• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a family .... so .... all of them. Bugging out isn't something that's actually practical for like 99% of people, unless it's because a disaster of some kind(flood, fire, volcano, hurricane, invading army...etc) will kill you if you stay home. Why would you leave essentially all your assets and shelter otherwise?
    Zombies. :omg:

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    This is an age old question and it would have been interesting if the OP used the voting function.

Me: Primary - my 12" AR pistol; Secondary - My G19

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    The calibers that will be most available during a SHTF event are:

9mm Luger
    .45 ACP
    5.56/.223

Coincidentally, that list and .22 equals the same, most sought after list during a panic buy.

...oh how I dread when those days will return.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The calibers that will be most available during a SHTF event are:

9mm Luger
    .45 ACP
    5.56/.223

And where would you find the available ammo? Walmart was pretty much cleaned out after one day of looting in Katrina.

Gun stores would suffer the same fate.

I am going to sit at home with spam cans of surplus ammo because it is too difficult to carry and too valuable to leave.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Bugging out is full of enormous compromises and risks. Bugging in, too, of a different sort. Being inside the beltway, we'd have to fortify ... because there would be a big wave of bug-outs washing over us on their way out of Dodge. Tough call. If we had to go? Wife carries lightest AR15 we have, and I carry the short AR10. She puts her pet .380 on her hip, and I'd carry probably the 92F. I'd have the MKIV .22 with a suppressor in a pack. It would really suck to haul all that around, along with the rest of the necessities. Bad enough I'd have to leave my mom behind, but after that really bad grilled cheese sandwich fiasco back in sixth grade, I know we can't rely on her in an emergency. Kidding, Mom, kidding! You can carry that featherweight 10/22 and the iodine pills.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bugging out is full of enormous compromises and risks. Bugging in, too, of a different sort. Being inside the beltway, we'd have to fortify ... because there would be a big wave of bug-outs washing over us on their way out of Dodge. Tough call. If we had to go? Wife carries lightest AR15 we have, and I carry the short AR10. She puts her pet .380 on her hip, and I'd carry probably the 92F. I'd have the MKIV .22 with a suppressor in a pack. It would really suck to haul all that around, along with the rest of the necessities. Bad enough I'd have to leave my mom behind, but after that really bad grilled cheese sandwich fiasco back in sixth grade, I know we can't rely on her in an emergency. Kidding, Mom, kidding! You can carry that featherweight 10/22 and the iodine pills.

I'm kinda with you on most. Bug in til and if the coast clears, bug out. We'll bring in moms and pops. What the heck. Things get real sketchy, we can always eat them. Then we di di mau.

We'll pack three calibers-5.56(I can kill anything with one), 9mm for tight quarters, and .22 for small game and such. All suppressed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To me, bug out is a last resort. House is destroyed, or likely to be. No place to bug in.

Then, for firearms choice, it would depend on total circumstances. .22 is the choice for survival. Light, you can carry a lot of rounds. Big enough to take small game (and I know of cases of deer taken with a .22).

If there is likely to be more issues with personal protection, I would say AR in 5.56. Common round, and due to military, LOTS of it floating around. Small enough to carry a good amount.

Pistol, I would probably take two. One .22 RF. And the second either .45 or 9mm. I am more of a fan of .45. But the ammo situation and ability to carry a fair number of rounds favors the 9mm.

If more than one person, especially with children old enough, then you can mix among the group. Kids with .22s, that you can borrow to take small game. AR for protection and larger game. And a shotgun for protection and birds for food.

And BTW, yes, when I did my bug out bag build, I did two, one for each of us.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    The biggest problem is that Maryland isn't conducive to doing any bugging out, unless AOC shows up with eyes open...

Sure we can pack food, armor, water, and ammo(?), but pre SHTF, many of us can't even carry a pistol. Ideally, I'd have a pistol and a truck gun, but again, until the brown stuff and copper jackets start flying its simply not ideal. Obviously after who cares, but...

And personally I'd be bugging in for sure, short of the house getting destroyed. 1 month old baby kind of throws a damper on even leaving by vehicle and on foot?

But to answer the question, my 300 BLK carbine is up first; easy to handle with plenty of power, and theoretically a simple swap to 556.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Coincidentally, that list and .22 equals the same, most sought after list during a panic buy.

...oh how I dread when those days will return.

Unfortunately you just missed out on the best day to buy ammo.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If I was solo and need to travel alone then I would be looking at 10/22 for survival while staying out of sight.

If I had to protect the family during some bug our journey to some other safer location I think it would be the KelTec Sub2K 9mm. Mainly because the ammo is even more common than 5.56 and I could easily conceal the rifle if needed.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In a SHTF scenario there are two types of people: those who have a gun and those who don’t. The rest is just details.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My chest rig is set up with AR mags. I have a 10.5” SBR built on an Engage lower in 5.56mm. It’s run flawlessly. AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor. AimPoint PRO, PVS-14. HK USP9, M11/9 with Lage upper and Octane 9 suppressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom