• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I bought a new one on Gunbroker for $371. I haven't picked it up yet. I'm about to get my New Hampshire CCW and wanted a single stack 9mm to add to my carry options. Currently I have an M&P 9c, S&W 637 J frame revolver, and a CZ 75D PCR as my potential carry options.

Does anyone own the XDs 9mm? What do you think of it? What holster do you use with it? I may pocket carry it with a DeSantis Nemesis, but I'd like an idea if anyone has a good rig for it. I'm a big guy 6'0" 250lbs so I should easily be able to conceal it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I bought a new one on Gunbroker for $371. I haven't picked it up yet. I'm about to get my New Hampshire CCW and wanted a single stack 9mm to add to my carry options. Currently I have an M&P 9c, S&W 637 J frame revolver, and a CZ 75D PCR as my potential carry options.

Does anyone own the XDs 9mm? What do you think of it? What holster do you use with it? I may pocket carry it with a DeSantis Nemesis, but I'd like an idea if anyone has a good rig for it. I'm a big guy 6'0" 250lbs so I should easily be able to conceal it.

Yes.

They are as reliable as reliable gets.

I have one of the original V10 four inch models. Oodles and oodles of rounds through that gun.

No malfunctions of any kind. If Maryland allowed carry, I would carry it with no reservations.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Does anyone own the XDs 9mm?

Yes.

What do you think of it?

It's great.

What holster do you use with it?

A Wilson leather works.

I may pocket carry it with a DeSantis Nemesis, but I'd like an idea if anyone has a good rig for it. I'm a big guy 6'0" 250lbs so I should easily be able to conceal it.

I hope you have big pockets then. It's a bit of a brick for pocket carry.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have a XD 9mm and love it. Very reliable,accurate pistol. I do carry it when in W V in a crossbreed inw holster on my property but to be honest it,s not my first choice for a ccw due to it,s size. Nothing negative against the XD, just anything of that size is difficult for my small frame to conceal compared to my LCR or
    Glock 26. As for the pistol itself. Excellent firearm, you won,t be disappointed

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have a XD 9mm and love it. Very reliable,accurate pistol. I do carry it when in W V in a crossbreed inw holster on my property but to be honest it,s not my first choice for a ccw due to it,s size. Nothing negative against the XD, just anything of that size is difficult for my small frame to conceal compared to my LCR or
    Glock 26. As for the pistol itself. Excellent firearm, you won,t be disappointed

Yes, I'm asking about the XDs 9mm which has a 3.3 inch barrel and is a single stack 9mm. Thanks anyway.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I don't carry, but if I did I'd tote the largest caliber I could and prefer the piece to be a reliable 6 shot revolver mit a 4" barrel. Don't like the mini guns at all for any purpose; too damn small and more of a risk to the carrier than the perp.

Gifted a SA XD-9 mit strong light to our son years ago. Liked it a lot and still do...we stow it here for safe keeping. He uses a ball bat, sawed off lacrosse stick, bear spray, knife and bare hands for self defense.

Lew--Ranger63

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I got mine (4') for IDPA. I shoot it well at a stationery range, but I think it's too light for IDPA where I stink with it past 7 yards. Inside of 7 yards I'm deadly. I guess I'm used to my CZ85 Combat and its heft.

In speed reloads I've caught part of my hand when I slam in the mag. Not fun.

Mine was new and I use the Springfield issued holster.

If you want a 4' I'll take that awful and burdensome CZ 75D PCR off your hands for my XDs.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I got mine (4') for IDPA. I shoot it well at a stationery range, but I think it's too light for IDPA where I stink with it past 7 yards. Inside of 7 yards I'm deadly. I guess I'm used to my CZ85 Combat and its heft.

In speed reloads I've caught part of my hand when I slam in the mag. Not fun.

Mine was new and I use the Springfield issued holster.

If you want a 4' I'll take that awful and burdensome CZ 75D PCR off your hands for my XDs.

Haha. No, I'm a CZ fan boy with 8 CZ pistols. I love them. That said, I may be selling my 97BD and/or my 75B nickel .40 caliber.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Have owned the XDS in both .45 and 9mm. Great pistols. Too large to pocket carry except perhaps in a large coat pocket. Get yourself a nice Barber Leatherworks IWB holster with snaps and straps. Spend the extra $10 and get horsehide. You won't be disappointed.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've shot them a lot, both 9mm and 45; excellent, highly recommend.

Holster/belt are just as important as the gun, especially for ccw.

Both kydex and leather are great, I give the edge to kydex for concealed guns, mostly because they are thinner and generally last longer.

Other guns in this catagory to consider: M&P Shield, Kahr CW9, a couple others.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Really like my XDS 45, shot plenty of 9s too. It's probably the easiest compact single stack to shoot out of the newer models. Trigger is very predictible and feedback is good. The various factory mag lengths and sleeves are wonderful, the flat mag has a little extension to secure a solid 2 finger grip, the larger mags offer a full grip and more capacity. I swapped in night sights which is easy as they take Sig part numbers. You have a nice high grip to control recoil, and being the pistol is fairly heavy, recoil isn't as bad as you would think.

There are a couple downsides, it's a heavy pistol for it's size, the giant loaded chamber indicator can get into the sight picture with some sights(easy to file down a little)and the new trigger design can have a couple rough spots, but easy enough to polish out, primarily under the grip safety where the spring leg hits it. I pocket carry it often, it's basically the largest pistol that can be practically pocket carried in cargo pants/shorts, so a thin kydex pocket holster helps reduce bulk compared to leather or nylon, I use one from Jbowie12 on eBay. It's fairly thin and flat, so does well IWB provided the holster flattens out the shape of the corners, the short barrel and thin profile also conceal well year round in a high riding OWB under an untucked shirt. I primarily carry a G19 or 27 for most of the year, and a small PM9 in really hot weather, but do occasionally carry the XDS when I want something thin and light, but in a larger caliber, usually when hiking or biking in the woods.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Really like my XDS 45, shot plenty of 9s too. It's probably the easiest compact single stack to shoot out of the newer models. Trigger is very predictible and feedback is good. The various factory mag lengths and sleeves are wonderful, the flat mag has a little extension to secure a solid 2 finger grip, the larger mags offer a full grip and more capacity. I swapped in night sights which is easy as they take Sig part numbers. You have a nice high grip to control recoil, and being the pistol is fairly heavy, recoil isn't as bad as you would think.

There are a couple downsides, it's a heavy pistol for it's size, the giant loaded chamber indicator can get into the sight picture with some sights(easy to file down a little)and the new trigger design can have a couple rough spots, but easy enough to polish out, primarily under the grip safety where the spring leg hits it. I pocket carry it often, it's basically the largest pistol that can be practically pocket carried in cargo pants/shorts, so a thin kydex pocket holster helps reduce bulk compared to leather or nylon, I use one from Jbowie12 on eBay. It's fairly thin and flat, so does well IWB provided the holster flattens out the shape of the corners, the short barrel and thin profile also conceal well year round in a high riding OWB under an untucked shirt. I primarily carry a G19 or 27 for most of the year, and a small PM9 in really hot weather, but do occasionally carry the XDS when I want something thin and light, but in a larger caliber, usually when hiking or biking in the woods.

Great feedback. Thanks!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Before you buy one, try to look at a XDm compact and put them side by side. It's not that much larger and gives you 13 rds in the shorty mag and 19 in a regular one.
    As others have said, its not really a pocket pistol. And once you have it in your holster, you may decide that the slightly larger XDm compact is the way to go. Sort of a Glock 43 vs 26 situation.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Before you buy one, try to look at a XDm compact and put them side by side. It's not that much larger and gives you 13 rds in the shorty mag and 19 in a regular one.
    As others have said, its not really a pocket pistol. And once you have it in your holster, you may decide that the slightly larger XDm compact is the way to go. Sort of a Glock 43 vs 26 situation.

The XDM is wayyy larger, a huge difference compared to the G26-G43. The GLOCKs are close in size with the 43 being about 1/8" thinner, but the XDm is more than 1/4" wider, and 1/2" longer. The slide length isn't as big as the width, makes it much more difficult to carry IWB, and impossible to pocket carry, hard to convey how big 1/4" difference in width makes unless you carry daily, and try both pistols.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The XDM is wayyy larger, a huge difference compared to the G26-G43. The GLOCKs are close in size with the 43 being about 1/8" thinner, but the XDm is more than 1/4" wider, and 1/2" longer. The slide length isn't as big as the width, makes it much more difficult to carry IWB, and impossible to pocket carry, hard to convey how big 1/4" difference in width makes unless you carry daily, and try both pistols.

I carry both on a regular basis. Tried to dig out the pics earlier that I took of them side by side.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Before I moved here I carried an XD Mod 2 .45 ACP, with the short barrel. Love the pistol and it is easy for a big guy to conceal. I prefer it in a leather shoulder holster under a light coat.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not the 9, but I carry an XDs 3.3 in .45 ACP when in the United States.

I carry in an Alien Gear IWB holster.

I like the combo.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Here is a pic (on the left) of the XDS .45 in a Barber Leather Works holster.

Attachments

• Barber Leather.jpg
      Barber Leather.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 362

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom