• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Also, try try try to get the bill amended on the Senate side. If it were to then pass in the Senate, it would be different from the bill as passed by the House and would then need to be voted on again or sent to an additional committee for reconciliation of the two. More hurdles=good.

Why cant R senators just flood it with amendments?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Also, try try try to get the bill amended on the Senate side. If it were to then pass in the Senate, it would be different from the bill as passed by the House and would then need to be voted on again or sent to an additional committee for reconciliation of the two. More hurdles=good.

It should be easy to accomplish given that 740 was rushed out with all sorts of loose language and questionable definitions.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    Why cant R senators just flood it with amendments?

In committee? I'm not familiar enough with intra-committee mechanics to give you a firm answer; suffice to say that if this were a tactic that could actually prevent bills from moving through the process, it would have already been used, abused, and removed so the establishment can get done what it wants done.

At the very least the committee chairs have a huge amount of power over that part of the process, so I'm sure they can lock it down as much or as little as they like.

This is partly why I am thankful that Dumais is not on Judiciary, so that she was unable to control what happened amendment-wise to HB740. However! Take note that its crossfiled counterpart in the senate (SB882) is sponsored by Sen. Smith, who IS on the Judicial Proceedings committee, and has clearly given the issue of 3D firearms some thought, as evidenced by the stimulating back-and-forth he had with some people bringing opposition testimony during the hearing for that bill.

Since his bill does not appear to be moving, I am going to assume that he will pay close attention to HB740 since it was the counterpart and appears to be the focus now. I have no idea how he feels about the amendments, but at the very least he is both interested in the subject matter and sitting on a committee that can determine its near-term fate. IMO both he and Zirkin (com chair) should be of primary focus when it comes to applying beneficial pressure.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    They are moving the house version.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    They are moving the house version.

Yes, I was only highlighting the senate version because Sen. Smith sponsored it and he is on Judicial Proceedings which is considering the house bill, AND has already shown that he's willing to engage with the subject matter.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In committee? I'm not familiar enough with intra-committee mechanics to give you a firm answer; suffice to say that if this were a tactic that could actually prevent bills from moving through the process, it would have already been used, abused, and removed so the establishment can get done what it wants done.

At the very least the committee chairs have a huge amount of power over that part of the process, so I'm sure they can lock it down as much or as little as they like.

This is partly why I am thankful that Dumais is not on Judiciary, so that she was unable to control what happened amendment-wise to HB740. However! Take note that its crossfiled counterpart in the senate (SB882) is sponsored by Sen. Smith, who IS on the Judicial Proceedings committee, and has clearly given the issue of 3D firearms some thought, as evidenced by the stimulating back-and-forth he had with some people bringing opposition testimony during the hearing for that bill.

Since his bill does not appear to be moving, I am going to assume that he will pay close attention to HB740 since it was the counterpart and appears to be the focus now. I have no idea how he feels about the amendments, but at the very least he is both interested in the subject matter and sitting on a committee that can determine its near-term fate. IMO both he and Zirkin (com chair) should be of primary focus when it comes to applying beneficial pressure.

His bill didn't move because his Chairman didn't bring it out of the desk drawer. Just because a bill has a cross file and the cross file has made cross over does not in anyway guarantee that it will pass out committee in the 2nd house. Many bills that have had cross files have passed out of the house of origin, only to die in a committee desk drawer in the other house.

Cross file does not equal passage of either bill.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    His bill didn't move because his Chairman didn't bring it out of the desk drawer. Just because a bill has a cross file and the cross file has made cross over does not in anyway guarantee that it will pass out committee in the 2nd house. Many bills that have had cross files have passed out of the house of origin, only to die in a committee desk drawer in the other house.

Cross file does not equal passage of either bill.
    I am fully aware of all of this/I'm not sure what your point is, the earlier person's question was specifically about amendments to HB740 in JP. That bill is the primary concern now and it could very easily get a favorable vote from the committee.

My point in bringing up SB882 is to highlight that one of the committee members is interested enough in the issue to have filed the senate counterpart to the bill we are concerned with (besides his engagement with the opposition testimony which goes further to that point), and given that the bill we are concerned with is now in front of him we should keep that in mind.

Not sure what the disagreement/misunderstanding is here.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am fully aware of all of this/I'm not sure what your point is, the earlier person's question was specifically about amendments to HB740 in JP. That bill is the primary concern now and it could very easily get a favorable vote from the committee.

My point in bringing up SB882 is to highlight that one of the committee members is interested enough in the issue to have filed the senate counterpart to the bill we are concerned with (besides his engagement with the opposition testimony which goes further to that point), and given that the bill we are concerned with is now in front of him we should keep that in mind.

Not sure what the disagreement/misunderstanding is here.

No disagreement at all, just advising for those that don't that cross file does not equal a sure thing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ah ok cool. My bad.

Doesn't hurt to ask for clarification.

You pretty much have been spot on on the big picture stuff with regards to the legislature and it's workings. Keep it up, and I won't have to post so often.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    Doesn't hurt to ask for clarification.

You pretty much have been spot on on the big picture stuff with regards to the legislature and it's workings. Keep it up, and I won't have to post so often.

The system is positively byzantine. Its almost as if they don't want people to know what they're doing...

HEY

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The system is positively byzantine. Its almost as if they don't want people to know what they're doing...

HEY

Once you understand the big stuff, then the smaller details start to fall into place somewhat easy. The biggest surprise I had was that they do not follow Robert's Rules when in committee or on the floor.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

ziptiespec

I have a question about the most appropriate action to take in regards to this bill as well as the others that have crossed over. Yesterday I received an e-mail from NRA-ILA urging me to contact my state senator. This morning, while driving to work, I did just that. The nice lady that I spoke with informed me that the senator isn't on the committee currently reviewing the bill, but she'd take note of my opinion. I'm not concerned about how my senator will vote as she's supported the 2A unfailingly in the past. I do question the efficacy of the NRA-ILA's call to action however. Isn't it more effective to be contacting the members of the committee where the bill is currently being reviewed?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You do realize that ATF and all the Annapolis sausage making notwithstanding, if this passes whatever the COMAR says is what goes until the USSC overturn...

Attachments

• tyranny.jpg
      tyranny.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 358

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I have a question about the most appropriate action to take in regards to this bill as well as the others that have crossed over. Yesterday I received an e-mail from NRA-ILA urging me to contact my state senator. This morning, while driving to work, I did just that. The nice lady that I spoke with informed me that the senator isn't on the committee currently reviewing the bill, but she'd take note of my opinion. I'm not concerned about how my senator will vote as she's supported the 2A unfailingly in the past. I do question the efficacy of the NRA-ILA's call to action however. Isn't it more effective to be contacting the members of the committee where the bill is currently being reviewed?

Well, we should remember that it’s the vote in the Senate chamber—with all Senators voting—that determines its fate.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

The best answer is to do both. Your senator will give more weight to your comments, since you are a constituent, if and when the bill comes to a floor vote. The committee members may think you don't matter because you are not a constituent or maybe not the registered in the "right" party but they still pay attention to the volume of heat they are receiving because unhappy voters regardless of party effect the overall legislative picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom