• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That why I have some of the IMIs. 2 extra grains for a fraction higher BC and it is loaded HOT. Almost 2800FPS out of a 20” barreled AR compared to a little over 2700FPS out of the same for the PPU 75gr.

Not much of a difference inside 500yds, but once you get out there...

That said my chances to shoot past 300yds so far has proven to be about a once a year thing for me. So unless or until I move somewhere closer to a long distance range...

Not terribly worried about the real long distance cartridges/capabilities.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Someone over on snipershide said they were shooting the Valkyrie and was only getting 2600 fps with the 90 grain smk. I guess you need a 24 inch barrel to get the 2700 fps as advertised. I ran the numbers and I get better ballistics with my 223 wylde pushing a 75 grain Jordan’s bthp at 2776 fps. I only have a 20 inch barrel. It will be interesting to see what velocities people get with this round.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Damn. I friggin just built a .22 Nosler in one of Chad’s latest build classes. Oh well. Have not shot it yet.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The round is very similar to what some friends in the highpower community tried many years ago. Ultimately, the 6mm HAGAR was developed as a no compromise 600yd performer for the AR15. The HAGAR has proved it's self in competition. If only Hornady would produce loaded ammo and not just the excellent quality brass...! After looking at the case of the Valkrie, I believe that it could use a bit less body taper to reduce bolt thrust. I see the Valkrie as being a specialty cartridge that could possibly have huge wildcat potential. If it were necked up to 6.5mm, it would be very similar to a design I came up with back in 2003, though the Valkrie has slightly less powder capacity. Standard 6.8spc mags work just fine with the HAGAR and the round will work in a bolt action model 700 with the .420" bolt face for the 6.8 spc. The internal mag box of the 700 only needs a slight tweak for flawless feeding. The Valkrie case should work as well.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    The round is very similar to what some friends in the highpower community tried many years ago. Ultimately, the 6mm HAGAR was developed as a no compromise 600yd performer for the AR15.

I’ve had no problem ringing steel at 750 yds with my 223 wylde AR using 75 grain hornady bthp reloads. Strelok says I start to go transonic at about 850 yds. Given real world velocities so far experienced, the 223 Valkyrie would give me an extra 100 yds of supersonic flight but needs a new bolt, magazines, and has reduced capacity. I guess time will tell.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I’ve had no problem ringing steel at 750 yds with my 223 wylde AR using 75 grain hornady bthp reloads. Strelok says I start to go transonic at about 850 yds. Given real world velocities so far experienced, the 223 Valkyrie would give me an extra 100 yds of supersonic flight but needs a new bolt, magazines, and has reduced capacity. I guess time will tell.

With proper loads and a bolt action, the .223 has been used successfully in PALMA competition. That is 800, 900 and 1,000yds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    With proper loads and a bolt action, the .223 has been used successfully in PALMA competition. That is 800, 900 and 1,000yds.

True, but you are also usually talking about 24" barrels there.

I think that is the thing with .224V. Its got a tiny bit more energy and can shoot super heavy bullets for caliber. Buttttt, I think most of that energy gain is going to be with long barrels. I doubt you'll see much at all on short barrels (I am sure SOMETHING, it is more powder).

It is going to take the super long barrels and really heavy loads to get out to 1400yds like they claim. you aren't shooting 75gr TMJ and a 16" .224v to 1000yds, let alone 1400.

The things seem to make sense if you are already going to be building a "varmiter" long barrel precision AR-15 for long distance work. The difference on costs between a 24" AR-15 .223 setup for long range work and a .224v probably isn't going to be more than $100-200 in a year or two once more manufacturers are building the parts. Ammo costs will still be a fair amount more, but probably less than .308, especially reloading, which a lot of long range guys do.

6.5 Grendel is not far off in that respect. Except IMHO, Grendel is a much better hunting round (short of extreme range, it delivers more energy and has a much wider wound channel) and at least right now has cheap steel cased ammo. Also a wider choice of bullets. Lastly, Federal is making GMM with 130g berger bullets for 6.5G right now.

Ballistic coefficient of .56, 2400FPS muzzle velocity, which is 1660ft-lbs of energy compared to the best .224v load of 1480ft-lbs and the best/hottest .223/5.56 that hits 1400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom