How would you set up your sling on this AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Hello.

I'm waiting for delivery of an AR-15. It has a MIL-SPEC, 6-position buttstock. I believe there are quick-release sockets on the left and right of the M-LOK rail at the muzzle.

I'd like to be able to quickly attach / detach my sling. Any alternatives to replacing the stock? Either way, what parts do you recommend?

What additional part(s) do you suggest if I decide to attach the front of the sling closer to the receiver?

Thanks.

ETA: two-point sling, for retention and support

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    placement

Magpul makes a 1 point/2 point sling. The front attachment placement is your call. Some prefer closer to the end of the barrel, some closer to the receiver. Also depends on any front end accessories you may have or want on the rifle. I purchased a Ryker fore grip from rykerusa.com for my integral suppressed 300 blackout build. As such, my front attachment for a sling would have to be closer to the receiver, or just run single point.

here is a pic of the grip

Attachments

• rykerusa.jpg
      rykerusa.jpg
      73 KB · Views: 730

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Hello.

I'm waiting for delivery of an AR-15. It has a MIL-SPEC, 6-position buttstock. I believe there are quick-release sockets on the left and right of the M-LOK rail at the muzzle.

I'd like to be able to quickly attach / detach my sling. Any alternatives to replacing the stock? Either way, what parts do you recommend?

a lot of the buttstocks now do have the qr sockets, are you sure yours won't have them? and some (like the luth AR i bought) have 'holes' where you can screw in a socket.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    a lot of the buttstocks now do have the qr sockets, are you sure yours won't have them? and some (like the luth AR i bought) have 'holes' where you can screw in a socket.

Pretty much this along with most for-ends have QD holes too. If not, a simple end plate for your buffer tube with QD holes or a rail QD attachment should do the trick.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud

I've attached what's supposedly an image of the rifle. It does have a sling swivel on the buttstock but I'm pretty sure it's not quick release.

I see a slot toward the rear and a tab with a hole at the bottom front of the butt. Do you think they would serve for a socket?

This is my first time accessorizing an AR-15. What sockets do you suggest?

Attachments

• Stag_15_MX_M-LOK_Rifle_1__18906.1532115643.1280.1280__52773.1542721399.jpg
      Stag_15_MX_M-LOK_Rifle_1__18906.1532115643.1280.1280__52773.1542721399.jpg
      25.7 KB · Views: 465

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I use the Magpul MS3 Single QD Sling GEN2. That way I can switch from one point attachment to dual point attachment. The butt stock has a Quick Detachment point and the other end has a clip attachment. I keep going back and force between that arrangement and using a dual QD sling, like MS4 Dual QD Sling GEN2. I like these slings as you go from a carry/travel mode to an assault mode by moving he front attachment to an attachment located on the sling itself. Allowing you to fire the rifle on the move and then switch to your pistol when the rifle magazine is empty.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've attached what's supposedly an image of the rifle. It does have a sling swivel on the buttstock but I'm pretty sure it's not quick release.

I see a slot toward the rear and a tab with a hole at the bottom front of the butt. Do you think they would serve for a socket?

This is my first time accessorizing an AR-15. What sockets do you suggest?

These should be a simple set up

For the castle nut

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/7...attachment-point-ar-15-carbine-aluminum-matte

For the fore end

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/349625/magpul-m-lok-qd-sling-mount-aluminum-black

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Pretty much this along with most for-ends have QD holes too. If not, a simple end plate for your buffer tube with QD holes or a rail QD attachment should do the trick.

In this case it seems the forend is the M-LOK rail. I'm told the holes near the muzzle are QD sockets. That could server for the front attachment point although I may try to mount a socket closer to the receiver.

I like your end plate idea if I can't use the slot/hole on the butt. A search shows several vendors.

Any recommendation for these various parts? I'll be using a two-point sling for retention and support.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    ... I purchased a Ryker fore grip from rykerusa.com for my integral suppressed 300 blackout build. As such, my front attachment for a sling would have to be closer to the receiver, or just run single point.

here is a pic of the grip

That's a nice looking fore grip! I'll look into that after my first two priorities: sights & sling.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

yeah the rear slot is just another place to slide a fixed-place sling though. and that tab with a hole is the adjustment mechanism for adjusting the buttstock forwards or backwards.

if they haven't shipped it yet maybe see if you can upgrade the buttstock to one that does have sockets/flushcups.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ding

I use the Magpul MS3 Single QD Sling GEN2. That way I can switch from one point attachment to dual point attachment. The butt stock has a Quick Detachment point and the other end has a clip attachment. I keep going back and force between that arrangement and using a dual QD sling, like MS4 Dual QD Sling GEN2. I like these slings as you go from a carry/travel mode to an assault mode by moving he front attachment to an attachment located on the sling itself. Allowing you to fire the rifle on the move and then switch to your pistol when the rifle magazine is empty.

exactly.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so, absent you being able to get a different buttstock, seems you have two options. replace your end plate with one that has a qd socket like immediately above, or get the other one above that, that appears to slide on and sit behind your end plate.

if you are going to use a dual point sling though, i think it is better to have the rear attachment point at the end of your buttstock, so neither of these will help you there. with a single point sling, attaching it just behind the receiver (at the end plate) is better. so better to have both places for more options.

another dual point option is to get a qd swivel for the front (where you have the socket on your rail) and some sort of clip for the rear that can clip on the sling bracket hanging down at the back of your buttstock.

so something like this for the qd swivel:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...ton-quick-detachable-sling-swivel-1-1-4-steel

something like this for the clip:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/248672/magpul-paraclip-sling-swivel-1-1-4-steel-black

also, possible you could mount a qd point to your rear buttstock, not sure how sturdy it would be:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...le-sling-mount-anti-rotational-aluminum-matte

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I replied to your first post without seeing your second. Yes, this looks like a nice, simple solution. Is there a reason you'd go with the castle nut attachment instead of the end plate?

No not really. I have both set ups, and they both work well. The one in the link is super easy to install, that's why I posted it.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    {two messages with many suggestions}

Thanks for clarifying about the slot and tab. It seems the slot can actually be used for a QD socket. I came across this:

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

I haven't seen a fully rotational version, though.

I spoke briefly with the vendor. A rep sent me email later suggesting I buy a Magpul CTR buttstock from them or use an HK-style hook in the loop in the front of the stock. That's similar to your conclusion.

When you say "mount a qd point to your rear buttstock", do you mean the vertical rear where the recoil pad is? It seems that might interfere with the shoulder pocket.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Thanks for clarifying about the slot and tab. It seems the slot can actually be used for a QD socket. I came across this:

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-rotation-limited-buttstock-sling-mount-n-slot/

I haven't seen a fully rotational version, though.

I spoke briefly with the vendor. A rep sent me email later suggesting I buy a Magpul CTR buttstock from them or use an HK-style hook in the loop in the front of the stock. That's similar to your conclusion.

When you say "mount a qd point to your rear buttstock", do you mean the vertical rear where the recoil pad is? It seems that might interfere with the shoulder pocket.

Get a new buttstock. Most modern stocks from reputable companies have QD sling mounts built into the stock. I have no idea why your buttstock wouldn’t have a QD point, unless it is a budget or old stock.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    so much help and so many choices

I appreciate all the help and product suggestions.

I agree that an attachment point at the stock is best for a two-point sling, at least to begin. It seems like a hook or clip at the stock's built-in loop is the easiest way to get a feel for the rifle. And with an M-LOK QD sling mount, I can try out front attachment points on the rail.

Then with some experience with that setup, I can figure out what to add or replace. It probably won't be long before I'm deciding on a new stock with a QD socket and also a mount at the receiver's end plate. That will be the ultimate in sling flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom