• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Since the anti gun elites and crowd have reignited the good ole gun control debate flame,id figured it would be more appropriate to discuss here in this thread post las vegas massacre.i personally believe That our POTUS/Trump will be 100% on our side!

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    The simple truth is that there cannot be a debate. The left won't be happy until all guns are banned. That's all they care about. We can't give a single bleeping inch b/c it's a slippery slope and always is with "progressives."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seems like the country doesn't have the stomach for more gun control. We'll see. The fly in the ointment is the bumpfire stock. Even people who are moderately pro-2A don't see a need for that. I think those are going bye-bye. I don't know that anything else will get accomplished. Not on a national level, anyway.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'll throw this subject in as it's the only reasonable middle ground I see. Remove HIPPA protections from mental health history and attach them to the NICS system and create a list of disqualifying mental conditions to prevent people who are not sane from acquiring firearms. That's about as far as I am willing to go currently on

Now, for more a more contentious discussion, how about we discuss whether or not we remove the in-person transfer of long guns without a background check being required (much less an FFL)?

(Note: If someone has a valid C&R license a background check will still not be required.)

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'll throw this subject in as it's the only reasonable middle ground I see. Remove HIPPA protections from mental health history and attach them to the NICS system and create a list of disqualifying mental conditions to prevent people who are not sane from acquiring firearms. That's about as far as I am willing to go currently on

Now, for more a more contentious discussion, how about we discuss whether or not we remove the in-person transfer of long guns without a background check being required (much less an FFL)?

(Note: If someone has a valid C&R license a background check will still not be required.)

Katie bar the door ... Opening up HIPPA Pandora's box is the wrong thing to do, even with 'common sense' guidelines on what could be viewed.

No compromise !!!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Bump fire stocks ain't going anywhere. I will eat the ATF letter below if they do.

Attachments

• IMG_9378.jpg
      IMG_9378.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 1,041

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'll throw this subject in as it's the only reasonable middle ground I see. Remove HIPPA protections from mental health history and attach them to the NICS system and create a list of disqualifying mental conditions to prevent people who are not sane from acquiring firearms.

And then the next Democratic president will add insomnia, claustrophobia and every other minor disorder to the list of "disqualifying" mental disorders via executive order. No thanks.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Not only no, but HELL NO. This will ensure that people just won't go get treatment for their mental illnesses. How will that go? Who determines what condition is disqualifying? Who will have access to those records?

You know that people who meet certain criteria are reportable to NICS? NICS reporting is inconsistent at best. Tighten this up, and it will work better. Better yet, increase reimbursements for psychiatrists so more will take insurance and more people will go into the field. You can't treat or put people on "the lists" unless you have someone to diagnose and treat them.

Persons diagnosed with mental illness are no more likely to commit violent crimes than the general population. They are MUCH more likely to be victims. The vast majority are perfectly capable of owning and defending themselves with firearms and should be afforded the exercise of that Right. Also, if a Right can be restricted, there MUST be a path to the reinstatement of that Right. Such a thing generally does not exist.

What happens when the government deems conservatism a mental illness. This is too powerful an instrument to trust government with.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Not only no, but HELL NO. This will ensure that people just won't go get treatment for their mental illnesses. How will that go? Who determines what condition is disqualifying? Who will have access to those records?

You know that people who meet certain criteria are reportable to NICS? NICS reporting is inconsistent at best. Tighten this up, and it will work better. Better yet, increase reimbursements for psychiatrists so more will take insurance and more people will go into the field. You can't treat or put people on "the lists" unless you have someone to diagnose and treat them.

Persons diagnosed with mental illness are no more likely to commit violent crimes than the general population. They are MUCH more likely to be victims. The vast majority are perfectly capable of owning and defending themselves with firearms and should be afforded the exercise of that Right. Also, if a Right can be restricted, there MUST be a path to the reinstatement of that Right. Such a thing generally does not exist.

What happens when the government deems conservatism a mental illness. This is too powerful an instrument to trust government with.

Yeah, the correct way to prevent gun deaths where these drugs were a factor is to create provide mental health treatment in the country. Make treatment more accessible and remove the social stigmas associated with it. Treat the people BEFORE they get to the end of their ropes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah, the correct way to prevent gun deaths where these drugs were a factor is to create provide mental health treatment in the country. Make treatment more accessible and remove the social stigmas associated with it. Treat the people BEFORE they get to the end of their ropes.
    Yep. Putting people on lists only increases the stigma.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are 90% of people really in favor of background checks? I doubt it. I would have no problem with it if it were truly just used to weed out the criminals and .gov had no designs on using it as a registration scheme and actually respected the 2A.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Are 90% of people really in favor of background checks? I doubt it. I would have no problem with it if it were truly just used to weed out the criminals and .gov had no designs on using it as a registration scheme and actually respected the 2A.

The co president of the brady campaign said 90% of the nation supports universal background check,Dan Bongino was on air with her

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom