a .243, and find them as reliable as the factory box.

AICS0001.jpg

AICS0005.jpg

AICS0006.jpg

AICS0008.jpg

5 round mags, 10 round mags, and the 20 round M-14 Magazine on the right is for scale:

AICS0021.jpg

g260-10.jpg

Eshell,

I agree with you on all points. I guess I should have been more clear but you said exactly what I meant.

Many of our clientel wish to go the cheap route, even against our advice to buy better quality. The ones that do take our advice usually do buy the good stuff, then hack things installing it themselves, or letting someone with no experience install the device, then after its all messed up, they want us to make it right.

A precision rig is a costly path and your advice is right on.

It appears that you know how to do it right, and your jobs are flawless from what I see in those pics. Amazing work Sir! :) :thumbsup:

EDIT: Beautiful and well thought out sticks BTW. :)

Aug 21, 2012
    rem 700 sps mag conversion

the badger mod is a great mod. problem is the stock requires inleting. the company offers to do it for you for about 75 bux but they wont do it on the hogue over molded stock(which comes on the sps tacictal). it is possible to do it yourself but u will soon realize why badger wont do it for you. its a pain in the ass and nearly impossible to make it look perfect. but if you take your time and have a steady hand it is worth it; especially if u have a one piece scope mount and are tired of toploading. but be prepared to spend 80 bux for a ten round acis mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom