• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Credit card transaction would fail, as most if not all online transactions require your billing zip code to verify the credit card.

No I would say this happened but rarely.

Million and millions of transactions a day, practically all services bought online are not affected by address, and a heck of a lot of shipped purchases ARE to addresses other than CC address.

I just bought downloaded anti virus software, if it was on a stolen credit card the vendor and CC issuer would not know. My business is a service business and I often sometimes send gifts to to physical addressed not associated with me whatsoever.

My kids' grandmother lives overseas and can go on US amazon, order and ship to my kids. I actually recently ordered shipped two doors to a classic car to an extra space storage office place in Virginia with the addressee the manager of the place, billed to my Amex

Very rarely I have will gotten a small delay, or fraud alert call from credit card companies, where they call and confirm I ordered, but that is it.

Credit and debit card companies, and larger vendors, have huge data sets and very advanced algorithms to look for known patterns to predict fraud risk. Certainly no address needed or a different address are factors that contribute, but it is likely one of several needed to trigger a payment delay and call to you

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So let's break this down into the separate elements:

1) credit card policies: Not really a problem, you may get an alert
    2) the actual law
    2) vendor policies beyond the law: Vendors, especially those in business like liquor sales, bars, firearms and firearm part licensed dealers who risk huge fines, possible civil action or even their business; as well as unlicensed sellers like a individual whose entire firearms parts history is selling two 12 round mags they don't want; have every right to go beyond the law in protecting themselves. That they often do is called the "chilling affect" -- the more ill written the law often means the more likely people will err on the side of viewing it over-broadly.

so on #2, the law, I know on sales taxes for goods it is going to be the point of sale, which is virtually always defined as where the customer takes possession, ie destination/ shipping address -- not billing address. If you live in Maryland, and buy a product from a seller in Michigan, but have it shipped to Massachusetts, the tax "point of sale" is Massachusetts.

So the question is does the wording of this law
    In Maryland, no person may manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition.
    and existing case law on point of sale, allow Maryland to assert that a Maryland resident with a Maryland credit card can't buy from a Missouri seller and ship to Texas when typically this means the sale is not "In Maryland," ?

Maryland can't prohibit you, nor can it sanction you in any way if whiel visiting Los vegas you engage in gambling paid with your Md CC, in Nevada, even if that gambling is criminal in Maryland. They certainly cannot tell you you cant buy, with your md credit card, possess, and use 30 round mags while in Florida, and for that matter ship them to Texas for the nine months you are back in Maryland.

Then again, even on the chance it is illegal, vendors are going to be chilled, and unless you want to make yourself a test case, you shoudl take the alternatives which are no more of a hassle than getting a po box and taking a risk.

If you are like me (I live in DC and we simply have an illegal to possess >10 rnd mag within city limits law), I intend to retire outside of DC. I have a good reason to have 12, 15, 17 and 30 round magazines for various firearms kept outside of DC. When I retire and leave I will have them. In the event they somehow get banned due to a national ban, or where I intend to go by state ban, it maybe only new manufacture, or nee sales, they may well be grandfathered (win-win) or possibly bought back or allowed to be sold out of state (neutral). I;d give the risk that they will simply be banned confiscated and destroyed without recompense pretty low risk. I'll take the risk of having $300 worth of >10 mags stored legally elsewhere. Frankly the chance is they become worth more than I paid is also there.

But figuring out he how many angels can dance on the top of a pin on this Maryland law, is unnecessary. Interesting academically, but totally unnecessary, If DC had such a law, i would simply physically buy in Pa or Va (wherever I was going to keep them) one of which is going to be 10-40 minutes from 90% of the Md population. Ok you can find a 10 pack of 30 round AR mags for under $100 online and you may have to pay $120 in a physical store, you may pay 20% more for pistol mags too. But just make a list, make one run depending on which state you have a relative, close friend, etc where you are going to keep them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    No I would say this happened but rarely.

Million and millions of transactions a day, practically all services bought online are not affected by address, and a heck of a lot of shipped purchases ARE to addresses other than CC address.

I just bought downloaded anti virus software, if it was on a stolen credit card the vendor and CC issuer would not know. My business is a service business and I often sometimes send gifts to to physical addressed not associated with me whatsoever.

My kids' grandmother lives overseas and can go on US amazon, order and ship to my kids. I actually recently ordered shipped two doors to a classic car to an extra space storage office place in Virginia with the addressee the manager of the place, billed to my Amex

Very rarely I have will gotten a small delay, or fraud alert call from credit card companies, where they call and confirm I ordered, but that is it.

Credit and debit card companies, and larger vendors, have huge data sets and very advanced algorithms to look for known patterns to predict fraud risk. Certainly no address needed or a different address are factors that contribute, but it is likely one of several needed to trigger a payment delay and call to you

My answer was to the question of using the shipping zip code as the billing zip code. If the billing zip code does not match what the credit card company has on file, then it will most likely fail. As a small business owner that also does online sales, this has been the case in 100% of the transactions I have done, and purchasers have transposed the billing and shipping zip codes when they are different.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Does anyone know if Palmetto State Armory will ship to a PA address with a MD billing? Also anyone know if there is a thread with a list of online vendors that will do this ? I searched and couldn't find one.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Does anyone know if Palmetto State Armory will ship to a PA address with a MD billing? Also anyone know if there is a thread with a list of online vendors that will do this ? I searched and couldn't find one.

No list but PSA does ship to PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom