• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ruger had also expanded their Ruger American line ...

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

There's a broad range of calibers (300 BLK, 6.5 Creedmore, 308, etc), and lefty options.

Pricing is very competitive. The Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK (with threaded barrel) was recently around $300 ...

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-american-compact-300blk-fde-matte-black-29999

This one has the 12.5-inch length of pull. I've set up an alert for the 13.75-inch length of pull when released.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Wish we could get the PSA PA-10 in Maryland.

The very similar Mossberg MVP Patrol 762 (308) is about $530. See the Grabagun link upthread or pricing below ...

http://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/015813277389

Get an out of state IP to order it for you? Might me more hassle that it's worth though.

So the MVP is looking to be about $150 cheaper and 1.5-2 lbs lighter. Would love to see an accuracy comparison (by an experienced shooter).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I thought 16" ar-10s are in the 8 lb range? Maybe I am wrong?
    Depends. DPMS is about 8.3lbs. Sig 716 is 9.3lbs. Jeff Cooper weight cut-off for a scout is like 7.5lbs.

I kinda love these tactical-style bolt rifles. They're not going to break any accuracy records, but they're a cool evolution of what used to be a sort of Fudd-ish gun.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Depends. DPMS is about 8.3lbs. Sig 716 is 9.3lbs. Jeff Cooper weight cut-off for a scout is like 7.5lbs.

I kinda love these tactical-style bolt rifles. They're not going to break any accuracy records, but they're a cool evolution of what used to be a sort of Fudd-ish gun.

Yea true, and they aren't going to break the bank either.

Does that 7.5 lbs include an optic? In my mind an extra pound always sounds like it would be negligible, but in real life it is very noticeable.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I've been eyeing on one of these the options are plentiful, .308. 300 Blk, 556, Tomix has a 300 BLK Barrel option for the MVP Patrol...coming out soon... Plus I'm thinking if I get the 308 I won't have to buy different magazines, my Lancer 308 would work just fine...hmmm

Yea true, and they aren't going to break the bank either.

Does that 7.5 lbs include an optic? In my mind an extra pound always sounds like it would be negligible, but in real life it is very noticeable.

This weight thing in real life "OMG", unless your pounding the turf 5 miles or more with a rifle and than even one pound won't make any difference only IF YOU GOT 75 LBS on your Back...with the weapon...Plus AMMO there is your weight....

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    This weight thing in real life "OMG", unless your pounding the turf 5 miles or more with a rifle and than even one pound won't make any difference only IF YOU GOT 75 LBS on your Back...with the weapon...Plus AMMO there is your weight....

It has nothing to do with carrying the weight...

It is about holding the gun shouldered for extended periods standing unsupported.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's a Talo edition on sale ...

http://www.slickguns.com/product/mossberg-talo-mvp-308-win-16-barrel-matte-blue-bipod-57047

(regular pricing for the Talos is higher)

Not my cup-of-tea, although a more standard Patrol or Scout variant might be one the I pick up as a possible brush/hog gun while debating which semi 308 to shop for in the future. Already have 308 in the closet for another bolt and lever, so no potential energy barrier to overcome (when getting a new caliber).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's hard to walk away from.

I am very pleased with my Mossberg MVP 5.56. Sure some of the parts are not the best finish and there is more plastic on it than I would like but its a solid little gun and shoots great.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ruger had also expanded their Ruger American line ...

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

There's a broad range of calibers (300 BLK, 6.5 Creedmore, 308, etc), and lefty options.

Pricing is very competitive. The Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK (with threaded barrel) was recently around $300 ...

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-american-compact-300blk-fde-matte-black-29999

This one has the 12.5-inch length of pull. I've set up an alert for the 13.75-inch length of pull when released.

Any luck finding the Ruger in 300 BLK? I think that may be my next purchase. Looks like the perfect hunting rifle for my daughter and a cool suppressor host for me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Not yet. There was a small, almost test market, release in November. If I get an alert (which only covers probably a dozen internet dealers), I'll PM you a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom