• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bought a new SCAR 16 FDE couple weeks ago. Heard nothing but good things, SpecOps guys seemed to like them, plus it looks so damn cool. Haven't had a chance for range time yet but I love how the thing feels shouldered & can't wait to break it in.

One warning for new owners in case you don't know or hadn't been warned. Changing the short plastic pic rails on the front sides is a gigantic PITA. Bought replacement steel (aluminum?) extended rail with 2 QD connect swivels so I could use my QD slings instead of getting hook-style attachment sling. I just thought it would take 10 min tops for this, WRONG! 3 hours, plus.

When you take the 2 screws out, the muzzle-end screw is apparently backed by a square nut with threaded hole, and IT'S NOT CAPTURED OR PART OF THE RECEIVER . This stupid nut drops out of its slot & falls into the barrel/receiver area, leaving a perfect thread hole in the rear, and an empty hole in the front. It started rattling around and took 15 min of shaking and shimmying to get it to fall out. Oh and there's also a seemingly unnecessary sliver of metal/retention kinda spring under the rail that falls out too (for the life of me I can't figure out what the heck that's for, and it's supposed to be installed on/under the new rail). Next came a complete disassembly of the rifle, minus the barrel, in order to gain a small bit of access to try to fix this.

I took several hours fishing that nut back into the inside, trying to rotate it back to the proper orientation (oh yeah, the screw hole isn't centered and only lines up with the hole in one possible way). I was finally able to use a bent pocket knife blade to reach thru the opposite side thru the top vent hole to put enough pressure on the back of the nut so I could get a thread caught on the screw thru the new rail. This may sound somewhat simple, let me tell you I wanted to punch the FN SCAR design folks square in the face, repeatedly. :mad54: Like I said, about 3 hrs 15 min later I luckily got it completed and put back together (minus that odd slim metal spring - I can't really see how the pic rail needs that in the least).

So my warning to those thinking the same thing I did, don't do it, or get lots of tools ready, get YouTube spooled up for assistance, and carve out some time.

BTW, putting on a MagPul VFG, changing the A2 stock pistol grip with an ERGO grip, adding Tango Down SCAR rail covers to each side, and mounting the Eotech red dot all in total took less than 15 min. Taking out 2 screws to remove the old rail to replace with a new rail took almost 3-1/2 hrs. Fun stuff. You've been warned.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Should have taken the barrel assembly out then removed the rails - it's literally six captured screws; I've never run into issues doing things that way as it gives you plenty of room to work inside the receiver. The leaf spring type thing is used to retain the forward most barrel retaining screw and is itself retained by the inside of the plastic pic rail. I would recommend taking a look at the parts diagram on Midwest Gunworks' website.

You should understand the rail interface was not intended to be a user-serviceable item - the gun was designed for the military a certain way and switching around those rails as a commercial end-user was not considered in the design.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Should have taken the barrel assembly out then removed the rails - it's literally six captured screws; I've never run into issues doing things that way as it gives you plenty of room to work inside the receiver. The leaf spring type thing is used to retain the forward most barrel retaining screw and is itself retained by the inside of the plastic pic rail. I would recommend taking a look at the parts diagram on Midwest Gunworks' website.

You should understand the rail interface was not intended to be a user-serviceable item - the gun was designed for the military a certain way and switching around those rails as a commercial end-user was not considered in the design.
    So that "spring" is to retain the front barrel screw? Crap, I think I'll re-do that then with including that back in the mix. As far as taking the barrel out, I started trying that until I found out that with all my might I couldn't even budge one of them. I didn't want to break them, so I gave up. I pulled up YouTube and they mentioned that only a FN licensed service tech is supposed to do that, supposedly in the owners manual (didn't check but since I couldn't do it anyway I'll just take their word for it) and may void the warranty. Saw a good video about how to do that, using some special torque-limiting tool. Again, I'll look that up & figure it out later.

Funny, I looked on FN Scar owner blog and everyone 100% said the same thing you said, the rails weren't meant to be changed. They all cursed and hated the process as much as I did. I wish Cheaper Than Dirt and Tango Down thought about that when they sold me the new rail.

I wrote my post to keep others from making the same mistake I did. All I wanted was a way to add a QD cup at the front, seemed like a very very simple thing to do. In hindsight I'd now just get a QD / hook adapter, or a pic rail mounted QD, mounted to the original rail.

Thanks for your advice, I could still head in that direction for a possible next time. Maybe next time I'll heat the screws a bit, IDK.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Hmmm... I can completely disassemble either of my SCARs including the trigger pack in about 15 min.

Post a pic of the gadget you installed.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hmmm... I can completely disassemble either of my SCARs including the trigger pack in about 15 min.

Post a pic of the gadget you installed.
    Midwest Industries FN SCAR rail extension #MI-S1617SR. Also like the Tango Down SC-004 4-1/4" rail covers that leave the front & rear QD cups exposed while covering the skin & leather grating rail itself. Funny, now that I see the pic of the package - "have installed by a qualified gunsmith". Huh, didn't catch that part. Not that I woulda listened to be truthful. Woulda been nice for them to tell me why, and might've listened then...

Gotta be honest, ONE of the 6 barrel screws can be removed. The rest were put in by some space age industrial strength Loc-Tite and torqued down by the Incredible Hulk :envy: I have tools I can use to get them out, but I'd probably damage something on the $2,700 rifle I've never fired. Not a chance in hell, not to until I need to.

As far as the spring nut retainer thing, I'm saving it in a bag in case I need it later, but since it likely won't affect the rifle's operation I'm not too worried about retaining the left-front barrel screw as you mentioned. I actually did try to install it, and it apparently wasn't too compatible with this rail piece (could never get it to sit flush on the receiver) so I pulled it out and set it aside.

Attachments

• 20170807_203240.jpg
      20170807_203240.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 408
    • 2017-08-07 20.27.24_1502152123845_resized.jpg
      2017-08-07 20.27.24_1502152123845_resized.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 403
    • 2017-08-07 20.26.47_1502152124191_resized.jpg
      2017-08-07 20.26.47_1502152124191_resized.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 399

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    To get the barrel screws out you need to heat it first. If you follow the instructions on the Midwest Gun Works site it is simple and straightforward. I swapped mine out in 10 minutes.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    To get the barrel screws out you need to heat it first. If you follow the instructions on the Midwest Gun Works site it is simple and straightforward. I swapped mine out in 10 minutes.
    Thx for the tip. Duly noted. I'll check out Midwest Gunworks as suggested.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Thanks for the pics.

I have a MREX rail on my '17... it was fairly easy to install although I decided to remove the two rear screws.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Second the MREX rail. I did stupid things taking off the original rails but now am super happy never to have to do it again. And it is super sexy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Gotta pic of the MREX?

Mine is also the long version, but is on a 16" barrel (SCAR17). I like the extended low rail ahead of the front site - works well with for a flashlight with a C-clamp grip (if that is your thing). What I love is getting my hand far away from the reciprocating charging handle - I never got bit, but other people did.

LgSLBVT.jpg

Last edited:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Love the short rail on the short barrel. It makes a huge difference in length either way without adding almost any weight. Added benefit - less exposed hot barrel to melt your case and hands. Nearly all my ARs have rifle length handguards now for that reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom