• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    I'm contemplating a build of a vz58 parts kit on an old Ohio Rapid Fire receiver. Anyone have any suggestions on who would be able to press the barrel into the receiver for me and help with the overall build? I've already asked Duffy's and was told they don't do builds on the vz platform anymore because it isn't financially worth the hassle. When I called Scott's I was told they don't have the proper equipment to do so. I don't personally have the equipment or know how but am not wanting to give up and sell off what I've collected quite yet.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Ok, apparently this isn't gonna get built. What is the current market for an original ORF receiver? This one is from the middle of the run, prior to the Ohio Rapid Fire owner's death but after the initial "teething" issues. How about a VZ58 parts kit? This one has an original barrel that is already off the trunion.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You can press a barrel yourself with some all-thread, nuts, steel stock, etc.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    I have a press and could help press the barrel into the receiver and possibly help with headspace. But, I've never built a VZ so could only help try and figure it out. I have a VZ for reference as well. I'm not a gunsmith either, I should add.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Polish that sucker lightly with emery cloth and freeze it with liquid nitrogen or freon when you use the press. Bet it slips right in easy. warm the reciever. Just make sure you have thought completely through the process and work safely, I would make sure to have that receiver support and the reamer for the 4mm pin though. Looks like you may have to destroy that lug though to get it apart if you don't use an empty case or gauge to act as a stop. And just so you know I'm completely unfamiliar with that rig becuase theyre not my thing,Just get it close for HS with feeler stock. It would take some gathering skills i guess to accumulate the right spacers and bushing materials during prep which is everything could be a lot of room for error but that could be done with some pre planning and dry run I think. You just don't want to crush or mangle that receiver or whatever it;s called on a weapon of that sort. I never thought I could slip fit bronze bushings in an aluminum MC case if I never tried cuz BSA cases aren't just lying around anymore. Did it the same way once the old man showed me how to do it.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Doesn't look awful. If clutch has a decent press, that ORF jig is probably a must?

But a .005" press fit isn't the end of the world. Just grease the hell out of it and go slow keeping that receiver supported.

Without a press, using the true AK way of just using a steering column puller might work as well.

I've never built a VZ, but I've done a few Cetme/HK barrels.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    Clutch, that's a very generous offer. I truly appreciate it. Have you ever pressed a barrel before? This is the only guide I've seen and it looks daunting...http://www.projectguns.com/vz581.html

I have. That's a good tutorial. I just skimmed it but it mentions a half of a thousandth interference/press fit (.0005"). That is not much at all. The critical factor is supporting the receiver/trunion. That is a must. The listed tool is ideal but you could probably fabricate something to work similarly. But, for $20, if still available from ORF, that's pretty reasonable for such a tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom