• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    My first purchase of 2016 and since moving to PA, is my first AK47, the 2015 model WASR 10!! :D

There were many factors and research that factored into my final choice of variant. I didn't want to spend over 1k for starters, but keep it a budget buy. I did want to have the ability to swap the furniture out to any standard AK furniture. That eliminated the N&O PaP's out of the mix and most milled receivers including the C39v2 which I was also considering.

I wanted a new factory production AK, not a USA made receiver (M70ab) with an old parts kit from who knows where and when. The Ras47 is a new factory production build in the right price point but appears to be in "working out the kinks" phase with a lot of negative reports surfacing.

The Cugir factory in Romania is producing a new WASR 10 that is night and day from years past. It's not a high end AK, the finish is awful, the bolt carrier has machining marks that looks like it was made by all 7 of snow whites dwarfs with their mining picks.:rolleyes:

They are hit or miss in regard to the sights being canted. Ordering one online, could be risky. It would be best if a buyer can inspect and buy one in person or use a company like Atlantic Firearms that offers inspection as a service.

I found a shop nearby in Gettysburg that had them in stock. The first model I checked out, had pretty badly canted sights and the bolt carrier was getting hung up pretty badly, and was not smooth at all. Luckily there were a few more in stock and I was able to hand pick one with perfect sights. All the rivets looked good. The bolt carrier moved freely nice and smooth, has a chrome lined barrel, it has a cleaning rod and bayonet lug and the wood furniture is even really nice which I can still swap out if I wanted to. I have my eye on this set http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...classic-russian-sunburst-detail.html?Itemid=0

Ran 150 rounds through it so far without a hiccup.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Magazine wobble was another issue, but easily fixed. Nice starter AK.

Q

Thanks!! I checked 3 different mag types at he shop and all were great, very minimal wobble in all 3 :thumbsup:

:cool: you knew this was coming sooner or later. You will enjoy your SBR just as much if not more :party29:

Nice! A WASR was also my first purchase upon fleeing MD. I got one the day I moved in to VA.

Grats on your escape!!

i would've went the Saiga route

Too pricey for a starter AK, I was out the door for $650.00 for this one

Had mine for over 10 years and I love it! Never had any problems with it.

I bet you paid much less than I did 10 years ago :sad20: Nice to hear your positive report.

Feb 28, 2013
    Not bad. :thumbsup:

I would personally prefer the wood havin' a bit more of the "been there done that" look. Yours looks a bit too good.

My stock had hammer marks in it, which is a bit more befittin' a spartan rifle like a Kalashnikov.

Also, you need some steel mags. Those are more recogizable to libtards as the classic AK-47 look, which helps to achieve optimum political incorrectness.:innocent0

Enjoy yer new "military style assault weapon" with the comfortin' thought that with every shot fired, Sen. Frankenfeinstein sheds a tear. :evilgrin3

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Not bad. :thumbsup:

I would personally prefer the wood havin' a bit more of the "been there done that" look. Yours looks a bit too good.

My stock had hammer marks in it, which is a bit more befittin' a spartan rifle like a Kalashnikov.

Also, you need some steel mags. Those are more recogizable to libtards as the classic AK-47 look, which helps to achieve optimum political incorrectness.:innocent0

Enjoy yer new "military style assault weapon" with the comfortin' thought that with every shot fired, Sen. Frankenfeinstein sheds a tear. :evilgrin3

Yes!!! Steel mags are a top priority along with a sling, bayonet and I need a sight adjustment tool, it's shooting a lil high. (front post down is up and up is down right?)
    I kind of agree, the wood should be as crappy as the finish on this thing haha!!:lol2: The wood is much nicer than I had expected it would be.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Looks like you got one of the nicer ones. :thumbsup:

I've been very happy with the WASR-10 I bought a few years ago - before AK's became verbotten in Marylandistan. The only thing I didn't like was the furniture. After a refinish project with some bleach, RIT dye and Tung Oil I smiled.

:)

Attachments

• WASR-10 (Right) DSC05446.jpg
      WASR-10 (Right) DSC05446.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 1,021
    • DSC05915.jpg
      DSC05915.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 791

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Looks like you got one of the nicer ones. :thumbsup:

I've been very happy with the WASR-10 I bought a few years ago - before AK's became verbotten in Marylandistan. The only thing I didn't like was the furniture. After a refinish project with some bleach, RIT dye and Tung Oil I smiled.

:)

The job you did on that wood looks great!!! very nice

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    < Sobs into pillow

I miss having the option to buy an AK. I can hit stuff more regularly and out to greater distances with other rifles, but one's clearly more dangerous than the other... :D

Congrats, and buy more while you can! I see a 5.45 in your future...

Feb 28, 2013
    ....And after, with some red oak stain and five coats of shellac.

I believe comrade Mikhail would be proud.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 488

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    < Sobs into pillow

I miss having the option to buy an AK. I can hit stuff more regularly and out to greater distances with other rifles, but one's clearly more dangerous than the other... :D

Congrats, and buy more while you can! I see a 5.45 in your future...

Thanks!! haha Idk, I have an itch for a 1911 next. If the Panthers win the super bowl I win the pool at work, I'll have some tough decisions to make. I like my chances of winning.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    man, those stain jobs look great. I gotta do that to my m92. Looks silly with the pasty wood on it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom