• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am aware of the compatibility limitations of AR-308/AR-10 rifles and such. If you were to recommend a good start lower, not something high end, but functional and a good price, what would you recommend?

I’ve been looking at an Aeroprecision M-5 loser as it appears to be fully DPMS pattern compatible and the price seems reasonable. A little shocking compared to the $40 and $50 AR-15 Anderson lowers you can find everywhere, but I don’t really expect (even though I want) the 308/10 stuff to be as cheap.

Or is there another better option in the same <$200 price range. Cheaper is better unless I’d be sacrificing a lot of quality and/or compatibility (I’d like it to be DPMS pattern compatible).

Just thinking maybe as a black Friday/Christmas gift picking one up for the safe for some future build. I’ve got a couple of other things ahead of it, but a receiver in the hand is worth whatever somewhere else.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I built mine with an Aero Precision lower. I bought what I thought would be a compatible complete upper. I ended up buying a stripped Aero Precision upper. Cost me a couple extra bucks but it worked out in the end.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    How would a polymer AR10 lower hold up? Are they durable?

I just bought a polymer 80% AR308 lower with jig and bits from Brownells for $95, free shipping. At that price I figured why not.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That bad?

I hunt with a 30-06 and don't really want to reload a new caliber right now so I won't shoot an AR-308 much, a few trips to the range here and there and for one of my teenage boys to use for home defense if SHTF.

I seriously question the longevity of a polymer lower for an AR-15, much less an AR-10, due to the inherent weakness of polymers at the receiver extension. The original design is for aluminum, spend the money and buy something that you know won't have issues down the line.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'm curious if anyone has had problems with polymer lowers. I haven't had any issues with either the AR15 lower or AR 10 lower in polymer. I don't put thousands of rounds through them though. Any first hand knowledge of failures?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah. That is why I am looking at a completed aluminum receiver. I might dabble with an 80% polymer at some point. But I won’t put any faith in it. The kind of thing I’d do if I wanted an AR-10 in .308 and also one in 6.5 creedmore, but wanted a little fun finishing out a lower and didn’t care too much about longevity.

Oh no, worst that happens is I swap the upper on to my functional lower and I have to go buy a new lower at some point. If it is my one and only, it means I have a broken gun and no way to shoot the upper.

My deer rifle is a .308 Sako and is really like to get a semi-auto in the same. AR-10 seeems like the easiest/best way to do that. Having built a couple of AR-15s, I know that the AR-10 is different, but I can’t help myself. I’d much rather build it than buy something off the shelf.

Hell, in a year or three I want a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun to go with the AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel I am finishing up over the next few months. I’ll probably get a Howa barreled action for that...because it isn’t quite the same, but sort of kind of in the direction of building it myself (at least more like customizing it myself there).

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    I'm curious if anyone has had problems with polymer lowers. I haven't had any issues with either the AR15 lower or AR 10 lower in polymer. I don't put thousands of rounds through them though. Any first hand knowledge of failures?

From what I have gathered, the original polymer lowers that first came out, there were issues with the lower cracking/failing at the connection of the stock and lower.

My p80 AR15s, have lasted several years of abuse from my two boys, couldn't tell you accurately the number of rounds, but its in the 1000s with the way those two shoot LOL Keep debating if I want to take the youngest's out for a 3-gun competition, just to see how it would last.

Been staring at my p80AR308 for quite sometime, trying to figure out if I want to work on it or hold out and put together a 6.5creedmore with an aluminum lower... Am still debating the reliability of the AR308 to be honest.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'm thinking the polymer will last for my needs. If not I'll buy a better lower down the road. Like I said, I'm not sure how often I'll actually shoot this since I'd rather put in the time with my AR-15, my hunting rifles, and my carry guns. I really like my VZ-2008 but I don't shoot it much for those same reasons.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah. That is why I am looking at a completed aluminum receiver. I might dabble with an 80% polymer at some point. But I won’t put any faith in it. The kind of thing I’d do if I wanted an AR-10 in .308 and also one in 6.5 creedmore, but wanted a little fun finishing out a lower and didn’t care too much about longevity.

Oh no, worst that happens is I swap the upper on to my functional lower and I have to go buy a new lower at some point. If it is my one and only, it means I have a broken gun and no way to shoot the upper.

My deer rifle is a .308 Sako and is really like to get a semi-auto in the same. AR-10 seeems like the easiest/best way to do that. Having built a couple of AR-15s, I know that the AR-10 is different, but I can’t help myself. I’d much rather build it than buy something off the shelf.

Hell, in a year or three I want a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun to go with the AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel I am finishing up over the next few months. I’ll probably get a Howa barreled action for that...because it isn’t quite the same, but sort of kind of in the direction of building it myself (at least more like customizing it myself there).

Go with an Aero M5. I have one and I love it. I'm working on my parts list right now.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks!

Any suggestions on who to transfer through in central Maryland? South Carroll (I haven’t used them yet)? I guess I’d need to contact whomever to confirm how they will do it, but an AR-10 receiver would normally transfer as just a long gun, not 77r?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks!

Any suggestions on who to transfer through in central Maryland? South Carroll (I haven’t used them yet)? I guess I’d need to contact whomever to confirm how they will do it, but an AR-10 receiver would normally transfer as just a long gun, not 77r?

AR-10's and AR-10 lowers are not regulated firearms. Just a 4473 and you are done. Hafer's had/has them. They are an IP too and it is a nice drive out to Hagersbush.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    OP give PSA a look. They usually put their pa-10 stuff on sale for pretty cheap. Or you could snag an assembled rifle from them. The have them on sale from time to time for about $800

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Jesus, Fidelity. You are a god damn enabler.

Apparently I now have an upper and lower set on order. Never done an online order/transfer at local FFL. Worried it is going to be too easy and wind up costing me money from buying too much crap.

At least I convinced myself I really only NEEDED to order one. I shall not make a collection out of AR-10s. I shall not make a collection out of AR-10s (but man, .308 completed upper and a lower for the regular price of just the lower. I couldn’t not get the set. I would have preferred plain, but not $150+ more preferred)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom