• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    The glass neded is what pushing me away right now.

I am doing the F Class shoots and I have an el cheapo 4x12 Mil Dot Scope. I am sure I would do better with better glass but I am up and running and able to hit the 1k mark

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    They make some decent glass that will do for starting up. SuperSniper, Wonder, Falcon, & Millett are a few that will do 'alright' and get you on paper starting up.

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    I just got my son into shooting and he wants to start using my 17 HMR that I just got but I enjoy shooting that gun. Its nice and smooth, has the accu-trigger and a scope although the scope is a relatively cheap one that I intend to upgrade later on.

Sure these aren't a huge caliber of rifle but they are so relaxing to take to a range to target shoot. Go to the range stressed from a long work week, immediately relax after the first shot is fired and hours later go home smiling and relaxed.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    It can be addicting, especially if you have a "friendly" competition going on at the range. I shoot a CZ 453 varmit, and for a box stock rifle the gun shoots amazingly accurate. But as said earlier Rimfire Central is a good site for everything rimfire.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    aint that the truth :innocent0

No need to convince me. This one cost as much as two AR's.
    (and it isn't done yet)

Nordic001.jpg

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    You guys are still more willing to spend big money on the hobby then I am. Maybe after a year or so I will start looking for upgrades to what I already have.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I am doing the F Class shoots and I have an el cheapo 4x12 Mil Dot Scope. I am sure I would do better with better glass but I am up and running and able to hit the 1k mark

I have a really bad habit of buying scopes twice (at least twice), and decided this time I'm doing it right, even if it means I miss a few monthly shoots to get the right rifle with the right glass. I may not be back until the Fall, but at least it will be with a rifle and scope that won't frustrate me and need to be replaced.

On the other hand, then I'll have nothing to blame my shooting on. I guess there's always the sun in my eyes. :innocent0

Last edited:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I just got my son into shooting and he wants to start using my 17 HMR that I just got but I enjoy shooting that gun. Its nice and smooth, has the accu-trigger and a scope although the scope is a relatively cheap one that I intend to upgrade later on.

Sure these aren't a huge caliber of rifle but they are so relaxing to take to a range to target shoot. Go to the range stressed from a long work week, immediately relax after the first shot is fired and hours later go home smiling and relaxed.

You're going to learn really quick that with that rifle that being an uber-paper sniper at short to medium range is very doable. The accuracy of the .17HMR round in a good rifle is phenomenal. At 50 yards the holes will overlap off the rest. It retains that level of accuracy out to 150 yards.

For building confidence and pleasure for your son, there isn't a finer rifle to do it with. I'm a big fan of the .17HMR for that reason. It is a huge amount of fun to roll a 3 inch target out to 50 yards and challenge a new shooter to hit it. With a properly dialed in gun, their disbelief turns to smiles and astonishment when they actually do it. It takes a match-grade .22LR and ammo to do what a .17HMR does out-of-the-box.

I've got cheap glass on my Savage .17 because it doesn't need much more. Since the gun can already park five rounds into the space of a dime at 50, I think the glass is just fine.

Matt

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    I have a really bad habit of buying scopes twice (at least twice), and decided this time I'm doing it right, even if it means I miss a few monthly shoots to get the right rifle with the right glass. I may not be back until the Fall, but at least it will be with a rifle and scope that won't frustrate me and need to be replaced.

So what scope are you going to get?

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    I threw a cheap scope onto an old .22 and went to the range. Two hours felw by. Now I understand why so many of you guys spend so much time...and money...punching holes in paper at long distances.

I love my pistols, but this was a completely different ballgame. Slow, precise, relaxing. It's like golf except....fun :).

I still love my pistols, but they are about self defense in my tiny little mind. With a pistol, I am all about aquiring the target and being consistant in center mass. With the rifle, it was all about dialing it in, breath control, trigger pull, and judgement. ...

I actually found my handgun shooting improved after I began shooting my rifle because of just that. The rifle emphasized those fundamentals and I transferred it to the handgun without even noticing.
    My last qaul score was 100 & 98.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom