• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I just use bacon. Buy it on sale and keep 10-20 pounds in the freezer. Do about 8-10 pounds deer to 1 pound bacon in my grind.

I’ve used packs of bacon ends quite a few times. They are a bit less expensive than strip bacon and comes in 3 pound packages.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Like others have mentioned, use of pork is good for the burger. I made up a bunch of "test batches" and the family settled in on one. It is 80% deer, 20% pork shoulder...ground 2 times(probably overkill) and then I take 1/3lb of bacon to every 1lb of mixture. It's heavy on the pork, but the family eats it. I think one year we made up 60lbs of it for the extended family. They all seemed to enjoy it.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I love plain venison burgers....just some spices,onion, garlic and some cheese.I once added some bacon to the ground meat and didnt like it too much.But looking back.....that was with a processor years ago.Maybe its time I tried again

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I love plain venison burgers....just some spices,onion, garlic and some cheese.I once added some bacon to the ground meat and didnt like it too much.But looking back.....that was with a processor years ago.Maybe its time I tried again
    I just like mine plain also...salt pepper and when they are done a sprinkle of granulated garlic powder....bam!

My next project is to start making deer hamburger and deer steakburger. I have the grinder but need to get some fresh pork fat from the local butcher. He already said he'd give some to me but I haven't taken him up on it.

If I want pork on it I just add bacon. I dont like diluting the flavor of the burger.:D

SigZag

Aug 4, 2019
    Rockville
    Sometimes the old girl will marinate them in buttermilk before they go on the grill. Every once in a while black coffee with chopped garlic and onion with butter or whatever she chooses depending on what the cut looks like. On to the grill for just a very short time.
    I had a buddy way back that swore by the buttermilk marinade, he would soak it for a least a day before grilling. I don't know exactly what the buttermilk did but damn those steaks were good!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I had a buddy way back that swore by the buttermilk marinade, he would soak it for a least a day before grilling. I don't know exactly what the buttermilk did but damn those steaks were good!
    I think the enzymes help break it down a little and make it more tender, and also supposed to help if its gamey.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    This is the steak thread, guys. LOL!

I grilled two backstrap steaks from last years deer I have left Monday at 1/4 flame and for 3 1/2 minutes. They came out perfecto!

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    A digital read thermometer transformed the venison game for me. I used to always over cook and it would turn out chewy. If you like rare, start out at 127 and figure out your liking. I would not recommend cooking venison (steaks, backstrap, etc) above 140. I usually run mine to 130ish. As most know, it cooks quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom