• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Are Dead air suppressors really the most over built suppressors on the market like so many claim?

They are pretty pricey imo, and I was just curious if all the hype was deserved.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I only own one Dead Air Suppressor: a Wolverine. In my opinion the build quality is really good, their warranty is top notch, they have excellent customer service, and their joint venture/partnership/subsidiary/whatever relationship with BPI (parent company of Bergara) means that they aren't at risk of going under anytime soon. They also have an engineer/influencer who is very responsive over on arfcom.

That said, I think their prices are higher than they really should be relative to the competition. But they have very sexy marketing and said influencer. And you get taken care of.

My personal opinion is that their stuff is worth buying if you get a really good deal, but otherwise I am not any more or less happy with their product than I am with the 7 other suppressors I own (YHM Turbo, Surefire Ryder-22s, Mac Bros Vapor, Liberty Cosmic, Q Thunder Chicken, Griffin Optimus 9, and Rugged Micro). Also I think their Keymo system is pretty heavy and too expensive for what it is, and the idea of standardizing muzzle devices on one system doesn't really matter to me. I think nesting a can under a rail seems pointless to me for anything other than subsonic stuff (cans get hot!), which isn't really what I spend most of my time shooting.

Will you be happy with their products if you buy them? Absolutely. They work well, have very nice build quality, and their CS is great. Are they worth all the extra money and weight that comes from Keymo and sexy marketing? Not convinced given the quality and similar capabilities of products from a budget company like YHM (this is a complement to YHM, not a knock on Dead Air), but I'm glad they exist and have financial freedom to innovate and do their thing.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Dead Air is great, but not really any better than SiCo, Q, Rugged, Thunderbeast, YHM, etc. Building a quality suppressor is a solved problem at this point, even if not everyone does it.

I would say that Dear Air and Q are currently two of the more creative companies when it comes to product design in the NFA space lately.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Dead Air is great, but not really any better than SiCo, Q, Rugged, Thunderbeast, YHM, etc. Building a quality suppressor is a solved problem at this point, even if not everyone does it.

I would say that Dear Air and Q are currently two of the more creative companies when it comes to product design in the NFA space lately.
    I would add that Griffin Armament offers a lot of specialized suppressor products that other manufacturers don't. And their muzzle devices are good.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would add that Griffin Armament offers a lot of specialized suppressor products that other manufacturers don't. And their muzzle devices are good.
    Griffin has a really good marketing machine and has a few products for more niche use cases (the Optimus coming to mind). I don't know that I think they have cutting edge R&D; there have been a lot of allegations that they copy KAC and other people for their cans.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Been happy with the Optimus, looking into a rimfire can, comes down to the Dead air Mask VS new Griffin Resistance 22, the DA is currently available, TI can/SS bafffles, and has a great reputation, the new Griffin can has a lot of aluminum parts, shorter, lighter, works on a limited basis for .223 (up to 5rds then allowed to cool), and will work with my current taper and 3 lug adapters, but not out yet, and 1.375" vs the DA mask's 1", but no big deal on rifles or my Buckmark with tall sights.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Griffin has a really good marketing machine and has a few products for more niche use cases (the Optimus coming to mind). I don't know that I think they have cutting edge R&D; there have been a lot of allegations that they copy KAC and other people for their cans.
    Yeah there is a lot of that going around in the suppressor world. Yet their products are not just niche, but useful. Their plan A attachment system has the lightest muzzle devices and they do a much better job of recoil management than Q's brake.

I have an Optimus 9 and love it. It is the can I use the most. It sounds good on pistols and rifles. Their Optimus Micro or whatever the .22/.223 version is called is a huger seller.

They make good stuff.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Yeah there is a lot of that going around in the suppressor world. Yet their products are not just niche, but useful. Their plan A attachment system has the lightest muzzle devices and they do a much better job of recoil management than Q's brake.

I have an Optimus 9 and love it. It is the can I use the most. It sounds good on pistols and rifles. Their Optimus Micro or whatever the .22/.223 version is called is a huger seller.

They make good stuff.

yeah, im in the market for a 9mm can myself, the doubles duty on other calibers if I choose. i've been weighing options on the 9mm can that can be the most versatile, yet dependable as well.

Primary duty will be on a cz scorpion carbine, but id like it to be usable on other things too.

dead airs now wolf man can even shoot semi auto .556 with their brake on the rifle. Haven't seen that on anything else yet.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    yeah, im in the market for a 9mm can myself, the doubles duty on other calibers if I choose. i've been weighing options on the 9mm can that can be the most versatile, yet dependable as well.

Primary duty will be on a cz scorpion carbine, but id like it to be usable on other things too.

dead airs now wolf man can even shoot semi auto .556 with their brake on the rifle. Haven't seen that on anything else yet.
    The wolfman and the Odessa 9 are both on my radar. Definitely the most interesting Dead Air products to me at the moment.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Are Dead air suppressors really the most over built suppressors on the market like so many claim?

They are pretty pricey imo, and I was just curious if all the hype was deserved.

Yes. My Sandman is a tank, but the best/most bulletproof part is the mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom