December Axis & Allies Match (also new class added)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    The next Axis & Allies match is scheduled for Saturday, December 30 at Delta Peach Bottom Fish & Game. Registration starts at 11:00 and the fun match starts at noon.

A class has been added for military rimfire trainers.

The match will be a very light competition with the emphasis being marksmanship, fun and few firearm regulations (other than safety). All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground. This is designed for the average shooter, not the high power match competitor.

$10 entry fee, use your own ammo
    Only one gun per shooter.
    Military issued rifles up to and including 1960
    Smokeless powder cartridge only
    No sporterized stocks or barrels
    Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item, to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period this match covers.(also for those with poor vision)
    Aftermarket scopes ARE allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.
    There will be three simple classes. Optics (anything using glass, and irons with front globe sights), Non-optics which is iron sights including rear peeps (but no front globe) and Rimfire for .22 trainers.
    The range will be at 100 yds
    The targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire
    Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.
    NO RIFLES ARE TO BE UNCASED OR BROUGHT TO THE SHOOTING BENCH UNTIL THAT COMMAND IS MADE BY THE RANGE OFFICER.
    Round count will be a non scored 3 round "site in" followed by 3 strings of 10 shots. 30 scored shots total. Total possible score is 300.
    There will be 5 to 7 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 10. Shooters will have 2 minutes to set up their bench after which at the RO command, they will have 2 minutes to fire 3 site in / fouling shots followed by a cease fire command. Next will come, at the R.O. command, the first scoring strings. After 2.5 minutes there will be a ceasefire AND ALL BOLTS WILL BE OPENED TO SHOW A CLEAR CHAMBER. Targets will be scored and patched and the shooters will return to the bench and shoot their second string and repeat for the third string. After the their third string the targets will be scored and pulled. The next wave a shooters will then go through the same procedures.
    All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own if you want to spot your shots.
    The 2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.

If you have any questions, post them here.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Looking ahead to next week, it appears they are now calling for either freezing rain or wintry mix on the same day as our match. Obviously, that could change as we get closer to the day. BUT, if the weather doesn't cooperate and the roads are slick, or slick roads are imminent, the match will be cancelled. Stay tuned for a message on this forum for an update.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I may have missed the post. :D Will there be hot chocolate? Left over Christmas cookies? A 55 gallon drum with fire in it (like the construction workers use)? :party29: Are kerosene heaters allowed? :innocent0

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    O.K. I've decided to pull the plug on the Axis & Allies shoot for Saturday. This is supposed to be a fun shoot and there is nothing fun about shooting in temps in the mid-twenties with a "real feel" of 17 degrees. The possibility of snow certain doesn't help. Stay home and stay warm.
    I guess we'll take this up again in Spring.

-Rod

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    As much as I hate to not shoot, I think that's a great idea. We've got a Fogo reservation with friends, so I will enjoy not being rushed for that. Everyone stay warm and we'll look forward to the spring thaw.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    As much as I was looking forward to it, you made a good call. Cold weather shooting can be really uncomfortable.

(Recollection of an old man :innocent0). Years ago, I did a Civil War re-enactment somewhere off the Potomac, that was so very cold (alright, how cold was it? :rolleyes:) I had to cut up a blanket to make scarves. We put extra socks over our shoes. Several brass frame revolvers wouldn't function. We figured that the brass & steel contracted so much & at different rates, that the guns got loose & went out of time.:tdown: Once they warmed up in the motel room, timing was fine.

That was not one of the fun-est events.:sad20:

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I agree!

Hard to exercise trigger control when you can't feel your fingers. Add snow on the range road and you are asking for cars in the ditch, 4wh or 2.
    Good call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom