Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    In this issue:

1. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals Grants the Stay
    2. Special Legislative Session - starting August 9th
    3. Annual Membership Meeting – September 8th, 4-5PM
    4. Membership Dues

Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals Grants the Stay

The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (CA4) has granted Maryland's motion for a stay pending the outcome of appeal of the Woollard case. This overrules the lower court's order that would have lifted the stay effective August 7th and takes us back to where we stood just a few weeks prior. While this is certainly disheartening, the much bigger issue remains the appeal of the case itself. Oral arguments will be scheduled at some point between October 23-26. A ruling on the case is likely to come at some point in early 2013. In the meantime, permit applications submitted to MSP can still be denied if you do not have a "good and substantial reason," so please bear that in mind if you had planned on submitting an application.

Special Legislative Session - starting August 9th

Governor O'Malley has called for a special session of the General Assembly beginning on Thursday, August 9 and it is likely to continue through the weekend. While this session is being called for the purpose of changing gaming laws, it is possible that there will be anti 2A activity afoot. Should this come to pass, we will need to once again respond in force as we did at the end of the regular session back in April.

While our email tool remains an effective method of communicating with our representatives in Annapolis, the greatest impact will be made by members willing to travel to Annapolis to meet with legislators. If this session extends into the weekend, it would allow you a rare opportunity to meet with your representatives without using vacation time.

Annual Membership Meeting – Saturday, September 8th, 4-5PM

MSI will hold its annual membership meeting at the Miller Branch of the Howard County Public Library on September 8th from 4-5PM. This meeting is our biggest of the year and is the one where we introduce officers and board members for the coming year. Elections for those positions will take place earlier in the day at a meeting of the Executive Membership. We will also be bringing you up to date on the legislative and judicial efforts that we are pursuing.

We will have people on hand to collect your dues as well as to sell the MSI gear that is available at our online store. Items purchased at the meeting will be discounted as shipping charges won’t be necessary.

We look forward to seeing you at 4PM on Saturday, September 8.

Membership Dues

For those that have not already sent in their dues for 2012-2013, it is now time to do so. Our membership year runs from October 1st through September 30th. As a courtesy to our members, we will apply any dues received after August 1st to the upcoming membership year.

MSI's activities are supported exclusively by membership dues and donations. We receive no outside funding whatsoever. As MSI is entirely a volunteer organization, no member of our leadership team receives any financial compensation. If you value the service that your grassroots 2nd amendment organization provides you in the defense of your rights, we ask you to not only renew your membership but also to bring along as many new members as possible.

In the past year, MSI has testified on your behalf on dozens of bills in the Maryland General Assembly and kept you up to date on the Woollard case, which has been paramount to our efforts in having Maryland recognize the rights which they have long denied us.

Outreach efforts at the Towson Town Spring Festival and Bowie Fest have been and will continue to be successful arenas for us to engage and educate our fellow citizens on matters pertaining to the Second Amendment in Maryland.

Unlike some other organizations, MSI does not litter your mailbox or email with solicitations for money year round. It has been our long standing policy to ask for money only during the membership period or when we have an immediate need for additional money to fund a specific project, such as the fundraising effort following the Woollard decision in March. Your generosity continues to impress us and these funds will be used to facilitate an advertising campaign that will enable us to reach out to a broader range of Marylanders.

MSI's readership continues to reach record highs with nearly 7,000 people receiving our email alerts. Your commitment as members will enable MSI to represent you and to further our educational efforts.

Membership in Maryland Shall Issue® is on an annual basis from October 1 to September 30. Those that have joined since August 1, 2012 will receive an automatic extension of their membership through 9/30/13.

Regular Membership is $10.00 per year. Regular members receive the MSI Update and are entitled to attend all regular meetings of MSI.

Executive Membership is $50.00 per year. Executive Members are entitled to all of the benefits of Regular Membership plus are entitled to attend meetings reserved exclusively for Executive Members. The Executive Membership level is for those individuals who wish to have a more active role in the legislative and outreach activities of MSI without taking on the duties of an elected or appointed position. Those wishing to become Executive Members must pay their $50.00 dues and make a written request to be considered as such. The Executive Membership will vote on each application on a case by case basis.

Dues may be paid electronically at the MSI website or sent via mail to:

Maryland Shall Issue®
    1332 Cape St. Claire Rd. #342
    Annapolis, MD 21409

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I just PMed someone for basically this information! Thank you for the heads up and clear post!!!!!!

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    That's a shame but not at all surprising. Thanks for doing what you guys do.

On a side note, I still am not a member of MSI. I'm fixing that tonight. I'm also going to sign up my wife and son, so don't be surprised by a membership application from a 5 month old :)

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Boondock,
    Just a "heads up"... I tried to raise my membership to Executive (currently regular member) and wanted to pay with a CC through paypal, well each time I received

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number." for 3 different cards...

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Boondock,
    Just a "heads up"... I tried to raise my membership to Executive (currently regular member) and wanted to pay with a CC through paypal, well each time I received

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number." for 3 different cards...

Interesting. My inbox has been blowing up all evening with notifications for membership renewals. I wonder if PP was just having issues when you tried?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I tried earlier too, and couldn't get paypal to work either. I'll try again in the morning.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Can't write and... um... "watch" at the same time?

Understood...

:D

I will be sending ours soon as well... but I don't know if I can send over the base right now. Had hoped to request Exec. Membership, but just too tight at the moment.

Match play moves too fast to get through the web payments windows, and the Internet connection here at the hotel keeps crapping out. Cannot wait to get home tomorrow afternoon, to a real Internet connection - might actually be able to get some work done.

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    I would love to come out to Annapolis on the 9th but due to an Army obligation I will be in New Jersey. Is there anything else I can do to help? I am already trying to convince my friends who will be in the area to come out in my stead.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I would love to come out to Annapolis on the 9th but due to an Army obligation I will be in New Jersey. Is there anything else I can do to help? I am already trying to convince my friends who will be in the area to come out in my stead.

For the moment, we wait. If anything should come up once the special session begins, we'll send out an update with a plan of action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom