• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Got a call this afternoon from a Lt. Allen, Badge 589, of the sheriff’s department. According to the caller both my wife and I have open warrants re failure to appear for jury duty and a related violation. He said that in order to clear up the matter we were scheduled for a two pm hearing, August 22nd in room 4C of the circuit court in Upper Marlboro. He said there was a $1,500 hold (or some such term) for BOTH my wife and I. No form of payment was acceptable except Green Money Packs that can only be obtained at Safeway and Food Lion…total $3K. Upon resolution of our cases, the Court would exchange these GMP for US currency.

We smelled a scam and called the Sheriff’s Office. My call was passed to three people, the last gentleman saying there was no such person listed in their roster and not to worry about it. I then called the court house. A clerk confirmed that we had no such appointment and then transferred me to another office to report the incident. That office was aware of this scam and said an Administrative Judge wanted to keep a list of all victims.

I can't figure the motive. Caller must be content to scare the heck out of senior citizens because there was no demand that money be given to him.
    Nasty world we live in.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The first motive I see is to get you out of the house at a predetermined time.

I don't want to scare you, but I would think they know where I live already.

Keep your head on a swivel.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    My guess it's to accomplish two things.

One get you to leave your house at a set time and place and two, to force you to deal in cash with the 3k.

Good on you for following up- hopefully someone can do a sting on these aholes.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    A Google search for fake warrant arrest scams is instructive. Looks like it's been seen around the country.

Think I'll call the AG'e office tomorrow.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The first motive I see is to get you out of the house at a predetermined time.

I don't want to scare you, but I would think they know where I live already.

Keep your head on a swivel.

My guess it's to accomplish two things.

One get you to leave your house at a set time and place and two, to force you to deal in cash with the 3k.

Good on you for following up- hopefully someone can do a sting on these aholes.

This and this ^^^.

My suggestion would be if at all possible to have you or your wife (or both) at the house during the timeframe and an hour before and after; armed of course.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You actually answered the phone from an unknown number to speak with whomever was calling you? In the age of "Caller ID"? Why? :shrug:

When my cell or house phone rings and it isn't a number I recognize, the incoming call ain't for me on the first try. :nono:

"Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...Maybe I'll get back to you"...

:rolleyes:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Green Dots are a favorite among inmates. You were most likely randomly targeted by someone on the outside (usually gang affiliated) who would in turn supply the number to an inmate if they were successful.

I wouldn't sweat it, you did the right thing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A similar type of scam is being attempted on green card holders indicating a failure to pay some sort of important visa fee years ago (two different people at work who are immigrants have gotten calls - people posing to be with USCIS or the FBI) or the elderly claiming a tax problem. The callers will spoof IRS, FBI, USCIS, etc phone numbers and invite the target to check a gov't website for confirmation. As mentioned above, one common thread is that the con artists seem to prefer green money dots or funds. They also claim that they need the money immediately. They want to keep people nervous and not give them time to reflect. I was next to the office of one guy who received such a call, and because we had a warning at work about such calls, he took his time stringing along the other party (playing extremely stupid) until the con artist hung up in frustration.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My dad got hit with a similar scam. I can't get him to NOT answer his phone from strange numbers. He is convinced that every phone number he doesn't recognize is me or some family member in an emergency.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    You actually answered the phone from an unknown number to speak with whomever was calling you? In the age of "Caller ID"? Why? :shrug:

When my cell or house phone rings and it isn't a number I recognize, the incoming call ain't for me on the first try. :nono:

"Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...Maybe I'll get back to you"...

This x1000. If I don't know the number and it's that important, you'll leave a message. Simple as that.

I had a something similar happen a year or 2 ago. I was getting hostile and threatening voice mails saying that I had some kind of domestic abuse charges and a restraining order and that the sheriff was going to come arrest me if I didn't call them back.

If the police are after you they wont be calling. They will be knocking on your door, or kicking it in depending on the charges.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Hind sight's 20/20. We were expecting calls from three different medical facilities, none for which did we know their number. When the caller ID'd himself as being with a police agency our first thought was another solicitation for money. Turns out it was in a strange manner of speaking.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Got a message last week from some foreign sounding man saying he was from the IRS and I needed to call him back immediately or face a large penalty. Googled the number and found many similar instances.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    A Google search for fake warrant arrest scams is instructive.

My father in law received a call from FL saying my son (his grandson) was arrested and he needed to wire $700 cash for bail. (He called me instead).

I have also received a call saying my son was in a car accident in Mexico and I needed to wire money for the hospital to treat him.

As my son is in the military and was not in the USA or Mexico at either time, the scam failed but I wonder how many elderly people they con.

No investment for them other than a telephone and a PO box, and if you hit jackpot on 5 out of every 100 calls it keeps going.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    This x1000. If I don't know the number and it's that important, you'll leave a message. Simple as that.

For those with family members out of the country/military, you never know how the Caller ID will show up.

Those calls from GITMO show up differently every time, usually from some gibberish numbers indicating Florida as the location.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Stopped at the Bowie police dept this morning. They've received several scam calls too! Man says there is nothing they can do, suggested we may get a follow up call telling us where to send money, didn't think our home was in jeopardy, and wished me a good day.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    My home phone doesn't have the voice mail/message system set up (intentionally), I just go by the name/number on the call ID; if I know the person and/or number, I answer, if not, Chuck U. Farley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom