Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:47 PM #851
TinCuda's Avatar
TinCuda TinCuda is offline
Sky Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 614
TinCuda TinCuda is offline
Sky Captain
TinCuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 614
I got some tungsten weights to convert some of my standard buffers to H2s. I imagine this is a dumb question but I have never done this before. Usually just buy new buffers but I have too many buffers laying around. Thought I would give it a try.

Does it matter what order you stack the weights? I am making H2 buffers so one steel and two tungsten. Do the two tungsten have to be together on the back end to help the dead blow effect as the bolt closes or something?
Attached Images
 
TinCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:13 AM #852
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
Put the tungsten/s to the rear near the rubber cap.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:11 PM #853
Algot's Avatar
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
Algot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
My first AR15 build. I’m putting together my parts list and would like your input.

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower
Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Upper
WMD NiB-X Bolt Cartier Group
Bear Creek Arsenal 16” .223 Wilde Heavy Contour 1:8 Bear Claw Spiral Fluted Black Nitride
ALG Defense 12” M-Lok Rail
Geissele G2S Two Stage (SSA-E if the budget allows)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Algot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 11:05 PM #854
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algot View Post
My first AR15 build. I’m putting together my parts list and would like your input.

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower
Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Upper
WMD NiB-X Bolt Cartier Group
Bear Creek Arsenal 16” .223 Wilde Heavy Contour 1:8 Bear Claw Spiral Fluted Black Nitride
ALG Defense 12” M-Lok Rail
Geissele G2S Two Stage (SSA-E if the budget allows)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you usse BCA you should have headspace checked. I see them often for short Headspace issues.

I would avoid the NiB BCG. I see lots of problems with the coating. Phoapate and chrome lined is better. Toolcraft Phosphate BCG can be acquired for $80 and rarely fail my Gauging.

Otherwise a good list.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2018, 11:27 PM #855
Algot's Avatar
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
Algot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
If you usse BCA you should have headspace checked. I see them often for short Headspace issues.



I would avoid the NiB BCG. I see lots of problems with the coating. Phoapate and chrome lined is better. Toolcraft Phosphate BCG can be acquired for $80 and rarely fail my Gauging.



Otherwise a good list.


Thanks for your input. I found the Toolcraft BCG Phosphate at a few places.
I struggled with the barrel choice. Criteria are:
16” midlength
Heavy
Lightweight
.223 Wylde (preferred)
1:8 or 9 (preferred)

I went with fluted to save weight. I have nerve damage in my left arm, the lighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Algot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 04:14 AM #856
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
clandestine clandestine is offline
AR15 Technical Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 34,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algot View Post
Thanks for your input. I found the Toolcraft BCG Phosphate at a few places.
I struggled with the barrel choice. Criteria are:
16” midlength
Heavy
Lightweight
.223 Wylde (preferred)
1:8 or 9 (preferred)

I went with fluted to save weight. I have nerve damage in my left arm, the lighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could always build a pistol with a SBA3 Brace and a 10.5" barrel to cut weight down.

Otherwise I like Criterion barrels. Here is a HBAR middy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/criteri...em-barrel.html
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 07:26 AM #857
DaemonAssassin's Avatar
DaemonAssassin DaemonAssassin is offline
Why should we Free BSD?
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Political refugee in WV
Posts: 20,682
Images: 4
DaemonAssassin DaemonAssassin is offline
Why should we Free BSD?
DaemonAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Political refugee in WV
Posts: 20,682
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algot View Post
Thanks for your input. I found the Toolcraft BCG Phosphate at a few places.
I struggled with the barrel choice. Criteria are:
16” midlength
Heavy
Lightweight
.223 Wylde (preferred)
1:8 or 9 (preferred)

I went with fluted to save weight. I have nerve damage in my left arm, the lighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want some help assembling it, let me know, due to being local to you and having the tools.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by armed ferret View Post
If ignorance is bliss, some folks are just plain orgasmic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 07:31 AM #858
Algot's Avatar
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
Algot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin View Post
If you want some help assembling it, let me know, due to being local to you and having the tools.


Thank you for the offer. I will, gladly, welcome any assistance. Particularly with the barrel and gas block. The build is probably 4 to 6 weeks out, based on some of the vendors shipping estimate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Algot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 07:36 AM #859
DaemonAssassin's Avatar
DaemonAssassin DaemonAssassin is offline
Why should we Free BSD?
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Political refugee in WV
Posts: 20,682
Images: 4
DaemonAssassin DaemonAssassin is offline
Why should we Free BSD?
DaemonAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Political refugee in WV
Posts: 20,682
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algot View Post
Thank you for the offer. I will, gladly, welcome any assistance. Particularly with the barrel and gas block. The build is probably 4 to 6 weeks out, based on some of the vendors shipping estimate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whenever it all gets in, send me a PM and we'll figure out a day to put it together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by armed ferret View Post
If ignorance is bliss, some folks are just plain orgasmic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:22 PM #860
Algot's Avatar
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Algot Algot is offline
Junior Member
Algot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frederick
Posts: 38
Waiting on one part to show up. Last minute, I decided to order the Larue Tactical MBT-2S, instead of the Geissele G2S. It’s on back order.
Larue is expecting to fill the back orders in about 7 to 10 more days.
I opened all the parts and hand fit.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Algot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Robbiec
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service