• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Starting backwards with the right now current situation ;

NH by itself has decent coverage in the Eastern US , mostly east of the Mississippi River . But the big thing is they are Quick ! , with no time consuming requirements . You could print out the form right now, fill it out , send it out in the morning by Express Mail flat rate Envelope , and have better than even odds of having Permit in hand within single digit Days, two weeks at outside, including return Mail .

Some of here make a hobby of collecting a fist full of cards , but for someone without any to get quickly up to speed, NH is their Huckleberry . For example when Mrs Biggfoot & Biggfootette anounced that surprise, in less than 3 weeks we're going to Alabama to vist ( long time friend ) . Since you're not able to go , we want our own Permits . ( They're both lifelong shooters , both recently had Utah/ Fla class from well known IP., and Mrs Biggfoot is LFI Grad .But when their FLA plans fell through , didn't imeadately follow through spending their own $ to get Fla . )

Back in the day, ie 1980s , NH was one of the few Shall Issue Non Resident Permits , and I was actually going to be spending time In NH . ( This was before the era of widespread Reciprocity .) Kept renewing as long as I had my Md W&C .

In my middle years , they flip flopping on requiring home state Permit , so I was in & out .

Then in current era, they were the primary Non Res accepted by Pa , the same time their State Supreme Court ruled that state Constitution required Permits for all non residents unless prohibited, or denied for specific cause .

Even after Pa went away, I keep it up for my redundant backup Permit with staggered expiration . I mean to eventually get DC, and probably Fla , but they are lingering on back burner .

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Starting backwards with the right now current situation ;

NH by itself has decent coverage in the Eastern US , mostly east of the Mississippi River . But the big thing is they are Quick ! , with no time consuming requirements . You could print out the form right now, fill it out , send it out in the morning by Express Mail flat rate Envelope , and have better than even odds of having Permit in hand within single digit Days, two weeks at outside, including return Mail .

Some of here make a hobby of collecting a fist full of cards , but for someone without any to get quickly up to speed, NH is their Huckleberry . For example when Mrs Biggfoot & Biggfootette anounced that surprise, in less than 3 weeks we're going to Alabama to vist ( long time friend ) . Since you're not able to go , we want our own Permits . ( They're both lifelong shooters , both recently had Utah/ Fla class from well known IP., and Mrs Biggfoot is LFI Grad .But when their FLA plans fell through , didn't imeadately follow through spending their own $ to get Fla . )

Back in the day, ie 1980s , NH was one of the few Shall Issue Non Resident Permits , and I was actually going to be spending time In NH . ( This was before the era of widespread Reciprocity .) Kept renewing as long as I had my Md W&C .

In my middle years , they flip flopping on requiring home state Permit , so I was in & out .

Then in current era, they were the primary Non Res accepted by Pa , the same time their State Supreme Court ruled that state Constitution required Permits for all non residents unless prohibited, or denied for specific cause .

Even after Pa went away, I keep it up for my redundant backup Permit with staggered expiration . I mean to eventually get DC, and probably Fla , but they are lingering on back burner .

Am I reading correctly that there are no prints required for NH and it's just the $100 fee and the form?

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Does VA send you a letter saying it is renewal time like I got from UT or do I have to keep track of the expiry date? Thanks all.

Cal68

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Does VA send you a letter saying it is renewal time like I got from UT or do I have to keep track of the expiry date? Thanks all.

Cal68

They do not. You are responsible for knowing when it expires and sending in the renewal on time. My first CCW from VA expired when I found out. I called and the nice lady said to send in the paperwork and mark it as a renewal. I am glad this came up. Made me look at it. Mine expires 10/2020.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I get it. My strategy, perhaps flawed, is that I carry almost exclusively in either Virginia or West Virginia and that in the event of a LE interaction, it may be the difference between a 2 minute interaction and a 2 hour interaction while they figure out if another state is reciprocal.

Again, perhaps flawed, but it works for me.
    You can also OC in VA without a permit in case you have a lapse.

Not uncommon in that neck of the woods either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

It's pretty rare in town where our place is, though I have seen people.

We were in Rhapahannock County last weekend at the gas station and a big fella came out of the store munching a ham biscuit with his Glock on his hip.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Cal68

Nope. Mine expired and I did not realize.

Renewal took about a month. This was last winter.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've had to remind myself to renew both times it came up. I don't believe that they reach out to their permit holders proactively.

No I don’t believe I received notification.

They do not. You are responsible for knowing when it expires and sending in the renewal on time. My first CCW from VA expired when I found out. I called and the nice lady said to send in the paperwork and mark it as a renewal. I am glad this came up. Made me look at it. Mine expires 10/2020.

Thanks All, I need to take a look at mine and make sure I renew it before it expires.

Cal68

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hence why it is wise to have at least one redundant non res permit, with staggered expiration .

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Well, what do you know, it showed up today. Four months to the day since I received the receipt.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

And VA now accepts any other state’s permit...

Still planning on eventually renewing my VA permit to ease a LEO encounter and GFZA, but submitting new rolled prints and a photo is a PITA.

AZ or UT are much better options. And unless you carry in Washington State, AZ hands down is your best bang for the buck.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    got my receipt for my check today. about right time wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981