• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    Just curious, for those who have shot small bore 3/4 position, when you shot kneeling how would you position your foot on your non-supporting side (i.e. right foot for right handed)?

Sit on the heel with the toes curled like a sprinter, same but with toes curled the other way, or tuck the foot so outside of foot is on the ground and butt is resting on the inside sole?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just curious, for those who have shot small bore 3/4 position, when you shot kneeling how would you position your foot on your non-supporting side (i.e. right foot for right handed)?

Sit on the heel with the toes curled like a sprinter, same but with toes curled the other way, or tuck the foot so outside of foot is on the ground and butt is resting on the inside sole?

Try all legal positions and see which works best for you. Different shooters with different physical builds will find assorted "Best" positions. Consult the rule book for shooting discipline in question for what is legal.

The only link I have handy is to the National Standard Three-Position Air Rifle Rules but it will illustrate what typical rules look like. Get a current copy of the rules governing your sport from the governing body.

National Standard Three-Position Air Rifle Rules. See page 21 section
    5.1.3 Kneeling Position for an example.
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rules.pdf?ver=051917

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    I have tried the positions. When in kneeling I tend to roll my ankle under, like my dad; which he mentioned was rare. This made me wonder what's popular and how many small bore shooters are still around in MD. Thus this post.

He also mentioned he completed against some kid who couldn't hold steady standing. He would scan his rifle across the target horizontally. Apparently it worked well from him. I wanted to hear quirks like that.

Long pointless troll threads seem to be more popular though.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    In case this is about practical rifle use and not some competition with rules governing kneeling, I prefer shooting from squatting rather than kneeling. Pretty much just as stable and much quicker to get into and go mobile again. For some reason the slav. style of squat appeals to me more than the Vietnam style.
    th

Dammit_Man

Jan 16, 2018
    In case this is about practical rifle use and not some competition with rules governing kneeling, I prefer shooting from squatting rather than kneeling. Pretty much just as stable and much quicker to get into and go mobile again. For some reason the slav. style of squat appeals to me more than the Vietnam style.
    th
    I was thinking competition shooting that wouldn't allow it, but I totally agree with your sentiment here. The squat shooting position seems like a great balance between stability and allowing the shooter to change position quickly. You don't see the squat position used much and I don't understand why.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I don't know for small bore but I was taught skeletal support/vs muscle support, and have always shot similar to this

Attachments

• IMG_2203.JPG
      IMG_2203.JPG
      72.7 KB · Views: 139

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Rule 5.1.3 talks of the kneeling roll. That's how to deal with it. The op wasn't talking about tactical Tommy but 3/4 P smallbore.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Sit on the heel with the toes curled like a sprinter, same but with toes curled the other way, or tuck the foot so outside of foot is on the ground and butt is resting on the inside sol

I always used a kneeling pad, in my case, a towel rolled into cylindrical shape. You can also buy nice ones here.

http://www.championshooters.com/ind...ategory&virtuemart_category_id=130&Itemid=111

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom