• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Well, 86,126 to be exact. This is a one owner Gen2 bought new in October of 1988 that has been used in competition for most of it's life. While it was mostly retired around 80,000 rounds, it s still used in matches now and then. Just for fun, I field stripped it and took some pictures comparing it to a Gen4 with 750 rounds down the pipe. It's interesting to see just how well the finish and mechanicals have held up over the years.
    P1170893Modified_zpsrizteu7l.png

The Gen2 is up top. Notice how smooth the frame is in the area surrounding the trigger pin running from the rear of the take down divot to just in front of the slide release. That's so smooth from a thumb rubbing against it over the course of almost 31 years.

Here's the other side:
    P1170895Modified_zpsxekcrxgr.png

Again, the Gen2 is at the top. The sights have been replaced but it's stock otherwise. This pistol has many times outshot custom built race guns costing thousands of dollars. To paraphrase the owner (who has won many a match with this old Glock), "It doesn't matter how much your pistol costs bud or how fancy it is if you don't practice with it."

Here, the slides have been removed to show the rails:
    P1170826Modified_zpsvdxs3zhg.png

For the first 50,000 rounds, it was almost never lubricated and cleaned even less.

A few exterior shots of the slides. In all three the Gen2 is at the top of the frame:
    P1170887Modified_zpspxyuvewl.png

P1170886_zpsdhdryg0i.jpg

P1170892_zpsyyedaneb.jpg

Note the general lack of finish wear. That's one tough coating!

Front with the workhorse on the left:
    P1170891_zpsqgzrr7ut.jpg

A view inside. Which is which should be obvious:
    P1170879_zpsemtgzvbo.jpg

And the rear with the 2 on the right:
    P1170880_zpstgqltner.jpg

The firing pin broke at around 48,000 and Glock replaced it for free. In fact, Glock has never charged a penny for any service and one time it was shipped out on a Monday and was back home by Friday. That, my friends, is Customer Service! While we're on the subject, the trigger spring broke around 26,000 rounds. There have never been any other breakages. At 50,000 rounds, the pistol was returned to Glock to have all springs replaced as preventative maintenance. The recoil spring has been switched out every 3-6000 rounds since new.

The breech face on the 2:
    P1170888_zpsdr5bqkit.jpg

And on the 4:
    P1170889_zpsjhnb6p6d.jpg

I'll be back with more in a bit.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The frame rails on the 2 have developed little dimples over the years but it wore to a point and stopped:
    P1170882_zpsq9x2vedt.jpg

It has never affected reliability though. In 86,126 rounds there have been exactly 5 stoppages and 3 of those were from the same box of reloaded ammo. For practice, this pistol has always been fed a steady diet of the lowest cost ammo available at the time of purchase, whether it be steel or brass cased, factory new or reloaded. Glock is clearly the AK of pistols. There may be equals but there are none better. I say that and I don't even own one although I'm told this one will be given to me at some point for preservation.

The same area on the 4:
    P1170883_zpsp2rdqak8.jpg

I assume it will have little divots some day too.

Moving on to the frame, here are a couple general shots of the Gen2:
    P1170831_zpslja102hl.jpg

P1170828_zps9qwuk82q.jpg

Again, notice the area on the left side view around the trigger pin worn smooth from use.

And the Gen4:
    P1170834_zpsk7sezo1g.jpg

P1170838_zpsnxgyif7w.jpg

The slide releases with the 2 on the left showing the finish almost completely gone:
    P1170851_zpsgi6mbxbb.jpg

Here is a closeup of the Gen4 takedown latch:
    P1170850_zpsblrhq64c.jpg

Compare that with the latch on the Gen2:
    P1170849_zpsrmpygne0.jpg

It used to be as prominent as the other one but it's been worn down to the point of being hard to grasp. My God, I absolutely LOVE to see stuff like this!!!

Top view of the 2 frame:
    P1170840_zps1p8ie70g.jpg

And the 4:
    P1170841_zpsnl4d08je.jpg

More to follow.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    A closeup of the front right frame rail on the Gen2 (left) and the front left rail on the Gen4 (right):
    P1170847_zpskkzvcqxb.jpg

There is no point in showing the other rails as all look the same. By now it should be clear that money spent on an Austrian made Gen2 is money very well spent. I can't speak for newer versions but a Gen2 is clearly a TANK.

Front and rear views of the barely used Gen4 frame locking block:
    P1170845_zpsa3xmrssh.jpg

P1170844_zpskiezaae8.jpg

Compared to the same views of the Gen2:
    P1170843_zpsfgzo3o1g.jpg

P1170842_zpsd4iqtu9y.jpg

Next up is the recoil springs. The Gen4 is on the right:
    P1170877_zpsz09u7qwv.jpg

Originally, the Gen 2 had a non-captive recoil spring. As previously mentioned, it was changed out every 3-6000 rounds and different weight springs were used depending on the match. Once it was semi-retired, a more modern captive assembly (shown) was installed simply for convenience sake.

One more post to go. In that one, we'll look at the barrel but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. See you then!

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    WOW, I bought a used 17 gen 2 in 2009 from an I P, don't know the details of the previous owner(s), but I think I'll keep it !
    Thanks for sharing the report.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Very impressive record-- thanks for sharing. Make me want to hit the range with the Gen 5 today...just because!

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    My Glock 19 Gen 2 was a workhorse (purchased in 1988 also)...I lost count of rounds at around 38K, sold in 2008. The only thing I experienced first hand was the "kaboom" around 1991 using cheap Remington ammo. I sent the weapon back to Glock and they performed the upgrade and never had a problem after that.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is a fantastic takedown and comparison. Thank you very much.

I’m guessing 86,000 rounds was about $8-$12k worth of ammo depending on how much was reloaded.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wow, that thing looks good. My gen 5 has more wear on the slide than it seems to have. Odd that I have a small dimple on the starboard side on a gen 3.
    Thanks for posting OP.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I wonder if the Gen 4 will last as well as the Gen 2 has in its live time.

The owner of one of the largest shooting (rental) ranges in the US (Battlefield Las Vegas?) posts on AR15.com. His glocks were having serious problems with cracking slides at relatively low round counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom