Dumping the semi, Getting a Sporting O/U; Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Better is to switch hands.

Actually puts the dominant hand on the fore grip for better gun control.

Better than forcing to the non-dominant eye.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

I agree with Pinecone. A friend of mine was shooting right handed for years and could never break 20. He took a class with one of the instructors at the club and found out he was left eye dominant. The instructor had him shoot left handed and he never looked back. It took him a few months to get the hang of it but he is now crushing it on the skeet field.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    So you had a very solid Beretta 680 something and sold it for a CG? Wow!

Yep, then bought two more CGs. I am glad I did every time I go to the club.
    Why have 3, because they are for different purposes. (Trap and SC 12g guns, and 20g Skeet gun)
    Don't get me wrong, the Berettas were nice guns, but the aesthetics and feel of the Cgs won the day.

Attachments

• CG10.jpg
      CG10.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 209

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County

Definitely switch hands. As a 4-H shotgun instructor, we have had many kids show up at practice "knowing how to shoot", but missing most targets. When we check their eye dominance, the are often cross eyed dominant. They are usually reluctant to switch hands since dad or granddad taught them to do it this way, but once they switch hands, they start breaking more targets after only a couple of rounds. And, it starts to feel natural fairly quickly, especially for younger shooters. It feels very strange at first, but in the long run, you can teach your hands what to do, but nature controls your eyes. In shotgun, your eye is the rear site, so you better get that right first.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I agree with Pinecone. A friend of mine was shooting right handed for years and could never break 20. He took a class with one of the instructors at the club and found out he was left eye dominant. The instructor had him shoot left handed and he never looked back. It took him a few months to get the hang of it but he is now crushing it on the skeet field.

Yes, I know this. Went through it with my sister when she was in her 20's. She was able to switch to her left hand easily. My 9 year old is giving me grief about it and he would rather try the painted sunglass lens. Yep, I know it will suck to wear the glasses while we are out hunting because it will be harder for him to pick up additional birds and he will lose depth perception.

This has a component of child rearing in it too. I don't usually force my "wisdom" on my kids. For example, we had to go to my 11 year old's choral.concert then other day. The 6 year old wanted to wear a dress but when I suggested she wear leggings with it because it was cold.oit, she did not want to. I did not argue with her. I let her go outside without leggings. Guess what happened? Before we even got to the truck she was asking me of she could go back inside and put on leggings. It is going to be the same way with this entire shooting issue. I will let him try it with the lens colored black. Hopefully, when he is not killing much or breaking much, he will ask to try shooting left handed. Otherwise, I will suggest it again later on down the road.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes, I know this. Went through it with my sister when she was in her 20's. She was able to switch to her left hand easily. My 9 year old is giving me grief about it and he would rather try the painted sunglass lens. Yep, I know it will suck to wear the glasses while we are out hunting because it will be harder for him to pick up additional birds and he will lose depth perception.

This has a component of child rearing in it too. I don't usually force my "wisdom" on my kids. For example, we had to go to my 11 year old's choral.concert then other day. The 6 year old wanted to wear a dress but when I suggested she wear leggings with it because it was cold.oit, she did not want to. I did not argue with her. I let her go outside without leggings. Guess what happened? Before we even got to the truck she was asking me of she could go back inside and put on leggings. It is going to be the same way with this entire shooting issue. I will let him try it with the lens colored black. Hopefully, when he is not killing much or breaking much, he will ask to try shooting left handed. Otherwise, I will suggest it again later on down the road.

Good strategy :thumbsup: As a father of two young girls, I completely understand your example :D

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I am curious; I see shooters here who have said a Browning fits them but not a Beretta and vice versa. Has anyone ever tried a Caesar Guerini that would not fit them??

I like the fit of 12 gauge Berettas, I do not like the fit of 12 gauge Brownings. I had a 12 gauge Guerini and did not like it, felt it was somewhere between the two, maybe closer to the Browning despite being an Italian gun.

A more knowledgeable person could probably record all the dimensions of these shotguns and explain the difference in fit but to me the Brownings feel tall, narrow and "tippy". The Beretta seems shorter and wider with the stock, receiver and rib more in-line.

I like them all in 20 gauge though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

When I was shooting a lot and instructing, I had two male friends who had this issue.

I had each of them switch to left handed. Their first round, they could barely load their shotguns (over and unders) "wrong" handed.

BOTH, shot their BEST round ever the first time they shot with their dominant eye instead of dominant hand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My 9 year old is giving me grief about it and he would rather try the painted sunglass lens.

A small piece of Scotch tape, on the lens to just block the dominant eye from seeing the bead is all that is needed.

I used that with a lot of women, who do not have a true dominant eye.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    A small piece of Scotch tape, on the lens to just block the dominant eye from seeing the bead is all that is needed.

I used that with a lot of women, who do not have a true dominant eye.

I've used the scotch tape as well...to good effect.

People who shoot 'with' their dominant eye usually show more potential to be good shots over time. But I know a few who become pretty proficient shooting cross dominant (using a blocked lens) with one having learn to close the dominant eye so that he doesn't need his lens blocked.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Little side note for those interested...Cabelas has Herters target and game shells on sale for $4.97/box with free shipping >$50. No tax if you pick up in store.

Good practice ammo for those throwing lead at clays.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would shoulder both the Beretta and the Browning before purchasing. The Browning fit me whereas the Beretta did not. The Caesar Guerini is a nice gun but above the budget you listed. Jack Bart is a Caesar Guerini elite dealer and is in MD. You can meet him at one of the skeet ranges in Md. and shoot one if you like.

So I ended up getting a Browning CXS and being fitted by Jack Bart. I am happy with the results so far.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    This. Go through Joel Etchen for a Beretta or speak with August Crocker about a Caesar Guerini.

It was a tough decision for me but ended up with a CG and couldn’t be happier.

Goodness that wood is gorgeous

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom