• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Extremely limited real world usefulness but at least people are trying to design something different. I doubt they sell 200 of these but it is an interesting concept.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/tra...424050113&mc_cid=b93f624b2f&mc_eid=e76e3cbecd
    6c74097f4e260698b5e04aa7038f5f06.jpg

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If I was going to carry a micro gun, it would be the one the author mentioned at the end of the article, the North American Arms revolver, in this case, the Black Widow in 22 Magnum. The handle folds so you don't even need a pocket holster.
    422da2344713169669c169bb5a804a36.jpeg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I didn't see NFA mentioned - would it apply?

That's my concern. I'd go a few bucks for the entertainment value if I could. I know in the past a wallet holster has made the AMT Backup into an NFA item. These guys are likely in the same boat.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Serious, but noob questions.

What's the length of pull on the trigger? Seems like the fixed tang on the frame doesn't allow for a trigger pull of more than 1/4".

And

How hard's the trigger?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's whats called a spur trigger, all that's really needed on a single action revolver. Yes, you have th thumb back the hammer every shot.

Thanks!

Found a good video showing the NAA .22 mag in action.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Seems a ridiculous waste of time and money. I've carried a NAA mini since the 1980's and it's saved my butt twice. Needs no assembly or last minute loading while being mugged.

How did it save your butt?

Did you shoot someone, or did the perp actually see this in your hand?

I think they're cute, but I'd have to go with Hickok45 on these. They're just not very shootable. Like him, I'd carry a .380 before bothering with one of these, but I have big hands, also.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The forum never rests.

----

Great thread thx op, I like novel guns like this, and agree, it's just a novelty.

The naa revolvers are neat though; and my questions about it have already been answered.

Not trying to derail, but I wonder what is the smallest handgun legal to buy/sell in Maryland?

---

I don't see this credit card gun viable for self defense, but cool collectible.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Probably bought it before the HRB , or at least a specific individual gun mfg before the cut off date for creation of HRB .

Famously the Seacamp was initial rejected by the HRB . The Mfg sued , and prevailed . As far as I'm aware / recall , the handfull of pistols that were explicitly Disapproved were all over lack of trigger gaurds.

Added - The Bond Arms " Texas Defender " Derringer should more accurately be called the Maryland Defender . A major factor in introducing pistols with an addable/ removable trigger gaurd vs spur trigger only , was to be Maryland legal .

cb51

How did it save your butt?

Did you shoot someone, or did the perp actually see this in your hand?

I think they're cute, but I'd have to go with Hickok45 on these. They're just not very shootable. Like him, I'd carry a .380 before bothering with one of these, but I have big hands, also.

The fact is, nobody wants to be shot with anything. Getting shot means very bad things happen to the inside of your body. Nobody knows this better than street thugs. They've seen people shot, and also getting shot means if they make it to the ER, it means cops. Questions.

On both occasions, the pointing of the little revolver right at the lowlife in question made him get instant religion. "I swear to God man, I was only messin wit ya!" kind of babbling as they backed away. This was a few blocks off Dupont Circle at about 1AM.

The other incident was on the Appellation Trail, a few miles north of the gravel springs shelter parking lot, by the intersection of the trail and the Big Devil Stairs trail. A redneck type low life was hoping to pray on a tree hugging backpacker and got a warning shot in the ground by his feet instead. Range was about 6 feet. He dropped the Buck knife that he was so dramatically waving around and I gave him the chance to run. He did. I still have the Buck knife.

I know there is a prevailing opinion that a .22 is a joke, and that your trusty .40 this or .45 that is an infallible cannon. But in my own real world experience a .22 is no joke, and is a very effective little self defense tool to carry. Getting gut shot with a coulpe of .22's will double the predator over and stop his attack. I know this from growing up in N.E. D.C. in a not so nice neighborhood. I know what I have seen with my own eyes and what my own experience is. I once saw an attacker go down from two rounds out of one of those little Italian repos of the old 4 barrel sharps derringer. That was .22 short by the way. The would be mugger went down screaming that his guts were on fire. But he did go down. The attack ended. This was in 1969, when those brass framed derringers were 29.95.

If you think a .22 is non effective, take a look at a tape of the Reagan shooting. The tall guy in the gray suit is Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy. He gets hit one time and staggers sideways a few steps clutching his stomach and then goes down critically injured. Press secretary Brady sat around in a wheelchair the rest of his life. And I don't think Bobby Kennedy's widow would dispute the .22's effectiveness.

Yeah, there's better around. A small .38 is good, as is any of the little .380's. But none have the convenience of the little .22 mini revolver that goes in a side pocket of wrangler jeans so easy. And it will work well at the close range most muggings take place. At double arms length, it's no problem to shoot a Melon size target right in the face. Very immediately effective.

The whole key is to just practice with it until you can hit reliably with it at 5 yards and less. Most shootings are just beyond arms length.

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The fact is, nobody wants to be shot with anything. Getting shot means very bad things happen to the inside of your body. Nobody knows this better than street thugs. They've seen people shot, and also getting shot means if they make it to the ER, it means cops. Questions.

On both occasions, the pointing of the little revolver right at the lowlife in question made him get instant religion. "I swear to God man, I was only messin wit ya!" kind of babbling as they backed away. This was a few blocks off Dupont Circle at about 1AM.

The other incident was on the Appellation Trail, a few miles north of the gravel springs shelter parking lot, by the intersection of the trail and the Big Devil Stairs trail. A redneck type low life was hoping to pray on a tree hugging backpacker and got a warning shot in the ground by his feet instead. Range was about 6 feet. He dropped the Buck knife that he was so dramatically waving around and I gave him the chance to run. He did. I still have the Buck knife.

I know there is a prevailing opinion that a .22 is a joke, and that your trusty .40 this or .45 that is an infallible cannon. But in my own real world experience a .22 is no joke, and is a very effective little self defense tool to carry. Getting gut shot with a coulpe of .22's will double the predator over and stop his attack. I know this from growing up in N.E. D.C. in a not so nice neighborhood. I know what Have seen with my own eyes and what my own experience is. I once saw an attacker go down from two rounds out pos one of those little Italian repos of the old 4 barrel sharps derringer. That was .22 short by the way. The would be mugger went down screaming that his guts were on fire. But he did go down. The attack ended.

If you think a .22 is non effective, take a look at a tape of the Reagan shooting. The tall guy in the gray suit is Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy. He gets hit one time and staggers sideways a few steps clutching his stomach and then goes down critically injured. Press secretary Brady sat around in a wheelchair the rest of his life. And I don't think Bobby Kennedy's widow would dispute the .22's effectiveness.

Yeah, there's better around. A small .38 is good, as is any of the little .380's. But none have the convenience of the little .22 mini revolver that goes in a side pocket of wrangler jeans so easy. And it will work well at the close range most muggings take place. At double arms length, it's no problem to shoot a Melon size target right in the face. Very immediately effective.

The whole key is to just practice with it until you can hit reliably with it at 5 yards and less. Most shootings are just beyond arms length.

I get that it's a trade-off between size and power, and that nobody wants to get shot. It's the rimfire ammo that is the weak link. Misfires are somewhat common. If you get a dud in a defensive situation, you have a problem. And I'm not very lucky in that department. So yeah, it's a personal choice. I just don't think I'm going for rimfire in a serious role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom