How would you set up your sling on this AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Get a new buttstock. Most modern stocks from reputable companies have QD sling mounts built into the stock. I have no idea why your buttstock wouldn’t have a QD point, unless it is a budget or old stock.

I think it's a basic MIL-SPEC stock. This will be the first AR I've owned so I didn't go high end :). The idea is to see how I use it and to figure out what I want. Then I can either buy a new one if it exists or build it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    When you say "mount a qd point to your rear buttstock", do you mean the vertical rear where the recoil pad is? It seems that might interfere with the shoulder pocket.

not at the actual end where the recoil pad is, but along the buttstock, thinking you could attached a qd point with a backer plate, having to drill thru the side. may or may not work or the plastic may or may not be thick enough to support this. i'd just start with a hk or similar clip on the one end of your sling that would clip on the metal piece where a fixed sling would go thru.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    not at the actual end where the recoil pad is, but along the buttstock, thinking you could attached a qd point with a backer plate, having to drill thru the side. may or may not work or the plastic may or may not be thick enough to support this. i'd just start with a hk or similar clip on the one end of your sling that would clip on the metal piece where a fixed sling would go thru.

Makes sense. As you point out, this stock's vertical webbing slot, for example, might not be strong enough to support the piece in the URL I posted even though the part is made for this application.

The choices of AR parts can get overwhelming. I noticed a number of suggestions for Midwest Industries and Magpul. And for the sling swivels, standard duty, heavy duty, flush mount, raised mount. Is there a consensus that they're pretty much equivalent and buy based on price and/or eye appeal? Or does quality tend to be an issue even if you buy from a reputable retailer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom