• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    OK Hunters. I have been inspired and decided to plan a DIY elk hunt for 2019. Now is the time to start planning (if I am not already behind). This will be my first elk hunt. My experience is about 4 years of hunting mainly whitetail deer in MD and wild hogs in other states. The whitetail deer has been public land with my only successes during archery season (crossbow, but I am building confidence in my compound bow and feel I am ready for that challenge). Hog hunts have been pretty much guided, take you to the stand, point, shoot, enjoy the meat.

I have started my research which has been about a week's worth of fantasizing and this is what I have so far
    -There are five western states with over the counter elk tags: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah and Colorado. A good source of information on http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/western-states-over-the-counter-elk-tags-non-residents/.

-Going through the different states I am leaning towards Idaho. My reasoning as follows: 1)Has OTC elk tags 2)beautiful backcountry 3) tons of public land 4)decent success rates for OTC hunts depending on the unit you choose. I currently have a free trial to https://www.gohunt.com/ which has a wealth of knowledge and statistics on western hunting states.

-Everything I have read mentions being in shape at least once, so that is on the list to do.

-I am going through the debate of flying or driving from MD. Both options have there ups and downs and I am open to recommendations as to which you would do and why.

-I have asked a few of my friends that hunt as well and they all seem interested. That being said, once it comes down to buying a $$$ tag as a non resident, plane ticket, or what have you interest starts to wane. I will have to figure out who is serious and who is not. No way I want to get all this planning done to find out I will be out there alone.

So, there is still plenty to figure out, plan and prepare for. I have read through a bit of the thread on the 2018 elk hunt for info as well as other resources.

Where to hunt? If I narrow down the option to a specific unit, say Idaho GMU 22, which is mostly comprised of National Forest and public land. How do I narrow down a more specific starting point? Who should I talk to?

Hunting with buddies? Most of the hunting I have done has been solo or with others but spread out. If you are hunting with others, would you expect everyone to have a tag, or decide if you will have one shooter and the other as a supporter? With success rates of elk hunters in the single digits to low twenties, it is hard to imagine that more than one person would be successful. If that is the case, how do you decide with who gets to take the shot? I am more than happy to share the meat and not in it as much for the trophy, though I would be lying is I said I didn't want one.

Gear? This will be just as expensive as the trip itself I imagine if not more. Good news is, it can be used a bunch although I can't see myself elk hunting more than once a year or every other year (so I can stay happily married:o).

How many days? I will have make a decision on this but I am thinking getting there for or just before the season open, scout/glass a day or two and 3 to 4 days to hunt. It would have to be backpacking and camping for the whole time most likely given the access to the area I am considering. Recommendations.

There is a bunch more on my mind, but I will leave it at that for now. Most likely many have not made it this far following my ramblings.
    :lol:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Get in shape. If you're gonna go humping around for elk, your physical condition will have the biggest effect on success.
    There are a few members out west that should check in soon.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Make the trip alone.

Learned a long time ago that most hunters aren't serious hunters.

A lot of folks fidget, stretch, eat, drink, smoke, scratch their sack, swat at bugs, talk, joke, laugh, get bored, use smart phones, stomp their feet, break twigs, and do all manner of other crap that isn't conducive to a successful hunt.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned out. Enjoy it. Alone.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    +1 to both of the above comments.

Also - While Idaho sounds nice, pretty, my research indicates that the elk population there has been hard by predators compared to Colorado. CO is also a lot shorter drive from the East Coast. I know you have said you plan to fly, but as you research, I think you'll find that most hunters, even those from the East Coast, drive. Especially true if planning a DIY hunt, and you're hauling gear out and hopefully, meat back.

I say go by yourself. Maybe, as you go down the planning path, one of your buddies starts to get gung ho about what you are doing and then you change to add him, but I wouldn't plan on it, because if his plans change, so do yours.

Hunting alone adds to the complexity of getting meat out, which as far as I can tell, will be the biggest challenge. So I think going alone means going later, when the weather has broken and you're not trying to hump meat out in a hurry in 80 degree heat.

I've looked at this quite a bit also, and as far as I can tell, Co is the best place to 'start' and learn, and work out the logistics. Lots of OTC, lots of ground, lots of good online info on units and success rates.

Lots of good info on exactly what you want to know on Rokslide and Wapiti Talk.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    Any suggestions on a particular unit in CO? I've read that CO has more elk but also more hunters to go with them.

I'm a bit wary about heading out in the backcountry alone for a week especially if I have to haul meat back.

Driving is a definite possibility.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Buy the book the modern elk hunter by Todd Wilson. It's kind of a dry read but will give you more info than you ever wanted about a diy elk hunt. A fraternity brother of mine wrote it after moving to Colorado after graduation. He's an elk nut of the highest order.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you have a friend who is a serious hunter, get them in on it. Otherwise, plan solo. Also if doing more than you, make sure what the tags allows for. Some states allow anyone in the hunting party to be the shooter. Some allow only the person who purchased the tag to use it. Also if it is “any shooter”, you better make sure you are in close enough company that if someone shoots an elk, everyone else knows damn well and doesn’t pull the trigger also.

I am fortunate enough my neighbor is a pretty serious hunter. I am as well. That said, I’ll admit I get bored after a few hours and switch to still hunting. Then again, I’ve had about as much success still hunting as stand/sitting. Elk hunting also being somewhat different than deer hunting as Elk can be much more vocal animals.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If you have a friend who is a serious hunter, get them in on it. Otherwise, plan solo. Also if doing more than you, make sure what the tags allows for. Some states allow anyone in the hunting party to be the shooter. Some allow only the person who purchased the tag to use it. Also if it is “any shooter”, you better make sure you are in close enough company that if someone shoots an elk, everyone else knows damn well and doesn’t pull the trigger also.

I am fortunate enough my neighbor is a pretty serious hunter. I am as well. That said, I’ll admit I get bored after a few hours and switch to still hunting. Then again, I’ve had about as much success still hunting as stand/sitting. Elk hunting also being somewhat different than deer hunting as Elk can be much more vocal animals.
    ...at least they’re easy to drag out.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Takes us 2 days from MD to ID. That’s 2 guys alternating driving. After a few trips to ID and WY, we have gotten the hang of what to take and where to go when we get there. Couple of key points from a novice:

The elevation will cause more of an issue then the weight of a pack. I wish I had done more cardio/breathing exercises.

In ID we planned on having highs in the 60s, wound up getting to 80 and we didn’t really pack lightweight clothing. Alternatively, WY we expected lows in the 30s, we got 12 inches and in the teens.

Practice judging and shooting at distance, it can be deceiving out west.

Follow good bear management with your food and kill site.

As far as where to start when you find your unit, I start on where I will park and if I will be based camping or out in the woods. Our more successful hunts we stayed in a USFS campground (the only ones there) and had the luxury of all our stuff every night.

We are going to ID again this October chasing deer and elk. We know fully well that we may not score, but it is worth it.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    As far as where to start when you find your unit, I start on where I will park and if I will be based camping or out in the woods. Our more successful hunts we stayed in a USFS campground (the only ones there) and had the luxury of all our stuff every night.

We are going to ID again this October chasing deer and elk. We know fully well that we may not score, but it is worth it.

Great info Crabby. If you don't mind sharing, what unit in ID will you and have hunted?

October means rifle hunting? I was thinking I would go earlier as I think most rifle OTC tags are bull elks. I feel like an any elk tag would offer more opportunities even though you have to hey closer for archery. Guess that balance could go either way.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    A friend here went to Wyoming with his gun sighted in here, and couldn't hit anything.
    He said the elevation made a big difference in the POI. Not sure how to deal with that unless you sight -in at elevation.
    He's an excellent shot, BTW. Got an Antelope.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    few tips, look for water holes/wallows. I have lots of elk in my area during hunting season but I also have lots of hunters. The problem I have is hunters running around like idiots pushing the elk. Especially during rifle. Its best if you can get out during bow season. They arent like hunting white tail. The only similarity is they come to water holes at dusk. They may be patternable but around here they dont have a pattern. other than they come into this area during mating season. They can run 1 mile at 35-40mph on flat ground...so depending how bad you scare them off they can be a long ways away. Ive been burned so many times by other hunters its ridiculous--they ride in on their atv's and expect to see an elk, they bugle off their atv and expect to see/hear something....

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    You should watch the Born and Raised Outdoors Youtube series. They hunted all those states last year 50 days straight I think, mainly to promote OTC tags and public land. Epic watch.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    You should check out Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. The Maryland Chapter has their annual banquet on Saturday August 25th at Martin's Eastwind from 10:30am to 4:30pm. It is a great conservation group that helps conserve habitat for Elk in the west as well as reintroducing them back on the east coast.

PM me if you want more info.

MoJoy99

Apr 28, 2018
    Fort Washington
    few tips, look for water holes/wallows. I have lots of elk in my area during hunting season but I also have lots of hunters. The problem I have is hunters running around like idiots pushing the elk. Especially during rifle. Its best if you can get out during bow season. They arent like hunting white tail. The only similarity is they come to water holes at dusk. They may be patternable but around here they dont have a pattern. other than they come into this area during mating season. They can run 1 mile at 35-40mph on flat ground...so depending how bad you scare them off they can be a long ways away. Ive been burned so many times by other hunters its ridiculous--they ride in on their atv's and expect to see an elk, they bugle off their atv and expect to see/hear something....

Thanks for the info Wilcam!!! I am getting my archery hunting safety course done this September. It is not required for MD. Which unit do you hunt? I was considering 22 but do not have an overly compelling reason other than decent success percentages last few years. I have read wolves are a problem in this unit.

On another note, thanks for your service. I did 14 years in the Navy and my wife did a few years in the air force.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Great info Crabby. If you don't mind sharing, what unit in ID will you and have hunted?

October means rifle hunting? I was thinking I would go earlier as I think most rifle OTC tags are bull elks. I feel like an any elk tag would offer more opportunities even though you have to hey closer for archery. Guess that balance could go either way.

We went to Palisades. There aren’t many tags left for ID. Plus, as of July 31, all the left over quota tags over are open to all to obtain 2nd tags. They should go quick? At least that is what I have found. Tex Creek and Palisades are two of the units that do not have a quota for the general tags.

We plan on hiking in as far as we can and glass. Make a move from there. Worked before, should work again.

Good advice as well from the guys below

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for the info Wilcam!!! I am getting my archery hunting safety course done this September. It is not required for MD. Which unit do you hunt? I was considering 22 but do not have an overly compelling reason other than decent success percentages last few years. I have read wolves are a problem in this unit.

On another note, thanks for your service. I did 14 years in the Navy and my wife did a few years in the air force.

I hunt up north in the Panhandle (area 5). I think this year I will be ready to kill something. So long as I can avoid the idiots. The yellow jackets are bad this year so be prepared if you get something down in the morning.

Also thanks for y'all's service as well ;)

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The yellow jackets are bad this year so be prepared if you get something down in the morning.
    So what are you saying, the bees come in and eat your meat while you are packing it out??

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So what are you saying, the bees come in and eat your meat while you are packing it out??

its like nothing you can imagine...within minutes they swarm the kill...Im hoping for a late evening kill that way I can quarter the animal and get out of there. I'll have plenty of time during evening but if its a morning kill its going to be bad. Ive heard you can use black pepper and it helps keep them away a little but still a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom