• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ok, I've put together a "wishlist" on the Del-ton site. I realized that I was missing a ton of parts. I think I have everything added to the list except for the BCG because they're out of stock.

I'm not entirely clear, does this barrel include the gas block? https://www.del-ton.com/DTI-Del-Ton-Inc-AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Pre-Ban-Ba-p/bl1058a.htm

All the gas blocks I'm seeing, say that they replace the front sight on the rifle. I want to keep the front sight that comes with this barrel.

That's an A2 front sight, which has a gas block built in to the base of it. No extra gas block needed.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Ok, I've put together a "wishlist" on the Del-ton site. I realized that I was missing a ton of parts. I think I have everything added to the list except for the BCG because they're out of stock.

I'm not entirely clear, does this barrel include the gas block? https://www.del-ton.com/DTI-Del-Ton-Inc-AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Pre-Ban-Ba-p/bl1058a.htm

All the gas blocks I'm seeing, say that they replace the front sight on the rifle. I want to keep the front sight that comes with this barrel.

Not sure if you are considering it, but I would advise you spend the extra $35 for chrome lining.

Also gives you the option for a 1/7 twist, which you will want if you plan to shoot heavy for caliber bullets.

1/9 is great for the lighter stuff, though.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Not sure if you are considering it, but I would advise you spend the extra $35 for chrome lining.

Also gives you the option for a 1/7 twist, which you will want if you plan to shoot heavy for caliber bullets.

1/9 is great for the lighter stuff, though.

I'm new to the chrome lining thing. I did some reading last night. The "con" seems to be that no chrome lining isn't perfect and detracts from long range performance. The "pro" is durability and ease of cleaning.

Thoughts?

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I'm new to the chrome lining thing. I did some reading last night. The "con" seems to be that no chrome lining isn't perfect and detracts from long range performance. The "pro" is durability and ease of cleaning.

Thoughts?

How often do you plan to shoot past 400 yards? Durability is the critical factor with chrome lining. Your barrel will be much longer lived and it will help with erosion around the gas port.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Thoughts?

Chrome lining is also in the chamber which makes feedng and extraction more reliable.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Thoughts?

Yeah I have heard that chrome lining and 1 in 7 twist are not optimal for accuracy. Yet, I have a BCM 20" A4 style upper on a pre-ban that is a tack driver, so go figure.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

DEL-TON does not get enough "love" around here. They are not Daniel Defense or Colt or LaRue, but I don't think I have ever seen any negative comments about DEL-TON on this forum.

Sometimes no news is good news.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    DEL-TON does not get enough "love" around here. They are not Daniel Defense or Colt or LaRue, but I don't think I have ever seen any negative comments about DEL-TON on this forum.

They make good stuff.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    When building an AR rifle, is it wise to file the receipt for the barrel as proof that it is an HBAR, in case I'm in a situation where law enforcement asks about it? Or is an HBAR easily identifiable on its own?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Sometimes no news is good news.

I had a Del-Ton a few years ago that did not gauge very well. The barrel swallowed both the muzzle and throat erosion gauges.

A more recent one was nice and tight. So maybe it's luck, or maybe they got their act together. Can't make big conclusions from a sample of two.

Now I'd build an upper myself, and use a barrel from say Centurion, Criterion, Rainier, Rosco or X-Caliber. I've handled all of these recently and they were good. Again, small sample sizes, though. With the cost of ammo so high, I'm sticking with better brands.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    We stock a complete del-ton build kit that’s got everything but a stripped lower. It’s inexpensive but is 5.56 and mid length. It’s on our website under in stock firearms if you want to take a look. It’s near the bottom of the page.

https://www.rsshootingsports.com/In-Stock-Firearms

Of course I would read this literally minutes after ordering a pile of parts from Del-Ton.

Well, I have two lowers and I was planning on two builds so I'll bookmark your web page. Thanks.

RSshootingsports

Industry Partner
    Mar 13, 2011
    Centreville MD
    Thanks for checking us out. We try to keep several build kits in stock as well as all the individual pieces to put an AR together. Let us know if you need help sourcing any other parts.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Del-Ton has been out of stock of AR bolt carrier groups for some time now. I will not be able to complete my build using parts sourced solely from Del-Ton.
    I want this rifle to be durable and safe. Who is a good vendor for BCG's that actually has stuff in stock?

Sons of Liberty Gun Works has them but I'm unfamiliar with them. Recommendations welcome.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Del-Ton has been out of stock of AR bolt carrier groups for some time now. I will not be able to complete my build using parts sourced solely from Del-Ton.
    I want this rifle to be durable and safe. Who is a good vendor for BCG's that actually has stuff in stock?

Sons of Liberty Gun Works has them but I'm unfamiliar with them. Recommendations welcome.

SOLGW gets their BCG's from Microbest. Tolerances are usually quite good.
    An excellent choice if you can find them in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom