• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ok, I have never purchased a wheel gun, how is the bore lock requirement handled?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My one wheel gun came with an integral lock in the frame and was not required to purchase a borelock. My other wheel gun required a bore lock

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep the statute says the lock must be sold WITH the gun.

Not necessarily IN it

More stupidity from the do gooders in Annapolis

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Most newish revolvers come with the Clinton hole, so its unnecessary.

Only if the revolver was made prior to 2002ish would you run into the need to a bore lock.

Yes, it's entirely possible for you to do something stupid like put the bore lock in wrong and fire the gun. That is not peculiar to revolvers. I have yet to meet a person that actually uses the bore lock except to receive the gun. You can also do other stupid things with guns. Pay attention and always assume your gun is loaded is usually a good rule.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Most newish revolvers come with the Clinton hole, so its unnecessary.

Only if the revolver was made prior to 2002ish would you run into the need to a bore lock.

Yes, it's entirely possible for you to do something stupid like put the bore lock in wrong and fire the gun. That is not peculiar to revolvers. I have yet to meet a person that actually uses the bore lock except to receive the gun. You can also do other stupid things with guns. Pay attention and always assume your gun is loaded is usually a good rule.

I don't believe that any of my Rugers have the Clinton lock.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    The bore lock I have shows the tampon spanning the barrel and the cylinder when (if) installed. So it locks up the cylinder and prevents any movement of the action.

OK that makes sense, thanks, not buying a wheel gun, it just struck me that if you open, cylinder, installed in barrel, you could then fire a round into the lock. Probably wouldnt do gun, shooter, and bystanders any good.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have fondled some Rugers, they are pretty sweet.
    Get an SP101 with 3-inch barrel ...

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sp101-357mag-3-1-16-fs-ss.html

(That's a pretty amazing price for one, btw)

It's easy to carry (relatively slim), and one can shoot a box of magnums without any real fatigue. The pistol absorbs recoil well. Moreover, one starts deriving the benefits of a magnum round from a 3-inch barrel.

I have the same model with low, fixed, no snag sights, and have just replaced the grips with something a bit fancier. Despite me being a middling shooter, I have no problem hitting a 5-6 inch diameter region from 10 yards with double action pulls - with either 38 Special or 357 Magnum rounds. I'm going on an out-of-state trip in a week or so with urban as well as camping/backpacking segments, and this will be my carry gun given its versatility (38 Special shot shell rounds, 38 Special +P defensive rounds, 357 Magnum hard cast rounds) and convenient size.

I have some terrific small to mid-sized revolvers, but if I could keep only one (in the K-frame or smaller category), it would be the SP101 (and I'm shocked to have come to this conclusion - if was really an after thought to get one).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Get an SP101 with 3-inch barrel ...

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sp101-357mag-3-1-16-fs-ss.html

(That's a pretty amazing price for one, btw)

It's easy to carry (relatively slim), and one can shoot a box of magnums without any real fatigue. The pistol absorbs recoil well. Moreover, one starts deriving the benefits of a magnum round from a 3-inch barrel.

I have the same model with low, fixed, no snag sights, and have just replaced the grips with something a bit fancier. Despite me being a middling shooter, I have no problem hitting a 5-6 inch diameter region from 10 yards with double action pulls - with either 38 Special or 357 Magnum rounds. I'm going on an out-of-state trip in a week or so with urban as well as camping/backpacking segments, and this will be my carry gun given its versatility (38 Special shot shell rounds, 38 Special +P defensive rounds, 357 Magnum hard cast rounds) and convenient size.

I have some terrific small to mid-sized revolvers, but if I could keep only one (in the K-frame or smaller category), it would be the SP101 (and I'm shocked to have come to this conclusion - if was really an after thought to get one).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very nice. So far the main reason I've stuck with S&W is the speed loaders and holsters I have are interchangeable. Unfortunately, my daughter now seems to share a revolver obsession. She got to shoot a Blackhawk and her eyes lit up like Christmas.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Very nice. So far the main reason I've stuck with S&W is the speed loaders and holsters I have are interchangeable. Unfortunately, my daughter now seems to share a revolver obsession. She got to shoot a Blackhawk and her eyes lit up like Christmas.

That's sad. You've turned your own daughter into a slinky. For shame, dad for shame

:lol:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey !

Biggfootette inherited the genes from both parents, she prefers S&W revolvers ( owns M66-2).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Present from her Uncle ( my BIL ).

I was looking for a M19-4 in Shooter Grade , he had better sucuess in his seearch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom