• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you do the paperwork on Tuesday, that is Day 1.

The next Tuesday is Day 8.

Tues - 1, Wed - 2, Thurs - 3, Fri - 4, Sat - 5, Sun - 6, Mon - 7, Tues - 8.

If you purchase on Sunday, it will be on the second Mon, no release on Sun. But remember, this law went into effect in the 60s, when MD still had Blue Laws and most stores were closed on Sunday.

The same thing with holidays. But, AFAIK, only the 10 major holidays count, the ones the schools and banks are closed on.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    What’s the process for buying a handgun out of state? Do you buy it and then declare it with a 77R? Or 77R and then go purchase?

Just wondering because I want to go look for a handgun in VA, I have HQL and whatnot. I just don’t want to purchase it and then go to register it and have them get me for an “unregistered firearm” or something

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What’s the process for buying a handgun out of state? Do you buy it and then declare it with a 77R? Or 77R and then go purchase?

Just wondering because I want to go look for a handgun in VA, I have HQL and whatnot. I just don’t want to purchase it and then go to register it and have them get me for an “unregistered firearm” or something

The only way to buy it out of state is through a FFL, and have that FFL ship it to a MD FFL. Then the MD FFL would give it you after passing the 77R and 4473.

i.e. You cannot drive to VA and buy a handgun from a dealer, or private party, and drive home with it. Doing so would violate Federal law.

Shop for a handgun in MD, or online. Either way it will go through a MD FFL.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You can buy from an individual in another state BUT it must be shipped to an FFL in MD. Once it’s there you would go in and fill out the 77R, wait 7 days, and then pick up. The seller could ship it to the FFL or deliver it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Jared on Guns and Gadgets yesterday said that Maryland HQL Appeal was upheld and the lawsuit is allowed to continue. Its really sad that we need permission to sue so we can have our rights returned. We should have never allowed it to be taken away in the first place!

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    The only way to buy it out of state is through a FFL, and have that FFL ship it to a MD FFL. Then the MD FFL would give it you after passing the 77R and 4473.

i.e. You cannot drive to VA and buy a handgun from a dealer, or private party, and drive home with it. Doing so would violate Federal law.

Shop for a handgun in MD, or online. Either way it will go through a MD FFL.

Unless you want to purchases it illegally.

aresdtr

Sep 25, 2013
    Laurel, MD
    There is no card. You take the application number and PIN to your gun store and pick out a gun (if you haven't already) and the store completes the MD 77R online while you fill out (online) the Federal 4473 form. The waiting period is 7 days, not 30, and the background check is completed well within that time (usually). The MDSP will send you another email saying you may pick up your firearm and back you go to the FFL to wrap up your purchase.

The only 30 day waiting period is between purchases of regulated firearms which are limited to one a month unless you have a Designated Collector letter in which case, knock yourself out. Another exception is that you may purchase 2 guns at the same time, same store, one transaction, but then you have to wait 60 days from the day you take delivery of them before you may purchase another regulated firearm.

Your questions are not stupid, the laws are.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    Daughter is amid the HQL process(she's stuck here for her job).

I refuse to play the game. I'll get by til I haul ass out of this Commy state.
    I feel you there even though I went for my HQL. Plus, I want out of this state. For now, I have my HQL but I'm letting it expire (now exempt).

Reezie

Aug 18, 2020
    can you head into your FFL and complete the 77r before the firearm arrives if you ordered online or do you have to wait til the firearm is physically at the dealer?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    can you head into your FFL and complete the 77r before the firearm arrives if you ordered online or do you have to wait til the firearm is physically at the dealer?

You have to wait until they physically have it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You can start the 77r and give the numbers to your FFL when it comes in. You don’t need to wait for it to arrive to start the 77r.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Buy it on a Thursday and the following Thursday is a “holiday” that no one has ever heard of (Native American Day in MD) and you’ll get the email Friday.

Today I found out this also applies to Wednesday holidays we all have heard of, like Veteran's Day. Submitted the 77r last Thursday (11/5) but it's still under review at MDSP. I was really looking forward to picking up today, but I should have known better.

S. Ritchie

Apr 5, 2023
    Thurmont, MD
    Day 6 of waiting for my 77R to clear, got an email that it was kicked back to the dealer. Self Employed is not a proper occupation. Have to clarify that and resubmit...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Day 6 of waiting for my 77R to clear, got an email that it was kicked back to the dealer. Self Employed is not a proper occupation. Have to clarify that and resubmit...
    I had to change mine to pharmaceutical sales because the MSP didn't like drug dealer. Seriously though, that's annoying.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Post Bruen, it is a question that shouldn't even be able to be asked.

Unemployed and retired are perfectly good answers for now.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    1. Why does it matter what my occupation is? That has no bearing on my right to purchase a firearm if I'm not otherwise prohibited.
    2. This is a de-facto ban on unemployed individuals purchasing firearms. Last I checked, unemployment isn't a prohibiting factor.
    3. I believe the W&C permit asks the same question - and I reiterate the above for that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom