• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 15, 2020
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Picked up a firearm earlier today and Mr. Sykes informed me he is no longer accepting transfers or processing applications. We chatted for a bit and in a nutshell, at his age he can no longer keep up with the workload all by himself. Once he gets caught up on the backlog he will be closing his doors for the foreseeable future and doesn't know if/when he will return. He is going to take some time off and is seriously considering retirement. He has informed MPD but doesn't know if they have a plan in the works for his replacement. I thanked him for his service to DC residents and wished him luck.

Looks like it will be long guns only for a while.

Heller III?

:sad20:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    DC already has a law in place that they will act as an FFL. Seems somewhat sketchy to transfer a firearm through the Mayor.

§ 7–2504.10. District as federal firearms licensee.
    (a) Whenever there is no active federal firearms licensee in the District of Columbia, the Mayor may seek from federal authorities a license for the District to act as a federal firearms licensee solely for the benefit of any District resident eligible and seeking to obtain a lawful handgun.

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2504.10.html

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Not giving any notice or warning seems like a crappy thing to do barring some unforeseen circumstance that's not apparent from your characterization.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    A Ruger PC-9 is your best bet. It has none of the other prohibited items and 10 rd Glock mags are easy to find (in MD as anyone knows). Not to mention several aftermarket competition parts makers make a lot of parts to turn them into decent match PCCs.
    As for penetration no common pistol caliber can penetrate a class 3A ballistic panel, but any rifle can. And generally .45ACP has less penetration than 9mm, depending on what you are trying to shoot thru or not.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    DC already has a law in place that they will act as an FFL. Seems somewhat sketchy to transfer a firearm through the Mayor.

(a) Whenever there is no active federal firearms licensee in the District of Columbia, the Mayor may seek from federal authorities a license for the District to act as a federal firearms licensee solely for the benefit of any District resident eligible and seeking to obtain a lawful handgun.

Hopefully the fee will go down!!!!!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hopefully the fee will go down!!!!!

I highly doubt it. They wrote the fee into the law. Ahhh DC, so funny.:lol2::rolleyes:

(d) The District may charge a fee to recover the cost of acting as a federal firearms licensee pursuant to subsection (a) of this section by charging $125 or its actual costs, whichever is less, for each handgun.

Jan 15, 2020

Sketchy indeed

It's good to know they already have a plan in place, but...

"by charging $125 or its actual costs"

It would be unfair for DC residents to be charged the same price that a private citizen charged for an exclusive service now provided by an entire government agency. Hopefully the system will be streamlined and the charge will come down to an administrative fee.

Question is - what would the actual costs be for govt. employees to receive and secure an FFL transfer, run a background check, process an application and issue a registration, all under one paperless system? $25, $50? Certainly not $125 (+$13.)

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I highly doubt it. They wrote the fee into the law. Ahhh DC, so funny.:lol2::rolleyes:

(d) The District may charge a fee to recover the cost of acting as a federal firearms licensee pursuant to subsection (a) of this section by charging $125 or its actual costs, whichever is less, for each handgun.

Im hoping on the (or its actual costs, whichever is less, for each handgun.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Im hoping on the (or its actual costs, whichever is less, for each handgun.

I hope so too, but doubt it because they have already made the process as difficult as possible. So I doubt they will try to make it easier.

"Actual cost" is such a meaningless term. It seems odd they will probably try to make a profit with a government run monopoly.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    i don't fault sykes for enacting rules that are NOT required, but he had a quite a few that I am sure MPD wont be able to do if they act as FFL.

for example sykes would not let you receive a firearm without magazines, which was just his own rule, and the first time MPD attempts to do that it will be sued.

I bought a gun that normally came with 15 rounders, and if buyer is in ten round states most places will swap for teners or give you cash credit and you find them yourself. But it was at peak of NYSAFE mag run and seller had no 10s to swap in so I took the cash credit and he shipped with no mags. it was very hard to find ten round mags at that time and Sykes would not transfer me the pistol unless and until I had 10 rounders for it sent to him. I don't feel I could sue sykes but if that were a government agency I would sue.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    i don't fault sykes for enacting rules that are NOT required, but he had a quite a few that I am sure MPD wont be able to do if they act as FFL.

for example sykes would not let you receive a firearm without magazines, which was just his own rule, and the first time MPD attempts to do that it will be sued.

I bought a gun that normally came with 15 rounders, and if buyer is in ten round states most places will swap for teners or give you cash credit and you find them yourself. But it was at peak of NYSAFE mag run and seller had no 10s to swap in so I took the cash credit and he shipped with no mags. it was very hard to find ten round mags at that time and Sykes would not transfer me the pistol unless and until I had 10 rounders for it sent to him. I don't feel I could sue sykes but if that were a government agency I would sue.

The magazine rule is not a Sykes rule, that is a DC policy. You cannot register a firearm unless you can fill out the PD-219 in entirety.

I tried to register a rifle lower that I was going to build over time and they would not let me because I did not own a barrel. Hence I could not prove the barrel length/finish/caliber...

The same thing happened when I tried to register a 1911 frame. In both cases I explained the legal definition of a firearm per the ATF as a serialized frame with no success.:sad20:

For DC you need to check all of the boxes on the form. Their interpretation of the law could probably be defeated in court. A firearm legally speaking is not a barrel or magazine.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Sketchy indeed

It's good to know they already have a plan in place, but...

"by charging $125 or its actual costs"

It would be unfair for DC residents to be charged the same price that a private citizen charged for an exclusive service now provided by an entire government agency. Hopefully the system will be streamlined and the charge will come down to an administrative fee.

Question is - what would the actual costs be for govt. employees to receive and secure an FFL transfer, run a background check, process an application and issue a registration, all under one paperless system? $25, $50? Certainly not $125 (+$13.)

Great question. I'd love to see some date from the city on that.

The magazine rule is not a Sykes rule, that is a DC policy. You cannot register a firearm unless you can fill out the PD-219 in entirety.

I tried to register a rifle lower that I was going to build over time and they would not let me because I did not own a barrel. Hence I could not prove the barrel length/finish/caliber...

The same thing happened when I tried to register a 1911 frame. In both cases I explained the legal definition of a firearm per the ATF as a serialized frame with no success.:sad20:

For DC you need to check all of the boxes on the form. Their interpretation of the law could probably be defeated in court. A firearm legally speaking is not a barrel or magazine.

I remember registering an M1 carbine several years back. I had to buy a 10-round magazine (that didn't feed for shit and I've not touched since), as the regular 15-rounders are verboten in DC. At the time I could have registered it with no magazine, but they'd have put it down on the form as a single-shot rifle. I'm not sure what the practical implications of that restriction would have been.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

I wrote a long draft with specif examples I know first hand of, but decided against it, given this is a publicly open forum. I dont know one or two people, but more than that who have registered already owned guns without bringing in mags and simply written "10" and who have asked for "variable" to be put on pd219 in caliber line, and had it put along with it stating "variable" on caliber field of card itself. What do you think you do when you have a conversion .22 kit for your 9mm and and don't want to get hung up?
    As far as registering lowers only you maybe up what is a not consistent situation across time and MPD firearms office personnel.

As far the applicant goes, putting "10" in that field is NOT in any way a fraud, perjury or misrepresentation of any kind if you are not going to carry or bring your 17s into DC.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I wrote a long draft with specif examples I know first hand of, but decided against it, given this is a publicly open forum. I dont know one or two people, but more than that who have registered already owned guns without bringing in mags and simply written "10" and who have asked for "variable" to be put on pd219 in caliber line, and had it put along with it stating "variable" on caliber field of card itself. What do you think you do when you have a conversion .22 kit for your 9mm and and don't want to get hung up?
    As far as registering lowers only you maybe up what is a not consistent situation across time and MPD firearms office personnel.

As far the applicant goes, putting "10" in that field is NOT in any way a fraud, perjury or misrepresentation of any kind if you are not going to carry or bring your 17s into DC.

I am not disagreeing with you , just posting my experience. Registration has never been extremely consistent with the application of policy.

People can write what ever they want in the PD219 fields. However in the olden days when you had to bring the firearm to registration they had a no magazine = no registration policy. I doubt they revoked that. I am fairly certain if you wrote 10 rounds and informed registration you do not actually own a 10 round mag they will not let that fly. It is a silly policy, but I do not want to suggest that others do something that could land them in trouble no matter how exceedingly remote the possibility.

100% agree that "multi caliber" is the way forward for anything that can be converted to another caliber. Per the Lt., if you write 9mm and buy a conversion kit, you must file and updated PD219 to be compliant with the law. I made that mistake once.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Doesn't the Ruger PC-9 have a threaded barrel?
    Without prejudiced or analysis of other qualification issues, while DC prohibits threads on a pistol barrel, it does not as far as I can tell prohibit them or require them to be absent, welded or obliterated on a rifle barrel if all other qualifications are met.

I am not giving legal advice, everyone should themselves make sure, and certainly you could get in trouble for constructive possession if you had a threaded riffle barrel and a prohibited barrel accessory in constructive possession in DC. But I can't readily find a specific prohibition on presence of usable barrel threads per se on a rifle that is otherwise compliant

Can anyone else see language that would prohibit a proper length rifle and proper length barrel where barrel has locktite thread protector, instead of welded/permanently disables threads as required in some othe rjuristicions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom