• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Either I'm building it or ADCO is.

I can't decide which barrel for a 0-700y build RECCE style.

I want a 16" and I want to keep it fairly light. 1:8. Must be able to achieve 1.5-2 MOA or less at max.

I really like the pencil barrels from Faxon but I'm not sure about accuracy and POI shift since I will be hanging a can from it. I don't want to get a heavy barrel though.

I was thinking about just getting a complete upper from Aero but I'm iffy on the BA barrels.

Not sure if I should go stainless barrel. I like the extra accuracy but I DO plan on blasting some junk ammo and getting it hot sometimes.

Debating on Wylde vs 5.56 chamber. I just don't want any reliability issues with the Wylde if I shoot junk ammo and get it hot/dirty.

Lastly, should I get an adjustable gas block? I figure it would be nice to cut down blowback from suppressed. Main concern with this is reliability.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Faxon are plenty accurate. As far as hanging a can and POI shift, I think that's more of a function of the can and baffles. On my Faxon barrel, one can results in a shift the other doesnt

I have not really heard of reliability issues with 223 Wylde. I shoot wolf and Tula through mine with no problem. If people report a problem, seems to me it's more likely a gas issue.

If you are getting a can, adjustable gas all the way.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Man - such a wide range of specs. If you wanted 700 yards and get it hot, that leans heavier and longer (to pickup the fps and the weight help on heat - especially suppressed). For me, I have different uppers for different jobs (pencil, chrome lined vs Krieger stainless) but you're looking for all the in one... You'll probably be able to get close - but as I tend to shoot suppressed what I found is lighter barrels and even my BSF carbon fiber (that I returned) - the groups would open after a lower round count especially suppressed. Heat is not your friend. For me it's about quality (aka accuracy) versus quantity. For my one AR10, I started building as light as I could but then disliked the accuracy. After I got over my weight reservations and went heavy - she came together nicely.

The easy one here - adjustable gas block.. In this day and age, there's practically no reason why not... You'll find haters - but not me...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Man - such a wide range of specs. If you wanted 700 yards and get it hot, that leans heavier and longer (to pickup the fps and the weight help on heat - especially suppressed). For me, I have different uppers for different jobs (pencil, chrome lined vs Krieger stainless) but you're looking for all the in one... You'll probably be able to get close - but as I tend to shoot suppressed what I found is lighter barrels and even my BSF carbon fiber (that I returned) - the groups would open after a lower round count especially suppressed. Heat is not your friend. For me it's about quality (aka accuracy) versus quantity. For my one AR10, I started building as light as I could but then disliked the accuracy. After I got over my weight reservations and went heavy - she came together nicely.

The easy one here - adjustable gas block.. In this day and age, there's practically no reason why not... You'll find haters - but not me...

I definitely don't want to do a heavy barrel for this one.

I wonder if fluted might help in this situation?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Hanson profile from Ballistic Advantage are a nice compromise if you are looking for stiffer than pencil but lighter than many other options.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I definitely don't want to do a heavy barrel for this one.

I wonder if fluted might help in this situation?

So it's simple physics - the lighter (contour) of the barrel, the more heat (especially suppressed) will impact. Fluting was invented as a trade off - a heavier contour but reduced weight (vs not). Then along came alone carbon fiber and others to address but I'm not a believer after owning one.

All and all - if you want light, go for it but just understand that some of your other requirements may suffer. Those damn trade offs.

We all caught BRD because there's tons of options and possibilities and what you do today can be changed tomorrow.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hanson profile from Ballistic Advantage are a nice compromise if you are looking for stiffer than pencil but lighter than many other options.

Good find. It's fairly light.

I just have a heavy barrel 18" that I really don't care for. It's heavy enough that I would rather just take my bolt action in a better caliber.

Not sure if I should go with stainless. I will be doing some long range shooting with match ammo, but I'll be blasting some Wolf too. From What I hear stainless barrel life is still pretty good.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Maybe consider a fluted heavyier barrel? Less weight, more cooling. Faxon makes very good, very accurate barrels, especially their 5r match barrels BUT those are not chrome lined. I dunno how hot you are planning to get the barrel, but I do know chrome lining resists heat cycling better (at the cost of accuracy).

Faxon also has a Gunner profile which is USGI to the gas block then pencil.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Man - such a wide range of specs. If you wanted 700 yards and get it hot, that leans heavier and longer (to pickup the fps and the weight help on heat - especially suppressed).

I concur. With 556, you'll probably need seventy something grain bullets to reach 700 yards, and out of a 16" barrel? You'll have serious holdover/scope adjustment, and if you're only hoping for a 1.5 - 2 MOA gun, that's what, 10-14" spread at that distance, no wind. On top of that, the long heavy 556 don't fit in mags, so it'll essentially be single shot for that.

The solution for that distance? AR10... Otherwise I think you've got too much going on.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Have you thought about the 6.5 Grendel? I think that may be a better choice of caliber for distance you are looking at.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I don't really think that your build requirements will yield the performance requirements you are looking for. I would think to do what you want, you would need an 18" (minimum) barrel of at least medium contour (seriously, heavy would be much better), and yes, 1/8 twist, Wylde chamber. Adjustable gas block for the can. My buddy, a long range shooter, seems to swear by JP Enterprises barrels, I would think White Oak, but I bet there are several barrel outfits that could help you. I'm just an old "cross the course" shooter, and have shot a little long range at Perry, a loooong time ago.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    For what you're trying to do, I'd suggest you get a fluted 18" SPR profile barrel, and buy the rest of the parts with an eye toward light weight. The heaviest parts of this system are barrel, carrier, and buffer. Since you are getting an adjustable gas block, you can get a lightweight BCG and empty the buffer. That should offset the weight of the barrel. Just realize, you'll be replacing the bolt carrier sooner rather than later versus an M-16 BCG.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I concur. With 556, you'll probably need seventy something grain bullets to reach 700 yards, and out of a 16" barrel? You'll have serious holdover/scope adjustment, and if you're only hoping for a 1.5 - 2 MOA gun, that's what, 10-14" spread at that distance, no wind. On top of that, the long heavy 556 don't fit in mags, so it'll essentially be single shot for that.

The solution for that distance? AR10... Otherwise I think you've got too much going on.

77gr has done me well.

Have you thought about the 6.5 Grendel? I think that may be a better choice of caliber for distance you are looking at.

Nah, I have better long range options with my bolt action if I really want to do so. Not looking to take on a other caliber.

For what you're trying to do, I'd suggest you get a fluted 18" SPR profile barrel, and buy the rest of the parts with an eye toward light weight. The heaviest parts of this system are barrel, carrier, and buffer. Since you are getting an adjustable gas block, you can get a lightweight BCG and empty the buffer. That should offset the weight of the barrel. Just realize, you'll be replacing the bolt carrier sooner rather than later versus an M-16 BCG.

I already have an SPR. I don't like it much. It's long and heavy enough that I would rather just take my bolt action that's in a real long range caliber.

This isn't meant to be my only rifle capable at long range. Minute of silhouette at 600y is fine.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Good find. It's fairly light.

I just have a heavy barrel 18" that I really don't care for. It's heavy enough that I would rather just take my bolt action in a better caliber.

Not sure if I should go with stainless. I will be doing some long range shooting with match ammo, but I'll be blasting some Wolf too. From What I hear stainless barrel life is still pretty good.

I have a couple of them in 14.5” with pinned muzzle device. I never go out much past 300 so I can’t speak directly to your intended wants, but they crank center mass size plates with an EOtech and 3x magnifier all day at that distance.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a couple of them in 14.5” with pinned muzzle device. I never go out much past 300 so I can’t speak directly to your intended wants, but they crank center mass size plates with an EOtech and 3x magnifier all day at that distance.

FWIW I've made hits with the same setup as yours in a pencil barrel at 600. A less than accurate NCM barrel too. So I'm figuring a decent 16" barrel should tighten things up.

I should have added to this thread that this won't be my first or only long range rig. I have much better options in a heavier caliber. This is just to extend the ranges of a primary AR, one that isn't huge and heavy. One that isn't solely dedicated to long range, but can dial up and make hits if needed.

primarily interested in what kind of barrel (stainless barrel life, etc). Wylde reliability, and profile effects with a suppressor.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Faxon 16" heavy fluted barrel I have is sub moa with match ammo. I average a little over 1 MOA even with bulk American Eagle. Its also light enough to run around and do 3 gun. I had a 18" heavy barrel which was about as accurate and useful as a billy club. Some of the accuracy I also attribute to a decent trigger. I am sure that there are other good options as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom